Sign in to follow this  
ericmschwanke

What cutter for me? New to the scene - Mac User

So I have been hand cutting my vinyl for random things around the house to make decals on the wall just for fun.

I am curious for the price to get the 28-inch US Cutter to explore more into this.

I really am only going to be cutting shapes and text for walls. Is this the cutter for me? I run two Mac (both on Yosemite 10.10) I run Adobe Illustrator on all my machines.

What is the name of the 28 inch cutter that your looking at?   If it is the MH series cutters,  they are NOT Mac compatible and will not be supported for a MAC. It says that on the ad.  A SC cutter would be a better option.   It all depends on your budget.

Here is the UScutter buying guide

http://www.uscutter.com/index/page/static/subpage/buying_guides_new

USCutter MH Series Vinyl Cutter w/ Sure Cuts A Lot Pro Design & Cut Software

The MH Series Vinyl Cutter is available in 14", 28", 34", and 50" sizes. Cutter not Compatible with Mac.

This is also at the bottom of the Amazon ad:

NOTE: This cutter does not work with Mac.

Perfect. I was reading reviews on it and people with Mac said they were using that with no issues. Thanks for the heads up.

Perfect. I was reading reviews on it and people with Mac said they were using that with no issues. Thanks for the heads up.

The older MH series was Mac compatible, the newer MK2 is not Mac supported. Your welcome.

Sign Cut Pro will work with Yosimite...not the most user friendly program but you use Illustrator so just do all cut ready layouts there and get the Signcut Plug-in for Ai and send it straight to SC just like you would a printer. Super easy.

I have a Titan 2 on an IMac running Scalp 4.0 on USB and love it - works great

I ended up getting the US Cutter Laser II.

Have been doing a lot of messing around. works perfect with my Mac and Illustrator. Love it so far!

• Like 1

That cutter probably came with SCALP. If you find you are having any issues the SignCut Pro Moody mentioned is a great route for mac users. I once had a P-Cut similar to your Laser II and back then they sent them with SignCut. Fell in love with the utility of the program and have been using it ever since even when I upgraded to the Summa. Very specialized program that does take a bit of learning but super handy and has step-by-step cutting which was very helpful when I had my budget cutter that had issues off tracking on long jobs. 

Newbie here: Could I use this cutters to make heat transfers for T-Shirts? 

pretty much any cutter can be used to cut heat transfer material along with a heat press to make shirt decorations

• Like 1