Sign in to follow this  
lovelock

Creation CTO630 - Poor cut quality / rounded corners

Having some issues with a new cutter. Purchased brand new, its a Creation CTO630.

I am using Illustrator and signcut.

Initially, the blade was loose so I had to tighten the two bolts. I cannot seem to get it to cut good enough quality however.

I had a Liyu before which was perfect out of the box, I thought getting a creation would have been a better choice but not so much.

Some pictures of the cuts are attached.

Its not as clear in the pictures, but the corners are slightly rounded, and the U's have small notches cut from the bottom.

Im pretty sure my Liyu was cutting corners perfectly square even with lettering at less than 1cm in height. The example cut in the pictures above is with lettering around 10cm!

Oddly, when using a pen instead of a blade the corners seem pretty much okay. My offset is 0, and the overcut 0.2.

I did higher the offset in 0.5 increments but it made the corners / cut worse.

Any suggestions?post-91317-0-69566100-1424211577_thumb.jpost-91317-0-95003700-1424211579_thumb.jpost-91317-0-24345100-1424211581_thumb.jpost-91317-0-77894500-1424211582_thumb.j

It would appear that the offset is not being sent to my cutter.

No matter how much I change it, it doesnt change the cuts. Not even at 100!

No option for offset on the cutter neither.

Any ideas? On a mac, cto630 and signcut productivity pro.

When my pcut CT0630 first arrived the blade holder/cutter head wasn't of the best quality, Sorry guys.

I diddent even try it, I brought a aluminium bodied cutter head and fitted it in place of the plastic effort and began setting  up.

I run it at pressure@120 and speed@30 for all the vinyls i have,

Ive also invested in a few different angled blades, Would i be right in thinking the shallower the angle the thicker the vinyl it can cut? like textured finishes and the like. Ive not meddled with blades before so its all trial and error.

WOW.....  I had no idea there was a UKCutter also. 

Do they have their own forum also?

Yes, they do.  But it does not look too current..

When my pcut CT0630 first arrived the blade holder/cutter head wasn't of the best quality, Sorry guys.

I diddent even try it, I brought a aluminium bodied cutter head and fitted it in place of the plastic effort and began setting  up.

I run it at pressure@120 and speed@30 for all the vinyls i have,

Ive also invested in a few different angled blades, Would i be right in thinking the shallower the angle the thicker the vinyl it can cut? like textured finishes and the like. Ive not meddled with blades before so its all trial and error.

Typically the 45deg is for regular cutting and the 60 would be for thicker. Many people use the 60's for intricate work as well. The tip is thinner on the 60 which is a little less durable but there is more blade available to cut through thicker materials. My Summa runs a 36deg standard balde and I cut all kinds of tiny stuff with it so I have decided that the angle may or may not make that much difference at the end of the day. Quality of blade does however make a difference and a lot of the cheap ones are kind of crappy so IMO it's better to spend $15 on a high end blade that will last a year vs 5 cheapo blades that you toss every 2 or 3 months. If you are cutting severe material like glitter or blast resist then that might wear a good blade down quick enough to rethink that math but for normal stuff I buy good blades.  

when you talk about the blade offset... what is that exactly ... sorry newby here... I am having the same problems thanks

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cher2086 said:

when you talk about the blade offset... what is that exactly ... sorry newby here... I am having the same problems thanks

A cutter blade is actually offset from the center point of the axis, this will cause the blade to round the corner either with rounded corners or with little hooks.  The offset adjustment corrects for the amount the blade is "offset" from that center point of the blade shaft.  It is a minute amount but makes a big difference.

9 hours ago, Cher2086 said:

Think of it as the castor wheel on a shopping cart. In order for the tip of the blade (equivalent to the center of the shopping cart wheel) to make a square corner at the right place the cutter has to drag the actual center point a little past the actual corner so when it then starts to go the next direction the point makes the corner at the exact spot. This minute number can even change during blade wear and need slight adjustments near the end of the blade life. 

• Like 1