JonnnScott

631 and transfer tape.

I had someone come to me to cut them a pretty good size wall decal for their business. I have been using nothing but oracal 651 and 751 since ive started cutting. So now I have to buy some 631 for the wall decal. My question is do I have to use a special transfer tape or will the GreenStar Layflat Classic Transfer Tape that I have been using work fine?

You could try a sample on your own home with what you have  and see if it would work, maybe, maybe not ,,,, or use the correct tape for the job to start with..

http://www.uscutter.com/ORATAPE-HT55-Decorative-Film-Transfer-Tape-for-631-Vinyl

This would be why im asking. Looking for someone who has tried it before. Yes i can order the 631 wait for it to come. Cut something try my transfer tape and if it doesnt work, order the right tape and pay for shipping again and wait again. Orrr someone that has tried could chime in and help out. I dont do wall art I use my cutter for car decals and thats about it. So buying 100 foot of tansfer paper ill never use again is pointless if the 500+ feet I have of other tape will work. Thanks for your input but it didnt help me at all.

Order the HT55 and be done with it. You can use it on 651 too. I killed off a roll that was sitting around that way only to get 3 wall art jobs right after I used it up.

• Like 1

Some people find that the regular tape does not stick well to matte vinyl..Which 631 is... Also regular tape can be too tacky for the 631, which has a different adhesive, as the 631 is removable...and not permanent like 651 and 751...  I have never used Greenstar tape.   It is rebranded something,  don't know the real brand.

• Like 3

As a side note I just installed a logo on a salon wall Friday and used 4076RLA without problem but I'm a firm believer if a customer is installing give them what is known to work like the HT55.

• Like 2

Some people find that the regular tape does not stick well to matte vinyl..Which 631 is... Also regular tape can be too tacky for the 631, which has a different adhesive, as the 631 is removable...and not permanent like 651 and 751...

See now this is a helpful answer. Thank you.

See now this is a helpful answer. Thank you.

Are you installing or are they?  And make sure the walls can accept 631 vinyl..As some paints that have teflon etc to clean easy,. will not stick to them..

Are you installing or are they?  And make sure the walls can accept 631 vinyl..As some paints that have teflon etc to clean easy,. will not stick to them..

It is a friend of mine, so we will both be installing it. Ill ask him about the paint, I do remember seeing that before thank you for the heads up, I almost forgot to ask him.

I've used an assortment of tapes on 631, most do OK, as long as you have a fresh roll of vinyl. Don't know any reason why the greenstar, wouldn't.

HT55 will work best for 631 & it works great for 651 too. Most other paper tapes will work, but HT55 is the best. I have done several side by side tests.

Some people find that the regular tape does not stick well to matte vinyl..Which 631 is... Also regular tape can be too tacky for the 631, which has a different adhesive, as the 631 is removable...and not permanent like 651 and 751...  I have never used Greenstar tape.   It is rebranded something,  don't know the real brand.

Greenstar tape is rebranded MainTape.

HT55 will work best for 631 & it works great for 651 too. Most other paper tapes will work, but HT55 is the best. I have done several side by side tests.

Greenstar tape is rebranded MainTape.

If Greenstar is rebranded Main Tape,  Then why would they sell Main Tape on their site? Hmmm  I do use Main Tape and like it real well, switched many years back...From R-Tape.  

Do like jaybird says

Spring for the ht55 and use that as well as use it for the other Oracal's  I use it for 651 as well and am going to try it with 751 Matte tomorrow

Its great tape

HT55 isn't greenstar it is specifically made by Oracal/Orafol for the 631. I called and talked to the tech about it to see if it was suitable for everyday use. They told me that it is a medium tack with extra adhesive to it will reach down into the matt finish (my words not theirs) I have used it quite a bit for everyday use too on 651 and 751 and it does work but sometimes that medium tack is a little mild for keeping a good hold on little letters. For the 631 I think it is reported to be the best option. good grip but medium hold for easy release off indoor walls that are usually textured. 

• Like 1

If Greenstar is rebranded Main Tape,  Then why would they sell Main Tape on their site? Hmmm  I do use Main Tape and like it real well, switched many years back...From R-Tape.  

GreenStar app tape has MainTape part numbers on the inside of the tube. Signwarehouse also carries MainTape & house branded Digi Wrap, which is MainTape.

GreenStar app tape has MainTape part numbers on the inside of the tube. Signwarehouse also carries MainTape & house branded Digi Wrap, which is MainTape.

OK   thanks

If you don't use HT55 you will HATE trying to get the regular transfer tape off...it's so horrible I almost want to cry.

If you don't use HT55 you will HATE trying to get the regular transfer tape off...it's so horrible I almost want to cry.

It must depend on the wall. I used it on red and black 631 last week and it worked fine and I was worried about it not releasing properly.

Yea, if you don't wipe down the wall you are in for a treat!  Just a quick wipe with some windex works for me

Yea, if you don't wipe down the wall you are in for a treat!  Just a quick wipe with some windex works for me

remember windex has ammonia - eats adhesive - wipe down with alcohol afterwards

• Like 2

I have had my best luck dry wiping with a microfiber or pre-wiping a day or two early so all the moisture has time to evaporate completely. That 631 doesn't like wet surfaces AT ALL. I avoid indoor unless someone twists my arm. 

• Like 1

What in the world did we ever do, before there was HT55 tape?

Cry, obviously!

Thanks for this thread... I'll probably pick up some HT tape.

Bear in mind that HT-55 was designed by Orafol specifically for 631 vinyl. I assume they had complaints and came up with the solution. Orafol has a whole line of tapes but you typically only see HT-55 out on the market with R-Tape being a more well known brand.