Sign in to follow this  
lablover

Thought I had some sign to do

So my good Friend and Neighbor  asks me if I can do yard type sign for her Golf Outing she's putting together.  She also want's Golf Towels, and Can koozies.  I get a bit excited and start looking at 18x24 sign and the metal rods.  Ok, not too bad at us cutter.

She then informs me she found a place online that can do the same sign with printing on one side one color for 2.88 per sign.  I told her no way I can ever come close to that and she should order them from them.  She was like...awww, I want you to do them......

She's having "Hole Sponsored By" then she will put a Company name of the sponsor separate.  She did say I could do the Co. names.

How the Hell does one even compete with this 2.88 per sign.  She wants 75 of them.  I'd love o do them but no way I can without loosing money (labor).  I think my cost was 2.50 isn a sign from us cutter.

Good thing is I get to do the towels and can koozie.  I have no clue what to charge for the towels and can thingies...All Sublimation.

Funny, I can't get over how cheap those sign are....Guess when you make 10 gazillion you can mark em down right...LOL...Kind of makes me cranky.

She also wants t-shirts and I told her 12.00 a shirt for her.  She had some screen printed last year for 6.50 a shirt.  Again I told her I can't compete with that and she said thats fine, I like your better  :)  She was being nice I think.  Plus she docent want as many as she had made last year....lol

She did say I could put my logo on the back of the signs if I wanted too...hmmmmmm

Time to experiment with golf towels  ;)

2 words screen print. They print the signs so it takes seconds and cost pennies. Other option is they do them on a flatbed printer with uv cured ink but normally that's for full color designs.

• Like 2

Jay nailed it and that's probably also why she wants you to do the name part because they would have to do separate screens or something else to make individual signs.  I usually just bow out same as you did. With the shirts I usually have them get an apples for apples quote for HTV if they have a screen print number just to show them that my number is competitive with the same product. 

Jay nailed it and that's probably also why she wants you to do the name part because they would have to do separate screens or something else to make individual signs.  I usually just bow out same as you did. With the shirts I usually have them get an apples for apples quote for HTV if they have a screen print number just to show them that my number is competitive with the same product. 

HTV is competitive with Screen printing.  The shirt she had done last year was a 2 color full logo on the back and a breast image.  6.75 ea.....I mean I could do them for that but, isn't that a bit low?

Well there's probably some shipping to be added to the cost of those signs...

but yes, it's near impossible to beat those prices.

Of course your neighbor doesn't consider the 2 hours they spend designing their own sign..........

Plus the wire stakes usually aren't discounted.....they get $1 each for those plus shipping.

There are jobs you just have to thank them for thinking of you but decline to

compete with CHEAP!  Promote your LOCAL / CUSTOM work and quality

and move on.

Sue2

• Like 4

HTV is competitive with Screen printing.  The shirt she had done last year was a 2 color full logo on the back and a breast image.  6.75 ea.....I mean I could do them for that but, isn't that a bit low?

If you are getting shirts at $1.75 which is pretty much cost on s-xl that only leaves you with $5 for the vinyl. That's pretty cheap. I work pretty cheap but not quite that low. About the lowest I have ever been willing to go on two color full back/crest front was $6 for the HTV and some mark-up on the shirts. They came in at a few cents over $8 but the design was really simple and fast to weed. I usually go for about $8 just for the vinyl in that kind of application. Screen print definitely has it's place just like everything else. I upsell my customers the improved look, feel and toughness of the HTV.  

• Like 1

Yes, the HTV is tougher and holds up to washing much better....

in fact, it will outlast the shirt itself!  

For some uses, like your golf outing, this may not matter.

BUT, one of my long time customers has a window cleaning business and

he has yellow t-shirts with black imprint full back and front left.

He went the screen print route first time but the black imprint faded with

the constant washing & bleaching the shirts needed.

We now do all his shirts with HTV....he plans ahead and orders his

own shirts from Jiffy.

Sue2

• Like 2

can guarantee the 2.88 is for all signs the same screen printed like stated above - no way they are doing that for individual sponsor signs.  have done several and most buy the full color and then save for future use to save money.  also do them for charity events with individual - would love to see the 2.88 do those all different for that money 

for some of the more generic that don't have regular logos or art I print the event info on strips for the bottom of the sign and do the top part in cut vinyl.

post-2742-0-25765500-1424104307_thumb.jp

post-2742-0-90941300-1424104333_thumb.jp

post-2742-0-59172300-1424104551_thumb.jp

• Like 2

can guarantee the 2.88 is for all signs the same screen printed like stated above - no way they are doing that for individual sponsor signs.  have done several and most buy the full color and then save for future use to save money.  also do them for charity events with individual - would love to see the 2.88 do those all different for that money 

Correct, the signs would be for the words "This hole sponsored by"

Then she wants me to cut vinyl for the sponsors name.  I think she's doing that to give me some business.  BTW, Dakota can I send her your way for the signs?  I'd rather you get the business than some big place.  Not sure you could do them for 2.88.  Wish I could  :)

Love your signs!

• Like 1

Correct, the signs would be for the words "This hole sponsored by"

Then she wants me to cut vinyl for the sponsors name.  I think she's doing that to give me some business.  BTW, Dakota can I send her your way for the signs?  I'd rather you get the business than some big place.  Not sure you could do them for 2.88.  Wish I could   :)

Love your signs!

not even close- I get $12 for one sided locally

I don't think anyone would do individually different signs for 2.88 like I said above but someone new with equipment they just bought with their tax refund might do it :)

• Like 1

If you are getting shirts at $1.75 which is pretty much cost on s-xl that only leaves you with $5 for the vinyl. That's pretty cheap. I work pretty cheap but not quite that low. About the lowest I have ever been willing to go on two color full back/crest front was $6 for the HTV and some mark-up on the shirts. They came in at a few cents over $8 but the design was really simple and fast to weed. I usually go for about $8 just for the vinyl in that kind of application. Screen print definitely has it's place just like everything else. I upsell my customers the improved look, feel and toughness of the HTV.  

She has pretty much agreed to the 12.00 a shirt so I'm not gonna push the issue.  She also wants the golf towels but I have not a clue what to charge as well as the Can koozies.  I got some samples coming in so I can do a few up and show her.

75 items of each will be a nice busy order for me  :)  Not sure why I wanted to do the signs so bad.  I'd like the experience I think.

not even close- I get $12 for one sided locally

I don't think anyone would do individually different signs for 2.88 like I said above but someone new with equipment they just bought with their tax refund might do it :)

OK, just checkin  thanks

if you ever do a lot of the same sign on coro make yourself a frame - makes it much easier and faster.  there are plans on the forum to make a pvc one - I cheated and used a newman roller frame

post-2742-0-24369100-1424105119_thumb.jp

• Like 1

if you ever do a lot of the same sign on coro make yourself a frame - makes it much easier and faster.  there are plans on the forum to make a pvc one - I cheated and used a newman roller frame

slick

Joe whats the name of this company at does signs for 2.80. You should get 4.50  5.00 bucks out of those golf those.The 100% Poly are awesome and hold up really.

Joe whats the name of this company at does signs for 2.80. You should get 4.50  5.00 bucks out of those golf those.The 100% Poly are awesome and hold up really.

Think the place was called cheap sign or something.  She came over last night and she was hunting online...

I like that price for a towel...

so $1.25 for a blank (less in large qty) $1 for stake - and you are happy to cut,weed and apply for $2.00 including vinyl?  how many per hour can you do and what is your hourly rate?

Those companies used to have business only prices. Now, everyone gets the same price. But, see what the final product looks like? I've seen them spray painted, with a stencil. Some places are even cheaper than 2.88.

• Like 2

http://cheapsigns.com  50 minimum order  $278 (including shipping and stakes) = $5.55 each.

I did golf signs once, and used the "sponsored by" pre-printed item in the shape of a golf putting green (from GRIMCO)

The event coordinators only wanted one per hole (18 total) and the blanks cost me $5.25 each (stakes not included) and I ended up charging $20 each.

• Like 1

Yea, no signs for me...LL

don't say that too soon - bet you hear back before it is over

• Like 1

I am in the same boat also. I have a real estate agent I do signs for that buys there open house yard signs at that supercheap sign site. 2 color 2 sides $3.78.  I priced it out at 4over.com and I could buy them out with shipping and make a whopping $0.15 per sign no thanks.

I do a bunch of rider signs for them with the websites for the individual houses they list and all the agents business cards. I would like to get more business from them but I just can’t compete with the internet especially in the real-estate sign market

It wouldn't be worth it to get your brand in front of the tournament participants?

They usually list the participant names on the score board. Maybe take a picture of the board and try to get some addresses so as to send mail advertsiements?

It wouldn't be worth it to get your brand in front of the tournament participants?

They usually list the participant names on the score board. Maybe take a picture of the board and try to get some addresses so as to send mail advertsiements?

No - but lots of people will promise to get you more business for cheap or free work - seldom works out in the end

• Like 6