Sign in to follow this  
racert25

Magnetic Sign Blanks

Where is the best place to get them? I only have two i need for a job but dont mind stocking them. 

Also what is a basic size for a van door? 

don't mess around and just get the magnum .30 - best product out there.  round your corners so they don't fly off - on size it really depends on that vehicle - we used to have standard sizes but there are too many variables with vehicles and trim packages now days

http://www.uscutter.com/DigiMag-Magnetic-Vinyl-for-Solvent-Printers-Matte-25mil-24-x-25-roll

I like to stock the 12 x 18", 12x24" & a roll.

That covers most all vehicles & uses.

Always check if the vehicle has bump strips or body bends/scoops

where they expect the magnet to stick.  You don't want the 

wind to be able get under the magnet and blow it off while moving.

Sue2

I use an olfa knife and safety ruller - then cut corners with a corner rounder - you can get cheap rounder in the craft section at walmart

also make sure the door will accept a magnet - lots more vehicles now made with aluminum doors or aluminum alloy to cut weight

• Like 1

also make sure the door will accept a magnet - lots more vehicles now made with aluminum doors or aluminum alloy to cut weight

Or have repairs made with bondo body repair filler...magnets don't stick to it.

Sue2

BTW......Magnets don't stick to stainless steal either...found that one out after the Hot Dog Cart magnets were made!!!!

• Like 1

and that is when I go to the removable vinyl for my printed stuff - not as long term but cheaper

Quote> " Magnets don't stick to stainless steal either...found that one out after the Hot Dog Cart magnets were made!!!!"

Sure they will... the Hot Dog Cart must have been made of something besides stainless Steel.

For rounding the corners, take a look at the We R Memory Keepers Crop-A-Dile Corner Chomper Tool, they work great on the magnets and have 2 radii 1/4" and 1/2".

Donn

Quote> " Magnets don't stick to stainless steal either...found that one out after the Hot Dog Cart magnets were made!!!!"

Sure they will... the Hot Dog Cart must have been made of something besides stainless Steel.

Don't stick to my stainless fridge or stainless sink either........

Sue2

Weird... I tested it to make sure on a stainless cart I have. Stuck fine. Not sure what to make of it.

edit... I just tested the same magnet on my stainless steel kitchen sink... did not stick.

I wonder if it has to do with the amount of steel in the mix?

Had to dig a little deeper... Found this:

Do magnets stick to stainless steel?

Magnets generally do stick to stainless steel, though exceptions to the rule can be found. Steel is composed mostly of iron, which is often naturally magnetic and can easily be magnetized. Magnetic stainless steel is usually ferritic, with a high iron content and molecular structure that supports a magnetic field.

Some stainless steel, however, is classed as austenitic. These alloys have a distinct molecular structure that interferes with the parallel lines of force needed for a strong magnetic field. Austenitic stainless steel is commonly used for industrial, chemical and food-handling applications. Ferritic stainless steel is common in home appliances such as refrigerators.

• Like 4

Don't work an Saturn's either. Plastic door skins do not like magnet and customer was not happy I wouldn't give him a refund but my magnets worked fine just not on his car. I sold them for on his truck but he changed his mind and tried using them on his car but always ask what they are going on because they will blame us no matter what.

• Like 2

I use this for providing a guide to round the corners --

quarter.jpg

That and a pair of scissors has gotten be by for years now.