And living at home a few more years would be terrible?

You would be in your home town/area with folks you already know and have the support of your parents those years.

And it sounds like you are already set up there.
Doesn't sound terrible.

Does your local college have the desired courses?

If you started a store front or "brick and mortar" shop, would it be in your home town or would you have to move?

Glad I don't have to make that decision, it is kind of a tough one.

But it sounds like which ever way you choose to go, you'll do fine. 

As for the question of a previous poster about how many people are using their degrees? More than you think.
A lot of heavy truck dealers or diesel engine dealers won't hire anyone who's not a journeyman mechanic without a minimum of an Associates degree in diesel technology. 
Engineering jobs, whether construction of civil require degrees to get those jobs.
Most companies rarely put anyone in a management position, unless they have many years with the company, in those positions without degrees.

There are jobs out there that with degrees that are $5 - 6k per month with in 5 years of being in the field, without a degree $18 - 20/hour and 10+ years to get to the $5k mark.

Would a person really use the degree? In most instances, not really. But to get the positions that make the money, most employers that pay $80k+ per year require it.

I do not have a degree. I worked up through the ranks to make what I make now. 
So I have seen where guys who had degrees were "fasttracked" into jobs that paid well.

If you are happy where you are, then it's a non-issue.

But if you wish to work somewhere that pays well with benefits and all, you have to look at their requirements.

You'd probably be surprised at how many require some kind of degree.

Just saying sometimes it's good to give yourself some options.

You make a very good point. I already have a lot of customers built up in my hometown, parents definitely support me, and the local college has exactly the program that I need. It's a associates in Business Administration w/concentration in Entrepreneurship. It starts off with 4 business courses in the first semester. It doesn't require me to take non-sense course like the university that I won't need. It would give me a great foundation to start up a brick-and-mortar.

I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Mathematics. I work as a Mechanical Design Engineer using my degree every day, do I do complicated math and physics everyday, no... Do I use anything I learned every day yes, without my degree I would not have this job.

My degree paid for itself 4 months after I was done, BUT I went to local college for 2 years (really cheap!) then transferred to a university to finish (an inexpensive one too). In my opinion you're wasting your money going to a large university to get a business degree.

What I saw was a business degree is what people get that have no idea what they want to do and just want to go to college for the "experience", or couldn't pass Calculus 2. My college experience was late nights studying for test, doing homework and projects. For me there were no parties, no wild alcohol induced orgies, nothing like you see in movies or TV.

I never lived in a dorm while going to school, dont think you have too, plenty of people rent houses with other students, that could give you the option to have your cutter and materials in a larger space.

My experience is not the norm even for Engineers. I worked hard while going to school, worked 40 hours a week while at the local college and 20-40 hours a week while at the university, for companies doing work in my field of study. I had more real work experience before graduating than my peers and had a full time job before graduation because of my work experience.

Can you make a good living selling crafts and decals, sure! I made decent side money myself doing it.

But I have a great 401k, medical benefits, vacation and most importantly, job security! Not saying I'm impervious, but I don't have to depend on peoples fun money to support my family.

Best of luck.

• Like 6

I have 2 associates degrees (one in welding technology and I won't mention the 1st one...and no, it wasn't basket weaving) and damn wish I had gone back and finished up my Bachelors. But I was at some jobs where I came across a lot of freshmen and sophomores. Asked them why were they going to the university for their 1st 2 years if they were majoring in Oceanography when they could go to the local college, closer to home and a LOT cheaper. Their dumbass answer was 

1) The University has better teachers

2) I don't care, my parents are paying for it

1)

A) I ask them if they like the 300 hundred students in their English class and

B) no time to see their teacher after class hours. 

C) Do they like being taught Oceanagraphy 101 by the teacher's aid instead of the teacher or some guest speaker (teacher was there 10% of the time)

D) Do they enjoy paying 4x more?

E) I try to explain to them the local college has more up-to-date computers, higher tech equipment and teacher's actually CARE about you and spend a LOT of time after class hours, more field trips to learn the REAL world stuff and you see your teacher EVERY DAY!!!

F) Some of the teachers USED to teach at the University, but missed the smaller classrooms and 1 on 1 with the students, so they went to teach at the local college. You'll be surprised how many of our teachers at our local college have their PhD.

After I give my spiel, their comeback is: well, it doesn't matter, my parents are paying for it. Hmmm....I wasn't sure whether to smack them with my left or right hand...or rather smack the parents for being so stupid.... Mind you, your field might be different and it WOULD be advantageous to go to the University for the 1st 2 years, that you have to look into...Talk to some Seniors in college or ones that have just gotten out.  For you to dwell on thinking about "missing out on the college experience" is bullshit.Makes me wonder if you're afraid that you'll be missing out on the Frat parties, the kegger parties, etc. 

DCMoney hit the nail on the head!!! If I wore hats (maybe now I'll start...self-promotion ;) ) I would DEFINITELY take my hat off to him!!! He's now one of my new heroes!!! 

Don't mean to sound mean (you know what I mean...oops, there I go again  ;D  ;D ),,, LOT of filthy rich people never had a Bachelors's degree...it's all up to your. If you're good at learning on your own (good self-motivator), get your Assoc at the local college, run your vinyl business from home, (save up money to go to University so you WON'T have a bill when you finish) or  read books to learn the rest after your Assoc degree....(my parents read and article somewhere a few months ago that took a poll of like 100 extremely rich rich people and over 80% of them said what helped them the most, is they read an average of 2 self-help/motivation books per month in their early years...

Just my .02

Good luck :) !!!

• Like 4

I would recommend going to community college route. It would not make sense to go to a University for the 'college experience'.  Once you go to one college they are all the same shoulder to shoulder sloppy drunk people doing stupid sh*t and girls you don't want to date. It was fun at 18 but gets stupid really fast.

You seem to be very similar to me. I am 21 years young and have always been very business minded. I went to the community college and got my associates while working ~30 hours living at home and saved money without having debt when I graduated. After graduating I got a corporate desk job with the degree. I know I am always getting a pay check and have after work and all weekend to be doing what ever with the cutter.

I think it said you had to decide by May 1? Lets hear what you decided on

-Austin

What I want to know is where you got the idea you can't go to college and work on your online sells at the same time.   

I worked my a$$ off and went to school and still had the college experience.

If you're going to run a business you need to learn to think outside the box.  Going through life you're going to have to figure out a way to overcome all obstacles.  

So you say you can't run your business out of your dorm.  That's understandable, but you're going to be in a college town and you know what college towns are full of? :huh:? :huh:? :huh:? :huh:???

STORAGE UNITS,   There's a shit load of them.  

Do you want to know what I ran my Performance Shop out of.  A 12'x30' storage unit with power.  You'll have to call around but it's not hard to find.  

Want to how much it cost me a month?  $125.   

Stay online, Stay in school.