To put it simply some people are made for school, some aren't. I've been in the workforce since I graduated at 17 and never considered going to college but that's just me and for some it would be sacrilege to not attend college. As for the above comment many of us run legitimate businesses and pay taxes on our income if for no other reason than to avoid going on a federally funded vacation. 

You may be one of the small exceptions. Within the whole community of the at home vinyl decal makers it is pretty legit to assume that the majority of those that claim that income are far outweighed by those that don't. I sure as hell don't and I highly doubt uncle sam would ever get a wiff of someone of most of out statures failure to do so.

Now when you get into larger contracted jobs when you are making good money off legit companies and that work has paper trails created by them then you may want to consider fessing up to the income.

Until then they can take my sales tax and be happy with that =D

If I were you I'd do like Moody Blue did.

Serious question, how were sales in `08 for people (businesses) when the market dropped?

• Like 1

If I were you I'd do like Moody Blue did.

Serious question, how were sales in `08 for people (businesses) when the market dropped?

Opened the store 2 weeks before the crash. What sales???

• Like 1

As of right now, April 6, 2015, I have had $16xx in sales go thru my website since January 1st. 

Last year alone, the full year i only had $865 go thru my website. 

So its good to see that my website traffic and income is increasing.

I have been scouring around the local big and small cities looking at places that are available to rent, from offices, store fronts, to little shops. 

I am not in a hurry to open up a place yet. But seeing all these places available, and MANY MANY of them have been available for several years, and many of them are new buildings that have been built and NEVER rented out!!

There are 3 places right on broadway that are less than 3 years old, and have NEVER been occupied. Mainly because they seem to want way too much for them, and then the local taxes are a killer.

There's an old little shop used car dealer lot building available, its been available for at least 2 years. Its small, one bay, an office, a little lobby, a bathroom, then a big closet. I have tried calling the number, and I always just get a voicemail, and i have left 2 messages over the past month, still no return call.

There's an old little shop used car dealer lot building available, its been available for at least 2 years. It's small, one bay, an office, a little lobby, a bathroom, then a big closet. I have tried calling the number, and I always just get a voicemail, and have left 2 messages over the past month, still no return call.

Remember that City Hall is a good resource for locating property owners.

Public records may provide details to enable you to get in touch with them.

I am a firm believer in the benefits provided by an 'odd little shop' for a sign maker.

In my opinion, it's better to stick out like a sore thumb, which is the opposite logic of a shopping center or strip mall.

You aren't a franchise cookie-cutter operation (like Sign-A-Rama), so it's basically counterproductive trying to act like one by taking the high-rent place.

For instance, I've had my eye on this little carriage house (situated behind a building and not even visible from the street)

For $395 I can move right in.

post-21408-0-57323700-1428443180_thumb.j

Something like a mall kiosk could be a possible option depending on where you are at.

This is probably the least attractive option for ANYONE who wants to open their own shop.

Mall kiosks are small. Ridiculously tiny with barely enough room to stand in.

They probably will REQUIRE you to have it manned during every hour that the mall is open.

You routinely will be charged a maintenance fee (to cover general upkeep in common areas, including security)

Retail Merchandising Units often operate with a MMG (Minimum Monthly Guarantee rental, and they also can have a clause for you to pay them a percentage of the overall Gross Revenue, so they're getting MORE than the minimum when you do well)

My brother started off running a kiosk(not exactly this business) and sort of built up his client base and tested out the mall scene. After a while of being successful and knowing it was a good place to be he moved into an actual store there in the mall.

Just giving options.

yeah the small shop i looked at, the guy finally called me back. He wants $2500 plus utilities and taxes.....i almost died laughing.

the place needs work, it cant be more than 1,000 sqfeet, and there's no way its worth that a month....now maybe the used car dealers that were there before could afford that (or maybe not and that's why they left).

But anyway, theres a similar shop on the other side of town and they want $900 a month plus utilities and taxes.

If my mall had any small outlets, i would consider trying one.

The one mall near me has one guy doing decals, license plate frames and a couple other normal doodads that go along with slapping vinyl on them and like 15 feet down from him is someone with a cutter and doing heat presses. Must be enough of a market to make some cash with a kiosk at a mall, but then again I am in SD so lots o' people around.

I wholesale to a guy with a kiosk and 2200 a month plus utilities scares the crap out of me.

He doesn't clear any more than me from there but he also has a free standing store across town from the mall. Last year my sales were almost the same as his kiosk and my mortgage is only 365 :) but he just reupped his lease so I guess he's happy with what if brings in.

He doesn't clear any more than me from there but he also has a free standing store across town from the mall. Last year my sales were almost the same as his kiosk and my mortgage is only 365 :) but he just reupped his lease so I guess he's happy with what if brings in.

The kiosk is also probably serving as advertising for his larger shop...

selling the larger ticket items from the regular store so he doesn't 

have to pay a percentage to the Mall for those.

Sue2

This mall doesn't have a percentage of sales contract. He started with the kiosk then opened the store but I know that he charges the same in the mall as the store because he had a problem with the mall workers charging more depending on who was working so he implemented standardized pricing to help curb the problem. Personally I think he's nuts because his kiosk is no bigger than the room I keep my cutter and heat press in.

Wow, everyone made a lot of good points that I have definitely been thinking about over the past few weeks. College decision day is this Friday, May 1st and I still haven't committed anywhere. 

I have been accepted to my top university schools, however, going to a university I will have to completely stop my business. There is no way that I could run it out of a dorm room. Another con of a university is I won't start taking my business courses until junior year. The first two years I'll (& parents) will be paying for me to take PE and world history which I really don't need. 

My parents defiantly think that I have potential to open my own store front, and are pushing community college. I could get an associates degree in business (which I would take ALL business courses for 2 years, no 'crap' classes), it would be $10,000 cheaper each year, and I could still run my business. The only thing is, I would really be missing out on the whole college experience, which I was looking forward to. 

Soo what would everyone suggest (since you're all older & wiser ;) )

And college students are missing out on the whole "REAL WORLD"

experience of running a business.....who's ahead?

Is  "the college experience" the only reason you are considering college?

Will you look back and wish you went to college.....

or will you look back and wish you went out on your own?

Yes, it is a major decision...no matter what, this is a turning point.

We cannot make that decision for you...do what your heart says

is right FOR YOU.

Sue2

Is there a reason you can't handle both?

In the field I'm in, automotive and diesel technology, I deal a lot with younger guys who "want" to be mechanics.
I usually tell them that they should get a degree, in case they get into the field and discover it isn't really what they want to do.

That way they have a plan B.

Add to the fact that there may come a time when you are older that you might decide that the business isn't what you thought it was going to be. A degree will be a huge step to a job that pays well.
Not having a degree, you will have to work through the ranks to make decent money.

To give you an idea, a diesel tech with a degree in diesel technology will make roughly $5/hour more on average, than a diesel tech with no degree and the same amount of experience. Not always, but enough that it makes a difference.

As Sue stated, in 20 years from now are you going to look back and regret your decision.

Hope you luck in which ever decision you make.

I think college is overrated. As long as you are still learning new things and trying to improve yourself, then I don't see why college is that important. How many people these days are using their college degrees anyway? I'd rather lean what I need to know as I need to know it.

It varies..my brother in law went to college for 4 years for business management..he got a job at American Sugar as a damn boiler operator, with no experience what so ever...they offered him $15 an hour, he turned it down, they came back and said since he has a 4 yr degree (not even in that field) and they offered him $22 an hour. He has been with them for 2 years and is now making $26 an hour...dam that pisses me off!!

• Like 1

Serious question how much more do you need to make per hr. and for how long to pay for the education? Never did it so I really don't have a clue about the cost.

There's a 1700sq foot store front in my nearby small town right on main street, excellent exposure, for $350 a month. Going to look at it more in detail tomorrow.

Bad thing is theres already a screen printing and decal shop up the corner and down the block..but ive heard bad things about them. Such as they are really picky at what stuff they do, as in no offensive stuff etc. I think it may be time for them to deal with some competition

I went up yesterday to look at a customers kiosk in one of the bigger malls and it was maybe 6x10. $2200 a month. I think he'd kill somebody for $350 a month although to be fair it does include his utilities.

dirtrocker - I could handle both, It would just be very hard to do it out of a dorm room. In the dorm room all you can basically fit is a bed & dresser. Not much room for my vinyl machine & materials.

I really don't want to miss out on the 'college experience,' but I guess that it the only thing that is pushing me towards a university. It would be a lot smarter for me to go to community college - not only would it save money (and allow me to make money), but it would put me ahead of everyone else my age. Community college however means I'll be stuck at home for another few years........

Also, going to a university would put me almost $30,000 in debt with loans. There would be no way that I could open a store front after 4 years with that amount of debt! 

Hmmmmmm  :mellow: