Can we start this thread and use it to post what everyone charges for various types of jobs? Maybe include an image and price preferably in a format that can be expanding upon such as (L+W)/2 or $0.11/sq inch and include an example so we know when to use each formula:

Retail Differences for 4"w x 6"h Single Color Vinyl Decal

4"w x 6"h     Single Color Vinyl Decal

(L+W)/2 = (6+4)/2 = 10/2 = $5/decal

4"w x 6"h     $0.11/sq inch     Single Color Vinyl Decal

(4 x 6) x 0.11 = 24 x 0.11 = $2.64/decal

4"w x 6"h    $1/linear inch of 24" vinyl     Single Color Vinyl Decal

6" h = $6 for 5 Decals ( 5 across with weed border)

$1.20/decal

Single Color Vinyl

• "I charge $1 an inch based on the longest measurement. 4x6 is $6. If it's a really long skinny design I adjust it down accordingly for example I do windshield banners for $20-$25 all the time and they usually cap at 4" x 60 max." - jaybird

Notes:

• "There are as many pricing calculators as there are people doing this - it all changes depending on the job - you can calculate all the above variables in but when that weeding gets more complicated the price goes up as labor cost goes up...500 circles are much different than cutting 500 spider webs for example" -dakotagrafx
  • Like 1

On single color I charge $1 an inch based on the longest measurement. 4x6 is $6. If it's a really long skinny design I adjust it down accordingly for example I do windshield banners for $20-$25 all the time and they usually cap at 4" x 60 max. I just did 5 yesterday 4x56 for $20 each for a 4x4 club and they have bought over a dozen from me in the last month.

• Like 1

there are as many pricing calculators as there are people doing this - it all changes depending on the job - you can calculate all the above variables in but when that weeding gets more complicated the price goes up as labor cost goes up.  learned my lesson a couple years ago to look at each job individually after a fairly simple print cut job took the good part of 2 days instead of 2 hrs because of a very complicated contour aspect to it. the printing was quick - the contour cutting took forever on that one so I have to charge more for that as the machine is working much longer and not producing other work during that time it is cutting.  its a good return customer so I worked it out so it is fair to both of us.  500 circles are much different than cutting 500 spider webs for example

• Like 2

Good stuff, I am just trying to group the "what should I charge" topics under a single heading to help out some people. Myself included.

What do you propose for the example in the first post for an order of 5   4w" x 6"h single color decals? Simple weeding, let's say a hand print design, solid fill.

Market research is the key. You have to know what the competition charges and what the local economy will support. What one person can get for a decal in New York City, as an example, can be drastically different than the person in a rural area in the Midwest can charge. In addition, each person has different overhead charges that will affect their pricing. There are too many factors to establish a standard set of prices. Can they be guidelines? Sure, but I would not rely on them for setting up my business.

• Like 2

I normally have a $5 minimum but i'd probably do that for $20 instead of  $5 each because they are super easy . Your going to find out fast there is no great pricing structure in this business and a lot of it is experience and just going with your gut.

I go with my gut and what most people expect to pay. I usually do similar to what you do for coming up with a true cost but frequently raise my numbers up or down depending on a myriad of circumstances sometimes just because I take a liking to someones attitude or the opposite.  

• Like 1

what would be a Valid estimate for metallics?
Some one asked for 2 decals estimated size 8"x7' in Gunmetal

I havent measured exact size. my dad has same veh just in storage and dont have time early part of the week.

Fellers offers by the yard. came out around $54

Signwarehouse has it in Avery UC900 for same price at 10yards.

Is a simple cut.