Sign in to follow this  
lablover

A few Epson question

My Epson 7610 is used for sublimation.  I also just picked up a 1430 for Dye Printing.

Question. do you folks leave the printers on all the time or turn them off every night?  I heard turning them off makes them run a clean cycle when you turn them on.

Gonna get the Dye or pigment for the 1430 as well from Cobra ink.  I will say this 1430 prints out beautiful!  But no way  want to pay epson ink prices...LOL

I should of got them together, I would of made the 1430 my sublimation printer....Oh well.  I'm sure that would be a mess to pull off

They do some sort of cycling when powered back on but I use mine enough I just leave it on.

why dye ink- fades quickly unlike pigment ink

Thats kind f what I wanted to know.  If the pigment inks are a better choice.  It's mostly going to be used for Photo prints and maybe some goofing off with decals...I know they won't last but I want to play with the idea like Sue2 did.

So, pigment is a better choice?

Thats kind f what I wanted to know.  If the pigment inks are a better choice.  It's mostly going to be used for Photo prints and maybe some goofing off with decals...I know they won't last but I want to play with the idea like Sue2 did.

So, pigment is a better choice?

My 3 Epsons stay on 24/7.  They don't draw much current when just sitting there doing nothing, and I don't have to wait for it to go through all of the start up noises and delays when I print something.

Different ink formulations give different results and each have their own place in the market.   Dye inks are best for true photo printing, but are the worst option for just about everything else.

Most Epson printers are pigment based, except for their photo printers (The Stylus Photo 1400 series, etc) in which case they use dye inks for the most realistic colors possible from desktop inkjet printers.  Dye inks are more transparent and the colors tend to mix better, while pigment inks tend to be more opaque.  Pigment inks, however, are more resistant to UV fading and hold up better to getting wet.  If you drip a drop of water onto a dye-ink printed photo, the colors will smear and mix even if you don't touch the drop.  Pigment printed photos don't have that issue, or at least not to the same extreme.

I print a LOT of photos with my pigment ink printers - I took my WFP-4020 to the local D.A.R.E. haunted house and printed out pictures we took with a hidden camera and sold them to people who went through.  I bought a bunch of HP 4x6" photo paper off of the big auction site and they come out looking almost as good as photo prints you would get from a place like Wal-Mart, and I'd be willing to bet that the average consumer can't tell a difference.

Unless you have a specific need to print the best possible quality photos with the most realistic colors, I would stay away from using dye-based inks.

Oh, and pigment inks are a lot easier to clean off of your hands than dye-based inks...

• Like 4

My 3 Epsons stay on 24/7.  They don't draw much current when just sitting there doing nothing, and I don't have to wait for it to go through all of the start up noises and delays when I print something.

Different ink formulations give different results and each have their own place in the market.   Dye inks are best for true photo printing, but are the worst option for just about everything else.

Most Epson printers are pigment based, except for their photo printers (The Stylus Photo 1400 series, etc) in which case they use dye inks for the most realistic colors possible from desktop inkjet printers.  Dye inks are more transparent and the colors tend to mix better, while pigment inks tend to be more opaque.  Pigment inks, however, are more resistant to UV fading and hold up better to getting wet.  If you drip a drop of water onto a dye-ink printed photo, the colors will smear and mix even if you don't touch the drop.  Pigment printed photos don't have that issue, or at least not to the same extreme.

I print a LOT of photos with my pigment ink printers - I took my WFP-4020 to the local D.A.R.E. haunted house and printed out pictures we took with a hidden camera and sold them to people who went through.  I bought a bunch of HP 4x6" photo paper off of the big auction site and they come out looking almost as good as photo prints you would get from a place like Wal-Mart, and I'd be willing to bet that the average consumer can't tell a difference.

Unless you have a specific need to print the best possible quality photos with the most realistic colors, I would stay away from using dye-based inks.

Oh, and pigment inks are a lot easier to clean off of your hands than dye-based inks...

Well Heck

This made it easy to decide what to do overall..........Love it

Thanks for the info OW.

Joe

I want pigment inks, but like the idea of sublimating onto other items as well... I don't have a setup yet so my question is the quality difference between Dye Sub and Pigment. Does anyone have a side by side of the same logo on the same garment using each type?

You can only dye sub onto polyester fabric, preferably 100% poly so it's apples and oranges. Pigment is the ticket for normal cotton and blended shirts, transfers like Jet Pro Sift Stretch (light color garments) and 3G (dark shirts). You can do regular printing with pigments too so day to day whatever works fine and is real inexpensive from a bulk supplier like Cobra. Dye sub ink cost quite a bit more and is weird on regular paper so like black isn't really black etc.. pretty much a dedicated dye-sub printer once you go that direction. 

• Like 1

Or you can go hog wild like I did and end up with multiple printers and have both dye sublimation and pigment inks...

• Like 2

Same here. 1 for sub, 1 for pigment and a color laser because I do short run business cards in house. Had 4 printers but I finally decided to sell my ricoh last month.

Or you can go hog wild like I did and end up with multiple printers and have both dye sublimation and pigment inks...

Thats the plan.

My Epson was giving me fits....or so I thought.  I realized I was using plain paper and normal printing....Could not figure why my Images had this odd banding...Yea, Brain Cramp!

Amazing how well they print now...LOL

Been an Epson man since the C88 came out I run a WF 7010 for Subimation, a 7510 for pigment and looking into a stylus for canvas.

Hey Madhatt do you know if the 1430 will do canvas?

Don't know why but I went with 2 workforce 30. Wish I had went ahead and went with 7510 on the pigment ink. Bigger format for shirts. 

• Like 1