iangdesigin

New guy from AZ...need a little help with blade depth and roller issues

Hey all,

I designed some decals for a client and he went out and bought a US Cutter MH 871-MK2 to be able to run the decals himself. He is not very tech saavy so I told him I would help him set up the cutter and then teach him how to use it. I set it up and was cutting within a few minutes. Very easy.

My first issue the rollers leave imprints right in the middle of the design. Is there an easy way to adjust the springs so this won't happen?

Next issue is after the cut is made I try to seperate the design from the excess vinyl and I end up pulling the design up with the excess vinyl. Do I need to set the blade down a little deeper so it makes a more complete cut?

Last issue, the cutter seems to drag a straight line cut across the overall design to cut in another area. So instead of one nice design it break it up into 3 or 4 parts. Is there a way around this?

Thanks for any help in advance! This cutter is really nice and I am looking forward to using it more and getting some good designs out of it. 

imprints in vinyl will go away don't mess with the roller pressure or you will mess up the tracking and cuts

not cutting all the way till end - add to overcut in your software so it cuts just past the end of the design

stray cuts can be caused by either a copy of scalp that has not been activated (will do that) or static can also cause that = the mh is notorious for that as the stand is insulated from the grounded cutter so static builds in the roll, stand and  discharges thru the carriage.  make sure the stand is grounded to the cutter with the included wire

imprints in vinyl will go away don't mess with the roller pressure or you will mess up the tracking and cuts

not cutting all the way till end - add to overcut in your software so it cuts just past the end of the design

stray cuts can be caused by either a copy of scalp that has not been activated (will do that) or static can also cause that = the mh is notorious for that as the stand is insulated from the grounded cutter so static builds in the roll, stand and discharges thru the carriage. make sure the stand is grounded to the cutter with the included wire

Thanks for the reply! When will the imprints go away? I have done 4-5 test cuts and they are all still there on the decals. I will add overcut in the software. I don't know if I would call these "stray cuts". It's more like the blade is tracking over to a certain area to start the cut. I'll snap a pic and upload it when I get home tonight.

On blade depth for cutting...is there a good thread you may be able to point me to learn how to set this?

they will go away after the vinyl is installed.  the higher priced cutters use a less aggressive roller system that leaves less marks but they are still there somewhat - too many people have messed with the pressure then complain of poor cuts as the vinyl slides in the rollers while being cut

on the blade not lifting call usc support - they need to address more of these issues themselves.  the user forum tries to help everyone at all hours with most things but I think usc needs to address more of these type of issues directly

• Like 1

How to set blade depth correctly

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

the higher priced cutters use a less aggressive roller system that leaves less marks but they are still there somewhat -

Not Summa! They have the most aggressive rollers you can even imagine. I just have the 30" machine so I don't know what they do on the real big ones, perhaps they have a middle roller or two and dial the pressure down or they are wider and made to float but the regular edge rollers are only about 1/4" wide and press so hard that sometimes easyweed comes up from the carrier directly under the wheel. You basically can't consider cutting outside the rollers unless you are working with something super tough like blast resist. I was worried when I first got it but it works fantastic and probably has a lot to do with why they are known for awesome tracking. 

To the OP: do you HAVE to use the inside roller(s)? I don't know how wide you are cutting but you might try sliding the extra out of the way and just use two and see what happens. If the vinyl is over 24 or 30 inches then perhaps there is no other options. I'm not familiar with the MH. I had a P-Cut and usually only used all the rollers when doing something really big which was rare. 

Thanks for the tips guys and looking at the machine I should be able to move the inside roller closer to the edge of the machine and get it out of the way of the designs being cut. I'll mess with the blade depth tonight.

Can you see the "stray" cut lines in this image? These are not in my file.

15886798983_5730db7d9d.jpg

I was having same problem just had to activate software.

Also haveing same problem with rollers makeing marks on vinyl with a extra problem One near the blade is some how making vinyl bunch up and not cut all the way

Make sure the pinch roller is over the grit roller correctly,,  Make sure pinch rollers are equal distance on edge of vinyl..  Those pinch roller marks won't hurt anything,  They go away when you apply the decal.

• Like 1