Gravity

Compressor Blast cabinet

I have read many threads on here in regard to etching.

I am wanting to get into etching with a cabinet, but am confused on the pressure for the cabinet.

If I am wanting to use aluminum oxide with the HF cabinet what capacity compressor would I need?

Could I use a smaller compressor and just have to let it fill up? Or what is the recommend capacity and CFM? 

I seen a post about a compressor with 20CFM, if I am correct that compressor will be roughly 800-1k price. 

I don't want to spend 1k on a setup if I don't know if I am going to like it. 

I am sorry if these questions have been asked before.

I use this compressor from HF with my HF blast cabinet and 120grit AO.

http://www.harborfreight.com/29-gal-2-hp-150-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61489.html

Is it the best, no. It does work though. I dumped the stock gun a siphon tube and run this one below from northern tool with the smallest nozzle size and have little issues blasting for glass etching. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_23137_23137

On a full tank at about 145psi I get about a minute of constant blasting at 80psi before it kicks back on. (most of my glass blasting is done in about 20-30 seconds though).

I have the table top cabinet from HF and an old tank compressor. I am sure you can do like you are thinking and build a tank of air and then blast. I run my HF gun on pretty low pressure for glass work, Like 40-60psi (I think, I haven't checked it lately) and haven't had any issues. I did buy a pressure adjustment valve and water/moisture separator that I mounted on the back of the cabinet which probably helps out too. 

I have a 8 or 10 gallon compressor, don't remember for sure, it works, but does run a bit more than I'd like. The pressure that the manual says to use for a cabinet/gun is usually much higher than actually necessary. The lower the pressure you can use and still get the job done the longer your air supply will last.

I also went with a cabinet that is a solid unit rather than parts that are put together. This way the only location for possible leaks is the exhaust ports and around the glass. Haven't used it much yet, but so far I really like it. It's a Cyclone E500, only thing I didn't like about it was the light source. So instead of using a bulb I bought some LED strips and put them all around the edge inside. Has the advantage of lighting the box with out blinding yourself and with the LEDs being all around there is little to no shadows.

• Like 2

I have a CH 100 gallon tank and 3.5HP motor.  I sand blast at around 90-100 PSI and sometimes down to 60 psi on delicate glass.  I can run about 2 min before that thing fires up and runs for a bit then shuts off.

I'm also using a Harbor freight cabinet and 100 grit Alum Oxide.

FYI, sand blasting is a high CFM demand tool....It will give your compressor a real workout if you have lots to do.  Can you use a small compressor....Yup, with small amounts of work.  If you have to do a dozen glasses etc than that little compressor is gonna get smoking hot and run non stop!

• Like 1