racert25

Etching media

I was wondering what media is best for a blast cabinet when etching glass. Currently we use glass beads for our machine shop parts. I was wondering if maybe sand is better for etching?

I use Aluminum Oxide.  I may step up to Silicon Carbide when I get my new cabinet but its about twice as expensive.

and once again I skimmed and didn't read well enough.  I use ao and black beauty depending on which blaster i am using and desired effect

• Like 1

AO here as well, I like the look of 120 grit.

Glass beads will etch glass, but think about it, using glass to etch glass, not going to work the best. You want something harder than the item you are trying to etch. My understanding of glass beads, is it's more of a stripping/polishing blast media.

I have some AO but it's 70 grit and a little too coarse for my liking (also leaves a little black tint behind sometimes. I found a local supplier that crushes down porcelain and calls it white lightning. I use the 100 grit and it works fantastic for glass. 

racert25 - be careful with regular sand. It's dirt cheap (pardon the pun) but will create silica dust which is deadly very similar to asbestos. Still a cost effective option but you should use a respirator and I wouldn't recommend it in your house or even garage and also remember that if you do it even out of doors you may get the silica dust on your cloths and bring it home to your wife and kids. There are silica free options out there if you look, this is why I went to the porcelain based product. Garnet sand is a good alternative too as are the more expensive AO and other high end abrasives. 

• Like 1