DCMoney

Not Completing Cuts/Bad Test Cuts

I recently have been getting horrible cuts with my titan 2, its not finishing a complete cut and test cuts look like a heart beat monitor.

I purchased a clean cut 60 degree blade as I do a ton of tiny littering and prefer the 60 degree blade to 45 for this kind of work. 

In SCALP I set the offset to .5mm with 1mm over cut and the cuts look better.

I do my test cuts by using a triangle from the library of SCALP and putting a weeding box around it.  In the bottom right corner of the triangles there's a slight slope.

I tried offsets from .3-.6 with over cut on and off. .5 looks the best but it still has a slope.

Purchased a new blade holder and tried it, does the same thing, has been oiled with 3-1 oil to keep it spinning smoothly.

Tried 5 different 60 degree blades all do the same including the clean cut blade.

Yes the holder is tight in the machine, blade just barley makes a mark onto the backing paper.

Any ideas?

f1a151c2-c480-4ea4-bb36-eb244af43f29_zps

from the corners of the test cut square the offset may be low like one off said - but offset has nothing to do with finishing cuts if the rest of the machine is properly adjusted..  you can add a bit more in the overcut to get it to finish the cut.  is your scalp updated to the most current version - lots of issues with scalp on things like this -   how does the test cut from the cutter directly look - not the one you made in scalp?

from the corners of the test cut square the offset may be low like one off said - but offset has nothing to do with finishing cuts if the rest of the machine is properly adjusted..  you can add a bit more in the overcut to get it to finish the cut.  is your scalp updated to the most current version - lots of issues with scalp on things like this -   how does the test cut from the cutter directly look - not the one you made in scalp?

Yeah my bad not the offset  but the overcut where the blade cuts past the starting point.

Bottom right is a test cut done on the machine, you can see how the corners are not square and it jogs a little on the bottom. Last I checked it SCALP3 was running the most current version.

Ran some more test cuts last night and its completing the cuts fine with 1mm over cut, I dont like the way its sloping the cut in the bottom corner of the triangle.

Thanks for the help.

That cut looks like you need to adjust the offset a bit more

higher than .6mm? When you change the offset in the software does it change the offset on the machine when you do a test cut?

I'm really confused after 9 months of cutting perfectly why its now doing this.

I change mine on the machine before I had the graphtec and left the software alone - if changed on the software the one cut directly from the machine will never be right cause it is getting that info from the machine.  due to a lot of big bills (2 car engines in 30 days on wife and daughters cars)  last year this time I sold my titan so I only have the graphtec now.  difference with the graphtec is the offset is always 0 unlike other cutters so I am working from memory here.

I don't get caught up in numbers - people want to know the right offset or force numbers for different things and there are just too many variables like which blade, if the blade is worn at all, maybe slight manufacturing or sharpening difference in the blade affecting the offset, heck even differences in machines.  we get a lot of what force for a persons particular machine and that can be different between machines of the same model (mh's are notorious for this one as they used different boards and calibrations).  even older vinyl takes a different force than new fresh vinyl to a small extent.  the purpose of this ramble is each setting is what it is for your particular machine and understanding what that setting is changing and how to correctly set up you machine without dwelling on what other peoples numbers are is more important. what works for your machine is what is important. (this has been a public service announcement for those searching in the future)

• Like 2

Contacted support because I still couldn't get it cutting as accurate as before. Typed up a long detailed list of what I have tried and done and replaced. Response, make sure cutter settings are at .3mm offset and over cut is a 1mm...

Responded back with picture of above test cuts, plus asking support person to please reread what I originally sent, luckily I saved a copy of what I sent to them in case something like this happened and I got the typical IT Crowd answer...

Got a response a few hours later to try test cuts with the pen attachment. Seems like a brilliant way to check if its your blade holder or your machine.

What do you know, this is what I got...

20150213_180230_zps464a8250.jpg

Sent support this picture, figure I wont hear anything till Monday.

not sure what everyone else see but i see too high of offset - hooked corners - too low would be rounded corners

• Like 1

not sure what everyone else see but i see too high of offset - hooked corners - too low would be rounded corners

Same thing I saw.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the machines test cut offset?

Anyone know if there's a master rest for the machine?

20150215_091308_zpsb10e6bc0.jpg

Just did test cuts from .5-.58 in .01 increments. .57mm gives best results, sharp corners clean and a cut.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the machines test cut offset?

Anyone know if there's a master rest for the machine?

offset can change depending on how the blade was sharpened - heck even as a blade wears it can change slightly so like I said above it is far more important to know how to find the proper offset by testing than relying on number from someone else.

glad you got it

• Like 1

So....

Still unhappy with some of my cuts I finally called CS instead of going through emails. See the R on the top vs the R on the bottom and the jog in the middle. Not to mention the horrible radius's.

20150218_172808_zpsebc99345.jpg

CS had me remove the right side cover to check the tension on the belt, asked me to tighten up on the belt and....

20150219_172715_zpse76c9891.jpg

Broken tensioner bolt, feels good to not be crazy (for today at least).

• Like 2

USCutter is 100% taking care of me though, just received a return label and are going to send me out a new machine once that return label is scanned in by Fedex.

• Like 1