Sign in to follow this  
lablover

Parchment Paper

Been using parchment paper from the local grocery store.  After a few presses it gets real brittle and just falls apart.

Any other choices to use for base and cover sheets?  I have one teflon sheet but only use that for my HTV

Thanks Gang

Joe

One of the members posted they use uncoated butcher paper from fred meyers (I think). I am in the same boat and will be looking for a mass produced cheap option myself. I tried end rolls from the local newspaper but the paper is unbleached and the slight brown color of the paper transferred over into the shirt I was practicing on so that's out. 

You should be throwing the protection paper away after every press . . . If any ink gets on it, it will transfer to the next price. That is why you use the cheap disposable paper

• Like 3

You should be throwing the protection paper away after every press . . . If any ink gets on it, it will transfer to the next price. That is why you use the cheap disposable paper

Yeah, what Scott said.  You can buy rolls of butcher paper in many stores, it's cheap and works great.  You can also use the liner off of vinyl or lamination rolls.  I bought a few rolls of laminate backing off of Scott a couple of years ago and it worked great.

Yeah, what Scott said.  You can buy rolls of butcher paper in many stores, it's cheap and works great.  You can also use the liner off of vinyl or lamination rolls.  I bought a few rolls of laminate backing off of Scott a couple of years ago and it worked great.

worked - - that means you really went thru all that  - lol

If there is a Sam's buy you I get a 1,000 foot roll for $20.00 great stuff...

• Like 2

I see a lot of butcher paper but it all seems to have some sort of coating. Is that OK? And if I was to try out some of my vinyl carrier left overs would you recommend the release side toward the garment? I looked at using some I have on a roll but got worried about the waxy coating causing a problem. 

never had a problem with the waxy coating coming off goose = at least here.  but just because it is convenient I usually use the butcher paper on one of the rollers made  for it - just too much handier than cutting off the big rolls of left over lam liner I use sometimes

• Like 1

I've used the release liner slick side out and paper side out with equal results but I found that I inherited 2- 48" rolls of butcher paper with the new building and trying to use them up now. BTW 48" is a PITA to work with.

• Like 1

I throw away the top sheet , I guess I should be tossing both.  Thanks for the tip,

I think I'm going to hunt down a roll of butcher paper and give it a go.

Thank you guys for the tips. I've said it before but I'll say it again, I don't know what I would do without the helpful folks on the forum. You people rock!

• Like 4

Thank you guys for the tips. I've said it before but I'll say it again, I don't know what I would do without the helpful folks on the forum. You people rock!

I second that!!!

another place to look is at the hardware store in the paint section. 

You can get rolls of paint masking paper for super cheap.

another place to look is at the hardware store in the paint section. 

You can get rolls of paint masking paper for super cheap.

Checked costco today...NATA!

Next step, hardware store.  I assume you mean that thick brown drop paper they have

Yeah that's what it is. I get it from Lowe's or Home Depot once in a while.

Yeah that's what it is. I get it from Lowe's or Home Depot once in a while.

Well heck, I got miles of that in the garage from Painting....woooohooooo

• Like 1

Went to Costco today and they had 18"x 1100' Butchers paper for about $35 so I bought a roll. 

I got one of these dispensers for mine too - might be dating myself but remember when all the butcher shops, wrapping stations at 5 and dime had these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulman-18-Butcher-Paper-Dispenser-Cutter-or-Kraft-Wrapping-Paper-A500-18-/400732721418?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4d88110a

• Like 2

I got one of these dispensers for mine too - might be dating myself but remember when all the butcher shops, wrapping stations at 5 and dime had these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulman-18-Butcher-Paper-Dispenser-Cutter-or-Kraft-Wrapping-Paper-A500-18-/400732721418?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4d88110a

I wonder if that would work for app tape.......

Sue2

• Like 1

think it would be too light to stay in place sue when you tried to pull the app tape off of it - and would have to have adapter for different core sizes.

OK the butcher paper from Costco has a coating on one side which from the way everyone talked sounded like wasn't a big deal. Um yeah, nasty stuff even stuck to my teflon lower platen cover when I placed it face down. So I have 1,996 ft of 18" butcher paper that is not going to work very good. I think I'll use two sheets top and bottom facing each other so the plain paper side is out in both directions. In one press I tried it face up but was worried it would be a problem and so I covered most of it with a piece of parchment paper and was glad I did because the 1" uncovered stuck to the platen and left some gunk on it. Luckily I still have most of a tube of Hot Melt cleaner that took it right off no problem. Big bummer man. I can't believe it's this hard to find a cheap roll of plain white paper 18" wide. 

Wow, that sucks!

I ended up using the brown paper painters use to put on floors...Works pretty good.  For some crazy reason I still like the parchment because I can see thru it a bit.

OK the butcher paper from Costco has a coating on one side which from the way everyone talked sounded like wasn't a big deal. Um yeah, nasty stuff even stuck to my teflon lower platen cover when I placed it face down. So I have 1,996 ft of 18" butcher paper that is not going to work very good. I think I'll use two sheets top and bottom facing each other so the plain paper side is out in both directions. In one press I tried it face up but was worried it would be a problem and so I covered most of it with a piece of parchment paper and was glad I did because the 1" uncovered stuck to the platen and left some gunk on it. Luckily I still have most of a tube of Hot Melt cleaner that took it right off no problem. Big bummer man. I can't believe it's this hard to find a cheap roll of plain white paper 18" wide. 

Find a local bakery and trade it for goodies!

But, Costco is great about returns....just tell them it stuck to your stuff.

(Not a lie)

Sue2

• Like 1

Wow, that sucks!

I ended up using the brown paper painters use to put on floors...Works pretty good.  For some crazy reason I still like the parchment because I can see thru it a bit.

I tried some end rolls from the local newspaper but they are not bleached and was getting some color transfer from the brown paper. I can use these up by doubling then up. I am thinking my press may actually be running hot because I scorched a cotton shirt at a temp that shouldn't have the other day. I may try the newspaper at a little lower temp and see if it does any better. It's a heck of a lot cheaper. 

All's well that ends well. I was able to return the paper to Costco and found a restaurant supply wholesaler who sold me a 1000 ft roll of uncoated white Kraft/butcher paper for $25 which is about $10 cheaper than Costco anyway! Yea! They also had the cool little dispenser stands that Dakota mentioned and I grabbed one of those as well. WHAT A RELIEF to finally have that seemingly simple item taken care of. 

• Like 2