MoZo

Thoughts on HP Designjet 130nr

Been looking at the forum about all day trying to take all the info in that I find. I came across this printer HP Designjet 130nr. for $400 after reading all day I'm still little unsure.

I did find out that using this type of printer the outside life span is only 6-12 months but did also see that a test with UV laminate and lasted longer.

What I'm looking to do is print Signs, Banners, Posters and decals and if possible do sublimation and tshirts down the road but still need heat press .

There is a guy that lives in the same town I do that makes posters and then subs out the printing to a large company I would like to get that work.. will post pic of a sample of his work.

Also my Wife seen a video of a photo being printed then applied to a block of wood some things were used to do it but I didn't watch it yet but she wants to start doing that been trying to get her interested in the business but have not been able to yet so this might be my chance LOL I think it was done with an Iaser printer.

I cant justify buying an 8k printer so trying to find something in budget 

Here is some info on the printer

Printer type Professional
Color technology Inkjet
Color technology - notes Thermal Inkjet technology
Max color resolution 2400 x 1200 dpi
Max B/W resolution 2400 x 1200 dpi
Droplet size 4 pl
Photo print speed Normal: 11.9 min - Best : 17.3 min
Inks 6 (Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Light Cyan, Light Magenta)
Ink type Dye-based

Thanks for any input

post-83172-0-77080900-1422840779_thumb.j

post-83172-0-78181100-1422840785_thumb.j

That is basically an indoor printer.  You can print banners for outdoor use, but they will not last very long in direct sunlight, even laminated. 

Same thing for any decals you print - they will not last very long, even with a UV laminate.   Dye-based inks just don't hold up well to extended UV exposure and are the worst possible choice for outdoor decals.

The Pinterest craft project that is popular involving a printed picture, a block of wood and Modge-Podge requires a laser printed picture, so this printer won't be good for that either.

Sublimation requires specialty inks that don't work in printers that use thermal inkjet tech - the only brand of desktop printers that are suitable are the Ricoh and the Epson models that don't use thermal technology to print, so you won't be able to use this printer for sublimation work, either.

Hate to be Mr. Downer, but the low-budget, entry level printers that do outdoor banners and decals start at a minimum of $8000 and go up.  If there was a cheaper option, I'd have one.

Until you're guaranteed enough business to justify making that kind of investment, consider subbing your work out to members of these forums and putting any profits in the bank towards the purchase of your own printer.   Also, read the printer forums and look for postings like "Oops, just had a head strike, gotta come up with $800 for a repair", or the recent "I went on vacation and the power went out and so my printer stopped cleaning itself" messages before you commit.   Personally I'd rather settle for a little less profit and not have to deal with those issues.

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply OWJones from reading the forums I figured that anything printed with this printer wouldn't hold up out side very long so pretty much this printer would be for indoor banners signs and so on doing Decals is out cause I won't put something out there that won't last.

I did word my post little wrong I knew it wouldn't do sublimation and shirts that's just something I look forward to getting in to soon.

We are looking at a laserjet printer now but that won't print the posters I was talking about and I am not sure if this HP will have good quality to print them.