Sign in to follow this  
racert25

Cutting small letters recommended settings

Im trying to cut very small letters for glass etching. my first time doing this. What are some recommended settings for small cuts? I have the ce6000-60

1/4" is the letters i think the script font i choose is to thin so its not working. Arial cut fine but when i go to pull say an e out the dot comes with it. I think i just need to be patient peeling and find a good script font for this mug 

Yes, small text needs patience weeding.. I use a needle to pick stuff, and the eraser end of a pencil to hold down sometimes...so it doesn't get damaged.

• Like 1

Small, thin, script-type fonts are never easy to weed, even when your cutter is dialed in perfectly.

If you're cutting stencils for etching, then trying taping and installing the whole thing and then pick out the letters after the stencil is already on your substrate.

That's the easiest way I've found for doing fancy wine/champagne bottles..

• Like 3

What I started to do for anything tiny, especially those "e"s,  I pull an extra what ever is difficult out and just cut what needs to be on the side of my design.

This allows me quickly weed and then go back and transplant those tiny difficult letters and details that come off.

I'm also using a 60 degree cutter.

In the Guns and Coffee example I know the mouth, nose and trigger guards are the hard weeding parts of this design. Nose is .07"x.02".  I put the extra pieces in one of the corners of the box, (upper left in this example) then I transplant back where they belong after I weed.

gunsncoffee_zps4ce6d404.jpg

Doing this cut my weeding time down more than half.

Left the nose out of this one but you get the idea.

1924387_10205898085474468_58896518316753

• Like 4

1/8" letters (practice, not selling, don't worry) - Preset 1 from factory, factory blade

IMG_0979_zps038987c6.jpg

Levy4u, I hope that machine you are cutting with is not a Graphtec, or similar, if so you need to adjust something, because the B,R,O don't look so well...

What do you mean? It looks fine to me. You are talking about the letters B, R and O correct? The plastic cup has ribs going through it and it was just for fun so I had illustrator live trace a photo of an online graphic, it's not a true type font or proper vector.