Cal

Tool box, part II

Vinyl related - sort of!

Last summer I related my work to salvage some old rusty tool boxes that were headed to the scrap yard.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/45465-first-attempt-at-layering-tool-box-save/?hl=%2Btool+%2Bbox+%2Bsave

I have been wanting a box brake for quite awhile now, so after a big Christmas with my glassware business I used my profits to purchase a Northern Tool 48" box & pan brake. My first experiment was to make a tray for one of the tool boxes I saved last summer. I think it came out real nice and I have plans to do trays for the rest of the tool boxes I saved. The tray is about 22 ga. metal, former refrigerator or freezer door.

Cal

post-47968-0-69804900-1422281181_thumb.j

• Like 2

Love the idea of repurposing things to give them new life. Tray looks great.

• Like 1

love recycling - now you have to get the harbor freight powder coating system for it for a more durable finish!

• Like 2

I hear you Scott, but that's a slippery slope!  The pc system isn't any good without an oven.  The oven begets more wiring/gas to operate it, the wiring/gas begets more work I would "have" to do to pay for it all...  unless, maybe I used the kitchen oven?  Maybe when the wife is out for the day I could sneak a few things in before she got home!!!

Cal

Oh yea, even the dowel handle was repurposed.  It was on a magazine rack I was given.  Had about 15 maple dowels 32" long x 1.125 diameter.

• Like 1

Cal - we are enablers and instigators - we send people down those slippery slopes without a life line lol

• Like 2

I hear you Scott, but that's a slippery slope!  The pc system isn't any good without an oven.  The oven begets more wiring/gas to operate it, the wiring/gas begets more work I would "have" to do to pay for it all...  unless, maybe I used the kitchen oven?  Maybe when the wife is out for the day I could sneak a few things in before she got home!!!

Cal

Oh yea, even the dowel handle was repurposed.  It was on a magazine rack I was given.  Had about 15 maple dowels 32" long x 1.125 diameter.

Do NOT do that...............  She will find out. 

It's a smelly process. 

It's a smelly process. 

Talking from experience?

Cal - we are enablers and instigators - we send people down those slippery slopes without a life line lol

Don't you think it would be ok if I told the wife "Scott said it would work and be ok?"

It's a smelly process. 

Kinda like the wife's cooking?  Sometimes I kid her that she doesn't need to call me for supper - I can hear the smoke alarm in the garage!!!

Let me sign out now before she comes in and sees what I have been typing...

Cal

• Like 3

It's a smelly process. 

It's a really smelly process.  I accidently got into Vinyl when I was using a cutter for making masks for power coating.  The fumes given off from the powder coat will render your house oven useless for cooking food.  Get ya a old kitchen oven on Craigs list and bake away. Powder coat is nothing more than finely ground up plastic of sorts.

A toaster oven will work as well for small parts and if you keep your eye out on craigslist someone will be giving away a free oven at some point, then it's just a matter of the 220V line to power it.