Sign in to follow this  
FrogDog

Oramask 813 with automotive urethane paints.

Has anybody used Oramask 813 for stencils they painted with automotive Urethane's?  How did it work?

The description says it is recommended for water based but my customer is using urethanes.  So is it going to melt?

Thanks.

It's one of the reasons I stick with the Createx AutoAir line.... Works with the same mask I use for canvas pieces and Wicked colors.

Have a look on You Tube at some of Ed Hubbs earlier videos... he used House of Color Urethanes and may recommend something different.

Turns out my guy is going to use Krylon.  Would the 813 be OK for that? 

I keep asking about the the 813 because I will be using the rest of the roll for my personal work and it is a hell of a lot cheaper.

I use mostly water based.  Golden, wicked, auto air and createx illustration colors on canvas, illustration board and aluminum panels.  But these old airplane restorers don't want to hear about water based stuff.  I got away with wicked and autoborne on a nose art job I did because I 2 pk cleared over it.  This guy is just painting numbers and wants to do a one shot and done on it.

I LOVE Venturetape myself.  Use it for everything. Except now I am running out and I can't find a supplier.  Coast used to carry it but dropped it for their own branded stuff.

Just get a roll of the 813 for yourself and test it with the Krylon.

Observe the results and err on the cautious side.

(also, protect yourself from possible consequences)

I don't think I have any of their spray paint. I don't generally use Krylon.

Maybe have an old can of clear. If I do I'll spray a little on some and find out.

Yeah.  That's what I was thinking as I wrote that last one.  Just get a roll and test it.  It's cheap enough and I've got plenty of use for it on other stuff.  Heck, it may even work better than the Venturetape I can't find.

Thanks.  I'll let you know how it works out.

The 813 arrived. Had some problems with setting the copam to cut some tight letters but that is a whole other story. I used one of the bad cuts as a test. Pounded it with Krylon. Just loaded it on. Was trying to get as much of the solvents onto the mask as possible. It did NOT melt. It peeled off easily and pretty much held nicely. Other than the cutting problems I might actually like the stuff. Needs more testing in my art process but it might be an acceptable replacement for the Venturetape. It certainly will work for the purpose I was asking about.

• Like 1