My copam 2500 has been turning off and on.  As soon as I power it up it automatically (at about 1-2 second intervals) continually goes off and then on, and the carriage tries to move further to the right as it comes on and then it shuts off to start up and do it again.  We have replaced the carriage and it didn't change anything.  Do we need a new motherboard?  I thought it was a communication error with the computer, but it does it regardless of whether or not it's hooked up to the computer.  Any help would be appreciated!!!!

I would call support to let them troubleshoot it rather than keep throwing money randomly at it - sounds like mb but let them rule out power supply first.  if you need one they have them clearance here 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Copam-Motherboard-With-USB-Port-/151526228473?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2347aac1f9

• Like 1

Thanks dakotagrafx!

We had a carriage from an earlier repair, so it was just one we had on hand. Is the mother board you linked to one that will work for the copam 2500 cutter?  Can you get a power supply if needed?

Thanks again!

strange I just went and checked it and it shows the right one - the same one you posted :(

Not that it necessarily has anything to do with your situation, but I remember once hooking my MH unit to a 12v power inverter in a vehicle, and it would act that way, powering on and off. I solved the problem by removing (snapping off) the ground prong on the power plug, and just having the two rectangular prongs plugged in.

You could try using a little adapter that allows the ground pin to be disabled. (They are available at most dollar stores)

970618_sk_lg.jpg

strange I just went and checked it and it shows the right one - the same one you posted :(

I just checked it again,,,It says  

Motherboard for Creation PCut Vinyl Cutter 24" or 36" w/ USB Port   $39.99.    What does every one else get, when they click Dakotas link above for the board?

Your link takes me here.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motherboard-for-Creation-PCut-Vinyl-Cutter-24-or-36-w-USB-Port-/161492209524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2599af8f74

I just checked it again,,,It says  

Motherboard for Creation PCut Vinyl Cutter 24" or 36" w/ USB Port   $39.99.    What does every one else get, when they click Dakotas link above for the board?

Your link takes me here.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motherboard-for-Creation-PCut-Vinyl-Cutter-24-or-36-w-USB-Port-/161492209524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2599af8f74

im getting this also

that is weird - it read copam in the web link I was posting  - i even went in and deleted it several times to correct it but not until I deleted it and move it down a few lines did it correct it - all because I didn't grab the right link to begin with

then how does it dissipate any static in the machine and vinyl slice?   

I don't know, the machine was grounded to the stand with a wire, and I used dryer sheets in the center of the vinyl rolls, and it worked fine that way while hooked up to the power inverter in my van.

It was acting crazy, on and off on and off, until I removed that ground pin and that did the trick.

What can I say --  the MH machine is a strange beast.

YMMV.

hmmm - normally grounding your stand to the plotter works to dissapate the static in the roll and stand because the plotter is already grounded thru the plug is why I asked

Thanks for all the help, and a laugh!  It may be time to replace the old copam.  If I start putting parts into it I may as well buy a new one. I see USCutter doesn't sell the copam anymore, any suggestions for a cutter that does the same thing my old copam does?  Anyone have any comments on the US Cutter MH or SC series or the Laser point II cutter?

Thanks!

Pass on the MH. The SC seems to have a pretty good following among forum members. I have a LP2 for a backup and it's done everything I've ever asked of it.

don't go backwards - after the hi count stepper motor in the copam I think you will be disappointed in the lower models.  I would head toward the titan or titan2 to replace it - difference being the titan2 has a servo motor and the titan has a stepper similar to the copam but with much improved electronics

• Like 2

Not that it necessarily has anything to do with your situation, but I remember once hooking my MH unit to a 12v power inverter in a vehicle, and it would act that way, powering on and off. I solved the problem by removing (snapping off) the ground prong on the power plug, and just having the two rectangular prongs plugged in.

You could try using a little adapter that allows the ground pin to be disabled. (They are available at most dollar stores)

970618_sk_lg.jpg

Those are not intended to "disable" the ground prong. What you do with those is remove the screw from your cover plate on the outlet and secure the adapter with the screw in the eyelet. This properly grounds your device, as the ground prong is connected to the eyelet.

• Like 1