Sign in to follow this  
prodyno

Cutter stops mid cut all of a sudden

We've had our cutter for almost 4 years now, SC model.  Haven't had any problems out of it.  Computer crashed so had to purchase a new one.  Was on the phone with US Cutters and they helped me through setting up my software, testing the cutter etc...everything worked fine for almost a month, then one about 2 weeks ago, it decided to stop mid cut on decal 3 out of 20 (which is what I normally run per time).  I thought maybe it was because of how cold it had gotten..office doesn't have heat, and we had single digit weather for a few days.  But I've tried a few different things and it's still doing it, and it's a lot warmer now...I've re-ground the cutter thinking maybe it was static buildup, but alas nothing

any ideas for me??

I am not sure on solution, but the biggest thing I see is the no heat, electronics in extreme temp changes always have issues. Don't forget things that get cold have condensation when they start to warm up.

As to the issue have you updated SCALP lately? I have found some of the updates have caused cutting issues for me.

• Like 1

Well I reground the cutter, turned it off, unplugged it, restarted my computer (all which I've done before and not working) and boom, we have liftoff! These things are so temperamental! 

You might also be fighting a static charge. My P-Cut was horrible about freezing up if I wasn't careful to discharge the area. I ended up having the best luck with a spray can of anti-static cling like women use for dresses. I would hose down the area especially behind the cutter where the vinyl rubs back and forth over the roll. 

• Like 3

Well I spoke too soon...got one sheet of decals out and started the 2nd one and it just stopped again...

Just touched it ad shocked myself as well..static buildup I'm assuming

Get a can of static guard and spray the cutter and the roll. This should help.

Get a can of static guard and spray the cutter and the roll. This should help.

Thanks jaybird...I will go to the store and get some and give it a try, and report back!

I'll be trying the spray as well. I've wasted I don't know how many yards of vinyl because my machine has been stopping mid-cut. It's almost always toward the end of a long day of cutting (8-10 hours into the day). Since I've started cutting with my machine (Titan II) I've switched computers, changed software (from SCALP 3 to SCALP 4) and bought/tried a serial cable in place of the USB cable. I'm still having aborted cuts, with the wasted vinyl probably up over 20 yards at this point, and it's getting pretty frustrating, especially on my larger pieces which take time to cut. 

I've checked/double checked the ground wire that came with the Titan II, and while It's installed properly, it seems like it should be connected to bare metal, as opposed to the powder coated metal that the directions say. I'd also think that the cutter's 3 prong plug would assist with the grounding process, but I'm no electrician by any means. 

I did notice tonight that the cutter disconnected and immediately reconnected from my laptop at the time of the problem, which I attribute to the static discharge. (I know this because I recently changed my laptop's system sounds to be different when a device connects vs when it disconnects, as well as when the software notifies me that the cut is finished, allowing me to better know what is happening with the software/hardware. It sounded off all three notifications in rapid succession when the cutter quit on me. ) 

Any other suggestions for eliminating this problem in the long run? I really don't want to have to buy stock in anti-static spray. I've thought about placing an anti-static office mat under the cutter, but since I'm unclear on the science behind my problem, I wonder if it would be a waste of money. Anyone else tried that? I'm ready to go as far as requesting a replacement of the cutter, since it's really costing me time & money at this point. Thoughts? 

Do you turn your cutter off between cuts?  If not, try doing it, so it dumps the data from the last order. Also vinyl has a lot of static in it..Running a humidifier helps..And yes, many have used Static Guard, and dryer sheets.  Some put dryer sheets in the vinyl rolls, wipe down their cutters and vinyl with it.  They only recommended  USB to serial  is a Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter or a Belkin...

I  also have  all of my screensavers,hibernate, etc turned off on my computer. 

I haven't tried shutting my cutter off, but will give that a shot. I've had my decals interrupted 4 times today already, so it seems like it's getting worse. I haven't had my laptop going into sleep mode or showing a screensaver.  

A good check for static problem...Try running the order, with the blade holder out of the machine.or up, so that the blade does not touch the vinyl. ..If it finishes the order, all the time,  Good chance it is static from the vinyl.

• Like 4

I have never had shut down issues due to static. But I have my home built roller set up very well grounded and I made this extra ground clamp I use when cutting anything over a couple feet. (after pre-feeding, I clamp it to the vinyl sheet right as it comes off the roll) The clamp is cheap and easy to make. Might be worth a try even as a diagnostic tool.

post-37668-0-88870000-1422454065_thumb.j

• Like 3

Just had my cutter stop mid cut also last night....pissed me off. It was on stahls fashion film. I noticed when i opened and unrolled a new roll there was static.

Have been dealing with this issue ALL day, would have NEVER thought about static.  Thanks for the insight, I think I will be trying to make one of the Anti Static devices myself!

Hi all, I have had this same problem twice and both times I have had to call support and have them remotely connect to my computer to make changes for me.

Yesterday i had the problem once again so a total of three times...  so i came back to this awesome forum to update you on my latest episode. I tried the ground method which is something i did not know about but is very good information. however it didn't work.. I also did the normal which included disconnecting the main power, shutting of machine and removing the usb cord. I also used two different computers just in case something was wrong with my laptop. so i wait until customer service is open on Monday all while loosing jobs this weekend.  I am starting to think i need TWO of everything in case of these very situations.

( only in my dreams...lol)

have a good rest of the weekend guys and gals

Have you tried a serial cable or Tripplite Keyspan Adapter,?  These have helped thousands,  USB is glitchy on the value cutters.  Not True USB...like the higher end cutters..

MZ Skeeter, I intended on using a serial cable when i set up, but the port is on the wrong side of my cutter based on the location of my desktop and would not reach my desktop. I will do so now. I am also installing the ground cable. all the things i should have done from the start. UPDATE...I just downloaded the latest pro 4 version and did a test cut with absolutely NO problem. But you better believe after reading these forums and all the  great wisdom you lady's and gents share i will be setting up properly from here on out ! Iif you have anymore hints, tips or tricks im always here to listen, or read...lol

question;  What is a tripplite keyspan adapter?

thank you in advance

shane

Just showing this Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter as example.  You can find different prices for it.. But get the real deal. Others will not work with a vinyl cutter.  This one and a Belkin are the ONLY ones that will work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Special-Price-NEW-Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-Keyspan-High-Speed-USB-to-Serial-Adapter-/200708345761?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebb264fa1

• Like 1

MZ Skeeter, I intended on using a serial cable when i set up, but the port is on the wrong side of my cutter based on the location of my desktop and would not reach my desktop. I will do so now. I am also installing the ground cable. all the things i should have done from the start. UPDATE...I just downloaded the latest pro 4 version and did a test cut with absolutely NO problem. But you better believe after reading these forums and all the  great wisdom you lady's and gents share i will be setting up properly from here on out ! Iif you have anymore hints, tips or tricks im always here to listen, or read...lol

question;  What is a tripplite keyspan adapter?

thank you in advance

shane

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tripplite+keyspan+adapter

• Like 2