motoxchic

Suggestions on how to cut this thin outline?

I normally cut so there is no overlap between colors.  Sometimes there is a small gap in spots but it is not noticeable on large signs, far away stuff, etc.  I am doing a semi truck door for a friend who i know is meticulous.  The cut line for the light blue color is the yellow line, which would leave me a little overlap in case it is slightly off. 

Green Vinyl is 951 Premium Metallic

Blue Vinyl 751

Questions:

1.  What is the smallest width for the outline i should use...right now its about .125" (considering its metallic vinyl)

2.  Should i cut it with an overlap or no overlap (and hope it goes on straight (twice!)

Thank you!

post-29312-0-49475800-1421503607_thumb.j

if it were me I would reverse the layers so the green was solid with the blue cut to the interior size of the outline. I would also use some registration marks in all 4 corners and then pull them back off the door after getting it lined up. You will get more adhesion with much longer life on the design rather than a skinny outline. Even the 951 is going to be getting a work out at what looks like 1/4" overall width, assuming the 1/8" overlap you described. It will look better too because you won't have that underlaying cut line showing through which may or may not be perfectly lined up. 

I have a little trick I stumbled across a couple years ago. Use a sheet of parchment paper (like you bake with) as a temporary backing at time of install. Just lay your top layer on it's face and pull off the carrier and throw the parchment on enough to cover the whole vinyl and close enough on the top to still allow a tape hinge from the app tape to the door. Pick them both up (carefully because the parchment won't stick to the vinyl) and position it on the door until you're happy which will be easier because the parchment paper is almost see through and then tape the hinge. Flip the app tape and vinyl up and slip the parchment paper out since it doesn't stick to much of anything it comes right out and your in position. I use the 15" rolls from Costco. Has saved many tough jobs for me. 

• Like 6

Goose, thanks for all the info! Ideally i wanted to do a solid green first, then blue over it, however, when i have layered vinyl over vinyl before, it seems when i pull the transfer off my second layer it will start to show bubbles EVERYWHERE, so i have not done that since.  My guess is something with my technique :|

I actually have some of that exact same parchment paper.  Had NO idea vinyl would not stick...that is awesome.  So basically, i am replacing the backing paper with parchment paper? (would be great if someone invented see through backing paper, right?)    No flecks of paper anywhere to cause bubbles/bumps?

I have to do one of our trucks today also, so i will definitely be trying that.

I would guess squeegee technique. The parchment will help either direction you go. Incidentally Gerber makes a high end vinyl that is on a clear plastic carrier. Other than registration help I didn't particularly love it. The work I was doing was pretty big and the backing was lighter so when trying to weed the big pieces it wanted to lift up the whole thing instead of just weeding off the excess.

do you think wet/dry application?  I rarely use wet, it makes me nervous, lol. 

If its difficult to work with, I guess thats why clear backing is not popular.

I dry apply most of the time. It's soooo mich faster. The backing is probably much more expensive would be my guess. Once weeded it was no problem to work with and I guess you could probably cut with a tad more pressure without fear of over it so it's not all bad.

If you are careful to work out from the middle in controlled up and down strokes o can't see there being a problem with dry app full overlap. Sometimes people get going in all kinds of directions without paying attention but that's usually a recipe for bubbles.

Hey Goose, you ever thought about doing up a you tube video of the parchment paper process you described above?

Some people (like me) have more trouble comprehending the written word, but seeing an actual demonstration all the lights come on...

I haven't done much layering either, just a couple of decals, so it is a little difficult to visualize.

Cal

• Like 2

I pretty much suck at video although I might consider it. In the meantime watch this video: (I think about every vinyl newbie on the planet has watched this guy knock out a quick multi-color design.)

Essentially my trick is the same thing only substituting a piece of parchment paper for the piece of carrier that he pulls up and slides down enough to show his registration marks. Not complicated but a little tough to fully describe.  Lay it on it's face after covering with transfer tape and remove the backing and substitute the carrier for a piece of parchment paper and then pick them both up and lay them over your design. The biggest difference with the parchment paper is you can cover your registration marks also because you can pretty well see though it and it keeps you from accidentally touching them together before you get it perfectly positioned. This guys way is great and works well for bench mounted designs but I prefer not to layer before application and do it during the job if possible. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, Goose.  I have watched a couple you tube clips of the technique and will give your suggestion a try.

Cal

PARCHMENT PAPER IS MY NEW BEST FRIEND!!!  Thanks for the tip Goose...worked almost perfectly!  (Had a black truck with a green metallic so it was harder to see, but you can rub a pencil over the edges in several spots and get a good idea.  Truck turned out great and i used it for our truck logo also.  Ours has about 5 colors and it went pretty quick!

Tried parchment on a pile of 3 color decals last week and I no longer see the need for a light box. Great tip ! ! ! 

• Like 2

I often take a piece with me for complicated installs out in the field. Cheap and effective.

• Like 1

I pretty much suck at video although I might consider it.  

BULLSHIT. You're last video I saw was of your Fusion heat press and it came out GREAT!!!. Now...... MAKE ONE FOR THIS ONE!!!!!!!!! :angry: >:(:angry:

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

• Like 2

Was using the parchment trick yesterday thinking how much easier it is to layer now. thanks again.

• Like 2