Sign in to follow this  
SJay

Paypal Buyer Protection

If I buy something on Craigslist and pay via Paypal do I have any protection - Paypal policy seems a little vague??

Thanks

I don't believe so but probably skeeter knows better than me  - I think it applies to ebay only

maybe - hope someone else has experience with that - cl I always use cash as it would be local - never had that come back to bite me

If you pay with Paypal,  you have Paypal protection...   A lot of vendors and stores accept Paypal..  But it not like the Ebay policy.. You would have to read Paypal terms.

yes, well, probably. depending on how you send the funds. 

i went through this myself. i got something off craigs list. guy was about an hour away and it was a small item for a good price. instead of driving an hour, i asked, can you just throw it in the mail and ill throw in a few extra $$$. he agreed, and asked if i could sent the money as a "gift" because of blah blah blah. i thought ....ehhhh..., but the whole thing was MY IDEA, so i didnt feel like i was being scammed. so i said, wtf, ok. 

soooo.. i got scammed. i went through paypal and they told me that i could not reverse the charges (or whatever they call it) because it was a gift, and it was not for an item or services. 

funny thing is i paid for it with my paypal mastercard. i called them and told them i didnt receive the merchandise and they got my money back from pay pal. 

id like to think that they learned a lesson. they would not take the money back from a criminals account to refund me, so in the end, the cc company took it from them and left them holding the bag. but i doubt they learned anything from it. 

moral of the story, make sure you add EXACTLY what the money is for in the paypal notes, because that is your sales contract. if the pay pal note do not say the money is for what you claim it is for, then you are not entitled to it. 

• Like 1

If you are a CC holder in good standing and not some brand new guy I know that most will do as deth502 described and suck that money right back from a business if you declare it a fraudulent activity. I have not had to do this or had it pulled on me but a good friend has a supply store and quit taking card purchases because it happened so often. 

• Like 1