Sign in to follow this  
63petro63

Not cutting corners/occasional poor cutting performance

I bought the SC USCutter model a couple months ago and am starting to use it more.  Upon using it more, I have noticed that it will "half-ass" (for lack of a better term) certain cuts and is also inconsistent on cuts.  What's interesting is it looks all fine in SCAP.  It's typical the last corner or edge of an object that it will do it.  Like the attached image, the other 3 corners are fine, but the last corner it doesn't cut good. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, it doesn't look like software but machine related.   I would hate to have to go buy another, non uscutter machine to resolve these inconsistencies.

Thanks,

Ryan

I haven't contacted tech support, thought I would ask on the forums first if anyone else has had similar issues

You posted your first exact question and pictures on Jan 10th,  It had 72 views, and no answers,, Most regulars are on most every day... If you really want to get it fixed,, I would contact tech support...

I bought the SC USCutter model a couple months ago and am starting to use it more.  Upon using it more, I have noticed that it will "half-ass" (for lack of a better term) certain cuts and is also inconsistent on cuts.  What's interesting is it looks all fine in SCAP.  It's typical the last corner or edge of an object that it will do it.  Like the attached image, the other 3 corners are fine, but the last corner it doesn't cut good. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, it doesn't look like software but machine related.   I would hate to have to go buy another, non uscutter machine to resolve these inconsistencies.

Thanks,

Ryan

no image attached to show what the problem is . . .  if you are not getting complete cuts is your blade adjusted correctly?  have you added to the overcut?

if you look for another machine try a graphtec or similar servo motor machine.

threatening to buy another uscutter machine on a USER forum that is seldom frequented by usc employees (hint mods are volunteers and not paid staff) is kinda useless - except for the people that want to buy your machine cheap as you go elsewhere.  if you want help we will try to help with the needed pictures - if you want to threaten the company with going elsewhere I would call them as that is about the only way they will see it

sorry forgot to attach the image, I believe my blade is adjusted correctly, doesn't cut through the backing, easy to weed.  Using oracal 651

post-90656-0-57998200-1421174627_thumb.j

that looks like something is slipping - you are not making the machine pull the vinyl off the roll are you?  using absolute least blade to minimize drag?

I do appreciate all this help!  I do use it of the roll, should I pre-cut it and manually feed it first?  My blade looks like about a 1/4 of the width of a credit card.  Perhaps even less blade and more pressure?  My settings in SCAP for blade offset is .3mm with an overcut of 1mm.

is that negative or positive offset? you can try the opposite- and test on a smaller image to limit vinyl waste.

correct way to set blade depth

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 1

That's a positive offset, I'll try a test image with a negative one right now.  Yeah I don't think i'm hitting the paper backing much, so should I try adding some more pressure or add some more blade?  I'm at 100 g for pressure right now

I try to put a negative value in the blade offset on SCAP but it won't let me.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Not sure- i dont know how to set offset with SCALP. - I just know sometimes when lines don't meet- it can be offset.

Not sure- i dont know how to set offset with SCALP. - I just know sometimes when lines don't meet- it can be offset.

Okay so would increasing or decreasing the offset possibly help?  What does the offset value do in terms of cutting?

never make a plotter pull off the roll - that very well could be your slippage along with the too much blade.  always unroll enough and leave hanging for the job.  think we all made that mistake early on cause it seems cooler to let the machine pull what it needs - unfortunately with a pressure roller on grit  roller system it allows for slippage that makes your ends not meet like you showed

• Like 1

I've never had issues with the SC pulling vinyl off the roll. As a matter of fact, if you don't watch it, it will roll off.....and roll off..... and roll off..... LOL The bearings in the spools are awesome, absolutely no drag.

Check pinch roller tension, and make sure you're not letting the vinyl "escape" the pinch rollers... in other words, make sure the vinyl is always under the roller wheel and not in the center where the white  l__l is. There's no traction for a roller there as the rod isn't knurled.

on the offset - you could be stirring up more than you plan - offset affects every corner the cutter makes - so not lining up at the end of  a cut is highly unlikely to be offset.  set your offset so your test cuts look right and leave it alone

http://www.vinylforum.org/smf/resources/offset-diagram/

• Like 2

I have this same machine and have not had this problem. I hook mine usb connection as well. I run everything at 200 speed and 24g pressure with. The blade is set where you can barely see the tip and cuts great. I do turn my machine of and back on after 2 to 3 cuts due to low memory..  

After reading your first post, and looking at your description and pics - I think the problem you have with this black cut is your vector file.  I don't know how to edit nodes in SCALP, but if you enlarge that corner and look at the anchor points my money is your problem is there.

Can't help you on the white cuts with random good cuts and random bad cuts on the same file.  That may be due to the tracking issues up above.

Can you post your file image and let us look at the corner?

Cal

Thanks for all the help everyone!  I really appreciate it.  I think adding more pressure to the pinch rollers and no longer cutting straight from the roll helped.  The marks the pinch rollers leave eventually go away correct?