efimage

Roland has a new cutter out the GS-24

Oh damn!! And what timing too!! I want to get involved in stickers/vinyls/sinage as a side job.  Might have to look into this.
btw 1st post :P

Too bad it's too new to find out if it's better than the Graphtec6000-60. The Graphtec still has that Transcendental Meditation thingy ;D   and cuts in FRONT of the rollers....

Ok...I just watched what I could find on youtube and Stahls the past 2 hours and edited this post:

Roland GS-24 22.9"          Graphtec 6000-60

Max Cutting Width:            22.9 "                                23.7"

Max Force                         350g                          450g (Stahls) 300g (US Cutter)

Speed                                20ips                                35.4ips

Cut length                          984 inches                       1968 inches

*Graphtec cuts in FRONT of the cutter while the new Roland GS-24 still does not = wasted material

**Graphtec has the emulation feature while Roland does not (whether Roland needs it or not, I don't know, 'cause Jaybird or someone said that Rolands cut better anyway)

***Stahls rates the Graphtec 6000-60 to have 450g of force while the US CUTTER site says it only has 300g. So the new Roland only has 50 more, which I'm new here, so I don't know if that makes much difference.

****The Graphtec stand is FREE and has the "screw-thingy" guides on each side of the vinyl , while the Roland is $300 for the stand (and shipping cost) and no guide thingies (which is also why I think that that's why

the Graphtec can print over twice as long as the Roland.

*****The Roland boasts about having an overcut and overlap feature, letting your cut 10x so you can cut the thickest of materials....hmmm.... :rolleyes:

I have NOT bought my cutter yet, I was going to get the Graphtec 6000-60 until efimage mentioned this new one that's taking the GX-24's place.

I would LOVE to hear other's thoughts on which one is a better cutter/buy :) !!!!!!!

Ok...back to at least 2 more hours of youtube and Stahls tv ;)

**Graphtec has the emulation feature while Roland does not (whether Roland needs it or not, I don't know, 'cause Jaybird or someone said that Rolands cut better anyway)

Don't throw me in there lol. Never used a Roland myself to know but love love love my graphtecs. From what I read of your comparison the Graphtec tracks farther, cuts faster and comes with a stand. Most programs will let you multi cut with any machine you I'd xxx that pc. of info out.

Out of all the above noted specs the ones I see that might really latter would be the almost extra inch of cutting width and the length of cut speaks volumes about tracking ability. Real world testing would be interesting though. 

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!  SORRY Jaybird....I think that quote was on MY thread. I'll look it up later on who said it when I get home ;) !!!

FH

Hope it wasn't me  :ph34r:

Roland GS-24 22.9"          Graphtec 6000-60

Max Cutting Width:            22.9 "                                23.7"

Max Force                         350g                          450g (Stahls) 300g (US Cutter)

Speed                                20ips                                35.4ips

Cut length                          984 inches                       1968 inches

***Stahls rates the Graphtec 6000-60 to have 450g of force while the US CUTTER site says it only has 300g. So the new Roland only has 50 more, which I'm new here, so I don't know if that makes much difference.

Bert on the downforce I believe you can get the higher 450g of force on the largest width machine only. The CE-6000-120 The rest state they have the same 300g. 

Hi all.

I have a Roland GS24. I've experienced problems cutting on Hi Speed and Normal speed settings. The cutting process will sometimes work well...apart from tracking issues...then without any trapping or feed issues it will stop, giving F8..F4 ..or sometimes F1 error on dial. It will run all day on the Heavy setting when the material I'm using is a high grade vinyl? I've run from Corel X8 and wondered if anyone had suffered similar.

Roland have replaced the machine but the issues still occur. 

Any ideas...Rippy.

We are mostly Graphtec owners here.  Or UScutter owners... So what is F8? F4 F1?  errors?  What do the errors mean?   I thought Roland cutters were supposed to track pretty good.  That could be user error.   

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Hi. Thanks for the response. 

Roland not too good on tracking as i have now read on this forum but i can live with that as it may be the inaccurate cutting of the rolls or even my inability to load properly. Constant realignment is the usual practice.

F8 is machine error code that indicates when the material is dragging and putting a load on the motor....checked this and it wasn't.  F4 is when the material is trapped....but it isn't  and I believe F1 is motor overload....according to the Roland tech.

Are you prefeeding the vinyl, so there is vinyl slack and not pulling from the roll while cutting?   You should always have enough vinyl  slack to do the order  That also helps with tracking.  

Hi again. Yes, pre feed and allowing material free flow both over the roll and directly to fall at the back. The Roland engineers (3 of them) have tried but can't fathom as to why these errors appear. Yet set on the Heavy mode it will cut all day....just at a slower pace.

Rip.

Sorry, but I have never read such a problem here on the forum and have been here for 10 years.  If it's 2nd cutter, sounds like a Roland problem.  Sell it, and get a Graphtec. my 2c.   I have owned my Graphtec for 10 years and never have problems.  If Roland has a forum I would ask there.  

Hi Skeeter.

Thanks for you help and quick response. I wondered if it was my software but if the machine runs on one setting happily but fails on the others then surely it's a generic issue. Roland don't want to know sadly and this is the 3rd plotter cutter I've had from them???

I will look into the Graphtec on your advice. Will that operate from Corel X8 and cut from PDF Files like the Roland?

Cheers

Rip.

Graphtec has their Cutting Master 4    This is the info.  

CUTTING MASTER 4

Win 10/8.1/8/7, 32&64 BITS, PLUG-IN FOR ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR CS4, CS5, CS6, CC, CC2014, CC2015, CC2015.3, CC2017, CC2018 & CORELDRAW X4-X8, 2017, 2018)

ALSO, if you purchase a new Graphtec, you get FREE  Graphtec PRO Studio software, which is over $1000. It is a rebranded Flexisign pro, software, 

https://www.graphtecamerica.com/cp-graphtec-pro-studio-request-form/

Thanks Skeeter. That's what i call detailed information.  I am based in the UK and I will check out the suppliers tomorrow. 

Again thanks for your help. 

Rip.

Your welcome,  The info I gave you was for Graphtec America, so results may vary.  You can check Graphtec online for your area.   

10 hours ago, Rippy said:

Thanks Skeeter. That's what i call detailed information.  I am based in the UK and I will check out the suppliers tomorrow. 

Again thanks for your help. 

Rip.

Being in the UK you might check out Summa. They are made in Belgium, A little pricey but are built like tanks and are known for their awesome tracking. They have regular drag knife cutters which is what I use and they also sell full tangential cutters as well.