Moody Blue

Weekend Project...3 color Drumhead

So I finally decided it was time to get a new front drum head on my kit. Found a nice blank Evans resonant head at Guitar Center and decided to give it that "Moody" touch. Designed the artwork in Adobe Illustrator to reflect on my death metal playing style...or metalasf*** as we commonly refer it too. I used Oracal 751 Glossy White for the skull, 951 Silver Gray Metallic for the stars, and 3M 1080 Matte Garnet Metallic for the red. Also strategically placed the skull to work with the mic hole and added my "signature" to complete the look. That new head gave the kit a great look and a killer new sound!

post-84967-0-25044400-1421074523_thumb.j

post-84967-0-01650200-1421074534_thumb.j

• Like 8

That's real cool! I wondered what the deal was around the eye until I read your explanation. You always do great work. 

That's real cool! I wondered what the deal was around the eye until I read your explanation. You always do great work. 

Thanks! The head came precut with the hole and a foam "muffle" ring adhered to the head so I had to work around that with the design.

• Like 1

nice work.

Questions from newbie.

1. You mentioned 3 colors: White, Garnet, Gray Metallic, so i assume black is a base color from the drum (they usually white, do not think i saw them black but i am not a musician).?

2. Those distressed stars - are those just random cut outs to show black background?

thanks

nice work.

Questions from newbie.

1. You mentioned 3 colors: White, Garnet, Gray Metallic, so i assume black is a base color from the drum (they usually white, do not think i saw them black but i am not a musician).?

2. Those distressed stars - are those just random cut outs to show black background?

thanks

Yes the head came glossy black already. Any of the black you see are from "cutouts" so the detail in the skull, the "negative" space between the objects, and the distress in the stars are all showing the actual drumhead through. I do this for most of my decals using cutouts as a second/third color accents to show depth while keeping the cost down. Heres two I did where the red is the paint from the truck. 

post-84967-0-25184100-1421088564_thumb.j

post-84967-0-23063400-1421088570_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hey Moody, another Drummer here...Did you notice any sound change in that head or in your Kick in general.  I've been kicking around (no pun intended..lol) the same idea for my Gretch Kick.

I almost wanted to try it on some Tom heads I have that need replacing soon.  I bet those would sound different.  I tend to favor Moon Gels  :)

I didn't notice much. I had the head on for about 3 days without the vinyl and if anything it helped muffle or mute some of the "ring"....I don't stuff my kick with pillows or egg crate anymore lol. However not sure if it would work the same on the toms or not. I always just a piece of duct tape with a cymbal felt taped to the resonant head to eliminate ringing but now rarely do that anymore. I don't think it would effect the sound too much probably just "dry" it out if you did vinyl on the batter head....I would imagine it similar to the pinstripe heads. 

• Like 1

Thanks I had lots of fun working on this one! It's always nice to break away from routine and do a little personal work every now and then lol!