Sign in to follow this  
SurberSigns

How would you install this?

My local barber shop wants me to install a wall mural, which is a pretty large piece. The wall is about 10 ft down and 12 ft across. All black vinyl and one word of white at the bottom. Every word/line is about 24 inches tall.. How would I calculate the $ and labor for this?

Here is a rough sketch of what I am doing.. Everything is already cut out.

Would you take application tape still? Or pin everything up, measure and apply the big letters without using application tape?

http://i61.tinypic.com/30ksmdt.png

As for me I would be using 24" vinyl and for ease of installation, I'd do it as seperate lines with spacing "pre marked" to tie it all together. Just my $.02

That's the way I've done it, get all of your measurements from the mat in your program.

As for me I would be using 24" vinyl and for ease of installation, I'd do it as seperate lines with spacing "pre marked" to tie it all together. Just my $.02

What do you mean exactly?

Each line of text installed individually, cut from 24" vinyl. mark the vertical centerline on the window, then a horizontal centerline for each line, then install wet. Don't forget to mark the horizontal and vertical lines on ea. piece of vinyl. Most of the measurements could be gotten from the mat you design on.

Donn

You might have to bump up to 30" vinyl if your letters are ending up too big to fit on 24" to avoid having to tile it. (assumes that you have a wide enough cutter). You will still need to use app tape for cut graphics. I calculate based on the actual used materials plus some waste and enough that if I screw something up I can afford to fix it and then take a WAG on the install time and also pad that a little because it always seems to take a little longer than it should have especially on indoor walls if they are textured. There is also a possibility that the painted wall may have anti-stain in it which will really ruin your day. You might want to do a test piece to check the adhesion. I did a 10ft long quote for a family over the holiday and we did a test piece which held fine but he has been having to keep sticking individual letters back up here and there for a week since the install. This with 631. 

the install is actually going onto the white wall, not a window... does wet application work on the wall like that?? Or does it have to be dry? My cutter is 24" wide but I made the letters about 23" so that they fit..

• Like 1

I would not do wet app on a wall especially if it's indoor vinyl which has a water based adhesive. I tried wet app on a primer painted signboard and was lucky to get the app tape back off without taking the vinyl with it. I rarely have bubble issues with text where you can leave a little air behind in the weeded spots if needed as you work out from the middle. 

After I line up the entire wall mural, should I apply the 23 inch letters with application tape? or just apply them without tape? My application tape isnt quite 23 inches so Im going to have 2 sections of tape on each letter.

My local barber shop wants me to install a wall mural, which is a pretty large piece. The wall is about 10 ft down and 12 ft across. All black vinyl and one word of white at the bottom. Every word/line is about 24 inches tall.. How would I calculate the $ and labor for this?

Here is a rough sketch of what I am doing.. Everything is already cut out.

Would you take application tape still? Or pin everything up, measure and apply the big letters without using application tape?

http://i61.tinypic.com/30ksmdt.png

:huh:  This is just not adding up....

If your available wall space is 10'H x 12'W then this design will not fit if each of the five lines is 24"H (do the math). That design is taller than it is wide so if you want it to fit the wall and stay proportionate it would have to be a minimum of 110"H x 76"W. Thats leaving 5" of wall above and below the design. I personally would opt for a bit more dead space then that but....

Secondly the wall is white so ALL of the vinyl would be black with the wall color showing through the bottom two rows of text.

Yes use app tape. I see no other logical way to apply the vinyl. (post a vid if you apply it without app tape)

This should be five easy lines to apply and done.

........Not too sure about hiring a shop to hand paint it........seems like a much less economical option when vinyl will suffice.

• Like 1

although I have absolutely nothing constructive to add to this thread I just cannot pass the title each time without "ummm peel - stick" going thru my head.  sorry   :mellow:

• Like 1

I would either paint (or have someone paint the wall black then apply the lettering. If it has to be all done in vinyl, I would wse wrap vinyl for the black.

How did you print that kid?

He's so life-like!

3D printer

• Like 1

I have a 24 inch plotter. Each line was no more than 23 inches high so I didn't have to splice the words :) 10 yard roll vinyls. Worked PERFECTLY.