pearlheartgtr

Need a Cutter That Can Cut Leather

I am looking for a cutter, mainly for my father to make airbrush stencils with. But what I would like to do also is cut leather. I have been searching non stop for the past two days for an inexpensive (around $500) cutter to do the job. Problem is, I can't find info on cutting anything thicker than vinyl and such.

The machines I have narrowed down to are the Cricut Explore (it is proven to cut leather up to 4mm with a few passes), the KNK Zing, Vinyl Express R19, US Cutter Laser point II, or Titan.

I really do not want a Cricut because it forces you to use their web based software. I can set up a computer in the room the cutter will be in but I don't feel like running cable through my attic for an internet conncetion and the wifi signal is iffy at best on that side of the house. I also don't like being tied down to one piece of software. But the Cricut can do what I want it to do. I was considering a Cameo but apparantly, feeding it anything over 1mm is extremely tough to do.

Can thick material be fed into any of these cutters?

Thanks!

my suggestion would be to use the pen attachment to draw the image onto the leather and a nice pair of upholstery shears to cut it out.

Well, i was going to say that sounds like a big challenge for a cutter, and unlikely. Very heavy and thick. Best chance with a flatbed cutter. Does it have to be leather? Plenty of flexible masks out there

But there is this video--DISCLAIMER i cant tell if its actual leather that is being cut...

Someone should ask the guy what thickness, and was that actually leather...that has to be tough on a machine.

Found a claim that it has been done on a GX24 with 60 deg blade, and cutting mat. Thickness was ONLY 0.79mm. Two passes.

But you would need strong downforce, and strong X Y motors for best results i imagine.

I want to see it done! :)

The video says " vinyl cut printing on leather"   He is showing Thermoflex Xtra color guide, which says for decorating nylon or leather.  My thoughts are he is cutting Thermoflex. Xtra to apply to leather.  He is even showing the supplier name and address to buy it.

Yeah, I've seen the thread (I'm also a member there). I've seen a lot of threads, lol. I searched high and low for over 20 hours between two days before I started asking questions. I've been leathercrafting for several years and with some of the items I make, it takes me longer to cut them out with an Xacto blade than to actually form and assemble. I figured I could get the pieces cut out a lot quicker with a cutter.

I know a bit of downforce is needed for leather, but if the Cricut Explore can do it, I really don't see why the more higher end ones can't.

http://www.kgdcraftermath.com/2014/03/cricut-explore-cutting-materials/

http://content.provocraft.com/b/pdfs/cricutexplorematerialcutcapabilitytestreportv21.pdf

This is why I am asking about other machines. I know they are capable of the downforce, it is just what is the max thickness of material that they can accept being fed into them is what I need to know. In the PDF by Provocraft, the downforce they are using is somewhere around 300g with a few passes. I would like to NOT buy a Cricut, as I mentioned, because of the machines being locked to their online software. I like freedom to use what software I choose.

LOL, just a touch out of my budget. I can't spend more than $500. Anything more would not justify the cost.

that i have seen

Just $3000.00 over your budget lol but the only viable option i have seen for heavy duty cutting.

• Like 1

that i have seen Just $3000.00 over your budget lol but the only viable option i have seen for heavy duty cutting.

I agree. I don't think what you want is available within your budget unless you are willing to just take a chance on ruining a cheap cutter if it doesn't work.

• Like 1

Have you actually read anything I said? I'm not working with saddle leather or put the thing through a grind of nonstop cutting. It would be here and there. And that the Cricut CAN cut what I need it to cut. I just do not want to buy a Cricut. It is my last choice. So I really do not see how an industrial machine fits in here.

Flat-Cutting Textiles or natural fiber materials with a plotter designed for thin plastics is not something you're gonna get good, acceptable results from.

It sounds like you're not liking the answers given. Truth is not liking those answers doesn't make them incorrect. My opinion is that leather is too elastic and will not cut smoothly no matter what the down force or depth of cut. I grew up in a town whose only industry was finishing leather and was exposed to tons of different types of leather as a result and none I ever saw would be readily cuttable with any budget vinyl cutter.

• Like 1

I would like to see it performed- with video and sound--4mm soft leather cut with a budget cutter, or cricut. Im not sayig it cant be done...

• Like 1

Actually, no. I'm working with veg tan leather not garment. Garment is elastic while veg tan is a lot stiffer with little elasticity unless you soak it down or tug the hell out of it.

Stiffness is relative. Most materials that cutters are designed for are extremely dimensionally stable. When you grab to edges of your leather and tug it'll stretch slightly and that is what happens while the blade is dragging through it. I have a lp2 cutter sitting In the back of my store and if you'd like message me and I'll give you my address if you want to send a scrap for me to try it out. Also have a q75 I can try it on although that machine is way outside of your specified budget.

• Like 4

Any leather is gonna have fibers and that's where the main difference (between it and vinyl) lies.

It's not gonna shear smoothly with a blade system designed for non-fibrous plastics.

but a laser or water jet would work good  ^-^   but hey if a cricut works go with it. I am sure anything a cricut can cut a titan2 can cut but as with everyone else seams like leather is asking a lot of any plotter - but then again you will be the guinea pig and we won't be out anything

I would like to see it performed- with video and sound--4mm soft leather cut with a budget cutter, or cricut. Im not sayig it cant be done...

The blogger whose link I have posted is going to make a video of it cutting through 5/6 oz leather.