Primal Decals

Oracal to 3M HELP

I use Oracal 651 and 751, Im trying to find out what 3m product numbers is the same as Oracal as mine .Primarily matte white and black, i went to the site but i dont understand what the different types mean ( opaque etc) since im so new to this,i only know 651 and 751 lol...Thank you everyone in advance.. ;D

Contact your vinyl supplier, they should be able to send you swatch books.

Oracal 651 is an intermediate vinyl for short to medium term applications. Lasts only a few years outdoors and has low dimensional stability which means it will shrink!

Oracal 751 is a high performance vinyl for long term applications. Lasts 7 plus years. I have several signs and vehicle graphics using 751 that were done 10 plus years ago that still look good. This vinyl has great dimensional stability.

Opaque means that the vinyl will not allow light or the substrate color to pass through (at least in theory)...white vinyl on a black substrate will still be white once applied.

Translucent means the vinyl will let light shine through the vinyl. Backlit signs.

If I am wrong with any of this information, please feel free to teach me!

Hope this helps!

• Like 4

Glad to help!

Hey, it is very intimidating at first but you will learn. There are a lot of different vinyls out there and I have tried almost all of them. Remember, cheaper cost usually means cheap (junk) vinyl that will not last and is a pain to weed! Better to use the good film right off the bat so you will not have to go back later and redo the job. If you haven't already, find a good supply house (I use Fellers, N. Glantz, Imager's Supply...) and they can give you the skinny on what will work the best. I don't know where you are located but Fellers and Glantz has branches all over the US and Imagers Supply is in Louisville, KY.  Do a google search for Graphics Supply in your city.

Call these guys and have them send you a catalog. They offer a lot of stuff...vinyl, tools, equipment, substrates...........

N Glantz 1-800-645-2689

Fellers 1-800-654-8405  warning...Frank Fellers has his pic on every single page of the catalog! LOL!!

Best of luck!

Thanks 360Jeep.Ya i think im like 2 1/2 hours from any supplier. Ive been getting most from uscutter cause they get it here in like 2 days.Im only sticking with the best for what i do.The 3m brand has a 10 yr on what they have started to send me for free in sample rolls.

• Like 1

Also...get a subscription to SignCraft magazine... Has a ton of useful info!!!

• Like 1

The 10yr vinyl is similar to 951 Oracal if you are just looking for a comparison. I use a little of both but prefer the Oracal products. I use the 3M when I buy locally vs internet purchases. 360 gave great advice on buy now or pay later with quality. I use 751 primarily for vehicles but occasionally throw some 651 on a smooth job. The 651 is fairly tough but is a little thicker and much less conformable (on top of the shrink likelihood). Vehicles and glass do a lot more expansion and contraction than people realize. 

• Like 2

Thanks The only reason i was asking about it was because i started getting the free roll samples from them in 48"x5 yrd lengths 10 yr and expecting more.So i was curious between the two numbers to 3m numbers so i get the equivalent quality or better,I dont want to end up getting lower quality than what im already using..