mazi

Backing adhesion issue with Creative Films?

I work with Oracal 651 on a daily basis and like the designs that creative films offers so I ordered two 1 yd samples to try out. They arrived rolled up inside a tube and while unrolling one of them it released from the backing and left an air gap bubble across the middle of the sheet. I've never had this happen before and it basically ruined the piece. I contacted US Cutter to find out if there were any issues and they said no. They replaced the yd and I ordered another color as well. Same thing happened again... US Cutter hasn't been very responsive to the video of me unrolling it to show what happened and Creative Films won't return my calls since before the holidays. Not sure what I could be doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Material Observations:

US Cutter specs state the material is 1mil I believe. Creative Films had told me it was 2 or 3 mil I can't quite recall. I ordered the diamond plate mini and carbon fiber material and they are VERY thin and almost crunchy like. It seems to crack easily with handling as well. Any experiences with these?

Thanks for your input and help in advance!

I use the Creative Films chrome vinyl with no issues. It is a different material than 651, more stiff because it is a metalized film. Maybe USC is rolling it too tight and cramming it in a small diameter tube. I think you would be happy with the full size roll.

Thanks for replying. I was thinking it could be due to them rolling it too tightly as well.

It might be too metallic and crunchy for my purpose but I haven't found a reasonably priced material with similar patterns in anything softer or thicker yet.

I have a roll of black "carbon fiber" and mini diamond plate vinyl that I purchased from http://foxfiredistributing.com/index.php.

I also have a roll of their silver "oil slick" vinyl and a roll of the fluorescent yellow holographic sequin vinyl, and I've been happy with all of them.

I can't guarantee how long they last, but everything I've made with them has held up for over a year so far...

OWJones thanks for the info! It actually looks like FoxFire is distributing the same brand Creative Films / Grif products and has significantly more designs and colors available.