Sign in to follow this  
JessXEmoji

Cutter Tracking Help

I've been practicing cutting large vinyl designs thats 20" W and 120" Long.  However my SC Cutter will not keep the vinyl straight.  After a few passes from front to rear the vinyl moves over about and inch.   I've tried adjusting the rollers etc...And it'll stay straight for one pass but SCAL likes to cut from front to rear and those extra passes aren't helping me out. 

Is there any tricks I can do for such large designs on the cutter? And is there a cutting software that cuts just from front to rear and not back and forth? thanks.

You may have to keep playing around with the tensioners until the tracking becomes reliable during 10' of vinyl travel.

In answer to your second question, download and install SignBlazer (abandonware, no fees, no registration)

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/190/24198 

Use the cutter driver for LiYu

• Like 1

I believe some software allows you to choose how the vinyl is cut. For example, least amount of movement by rollers or by carriage.

• Like 1

I haven't used the sign blazer but I do use SignCut Pro. It lets you cut from one end to the other in a step-by-step cutting mode. saved my bacon an a few large jobs when i had my P-Cut. they have a 7 day free trial, 

• Like 1

Tried sign blazer but it wont display my ai. files when i import them. Then it crashed when was tinkering with it.

Do the more expensive cutters have a better way of holding the vinyl down? Or do they all use tension rollers?

I wouldnt think about a better cutter if i knew it would solve this issue.

All of the current stuff I'm aware use pinch rollers. I think it was/is Gerber who made tractor feed which uses holes on the side of the vinyl to maintain alignment.

• Like 1

Graphtec  cutters track great,,,  and only use 2 pinch rollers...    I have no problem cutting 16 ft x 28" decals.  (That is the biggest I have ever needed to cut)

Tracking is why I bought a Graphtec.  Tracking is guaranteed 50 ft on my Graphtec.

• Like 1

I might looks into a better cutter. I downloaded the free trial of sign cut pro.  Currently cutting a test job using step by step cutting every 7 inches.  I already like it better than SCAL as cutting options go.   We'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

Just got done and it came out perfect. I also slowed my cutter down slow as possible.   Might have to pay $300 for it. I see flexistarter is also $300.

Better cutters and you can ignore the tracking issues. They go away. That's why I went with Summa (I sound just like Mz SKEETER) Summa is rated the best tracking period and I had suffered enough with the P-Cut that I didn't want to mess with it anymore. They also seem to have less issues with the optical eye for contour cutting than the others but you definitely pay a premium. 

• Like 3

Was having the same issue last night. I tried spreading the rollers evenly across the paper but it was still sliding over a bit. I ended up placing the paper all the way to the left (touching the cutter's side). It helped, only thing is you end up losing some paper because machine wont cut to the end.