Hello everyone

I'm completely new to all of this and have yet to get any type of equipment, but I'm very interested in starting a small business from home. I was wondering if any of you could give me any tips on purchasing a vinyl cutting machine and heat press. keep in mind that I have never used a machine and have only seen a couple of videos on youtube.

thanks any info is great!!!!!

Most of us just jumped in head first. I would look at the buying comparison chart that USCutter has on the main website. It does a pretty good job of explaining the basic rundown of the different cutter models. After you think you want a certain model then do some specific reading about there here on the forum so you know what to expect. Each model comes with it's own set of specific strengths and weaknesses. If you can afford the price of a higher end servo motor machine you will have far less problems. I would suggest a Graphtec although I researched and bought a Summa (which aren't for sale on the site, and actually cost more than the CE Graphtec models). There are a myriad of starter models and they will let you get your feet wet without breaking the bank but I would suggest at least a step up (or two) from the very bottom. 

Heat presses are similar but probably with a lot less quirks overall. 

I was looking at getting the Graphtec CE5000-60. there's a pretty good deal on Craigslist in my city, and I'm thinking that might be the machine for me.do you know if this machine is simple to use?

Great choice and they are all very similar to use. Graphtec has a free cutting utility that will work with most design programs too that you can download from their website. CE-5000 is an older model but with the quality of build it should be a good solid machine. You might see of they can fire it up and run a test cut for you.