MoZo

My first attempt at etching

It is very addictive. .!!.. the only thing that slows me down is I hate masking/taping all the mugs area I don't want blasted .... anyone use a short cut?? I basically use masking tape on the area I don't want blasted ...seem like that's where I waste alot of time ...

• Like 1

It is very addictive. .!!.. the only thing that slows me down is I hate masking/taping all the mugs area I don't want blasted .... anyone use a short cut?? I basically use masking tape on the area I don't want blasted ...seem like that's where I waste alot of time ...

Yes it is addictive and time consuming. I don't push etched items to much cause of the time it takes to do 1 custom order.

• Like 1

Due to my area, I don't get the cost like I should for etching with the time involved. ... usually on about $8.00 a glass ... I want to find a simpler was to mask unwanted area to cut down on that time...

Due to my area, I don't get the cost like I should for etching with the time involved. ... usually on about $8.00 a glass ... I want to find a simpler was to mask unwanted area to cut down on that time...

I use blue painters tape and vinyl drops to cover any parts I don't want etched.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MoZo" data-cid="409040" data-time="1449204240"><p>

I use blue painters tape and vinyl drops to cover any parts I don't want etched.</p></blockquote>

Yep.... that's what I do too.... just seems like that takes so long... always thought about a plastic bag once but not sure if the media would go through it or not :huh:,,,??

I went to Sam's Club and bought the widest house brand Saran Wrap they had.  I will wrap the mug with the plastic wrap, and then use my xacto knife to cut around the vinyl stencil.  I use painters tape around where I cut, to seal any voids.  Just leave yourself a little extra vinyl around the outside edges and it's very quick and easy.  Using the plastic wrap is waaay faster than just using making tape, cheaper too.  

I just use an air eraser, and 180 grit AO, so I don't really need a heavy duty mask.  I also learned to use 631 instead of 651 for the stencil.  Just run it under hot water, and all the vinyl and residue fall right off.  I do a lot of beer mugs, and wine glasses, but my favorite thing to etch is anodized aluminum.  The bare aluminum really pops out nicely.

1st post, so I figure I can at least try to be helpful.

• Like 2

I pulled all glasses due to the time it takes.

Interesting idea using saran wrap, still seems like too much time though.

I just etched a dozen wine glasses this morning for a salon.  It takes longer to position the stencil, and get it on the curved glass right, than masking with the plastic wrap.  I had 8 or so ready to sandblast in the time it took my heat press to get to 320 degrees.

I used rub n buff on them as well.  I got a set of RnB from Amazon a few years ago.  It has 10 or 12 tubes of different colors.  A little bit goes a long way, so I'm set for a long time.  I used silver leaf, gold leaf, and patina (kinda a turquoise bluish green) on these particular glasses.  I've been using rub n buff for a long time, and it holds up great, as long as you don't put them in the dishwasher.   There is also actual metal in it, so I advise customers to not microwave them.  I made this particular salon 4 wine glasses about a year ago, and the "Spanish Gold" I used on them still looks like it did when I made them.  RnB is a good up-sell.  I usually charge 2 or 3 extra dollars for coloring the etch with it, depending on size.

That being said, I love etching.  Probably my favorite use for my vinyl cutter.  

• Like 1

Hope this makes more sense.  This took under a minute to mask.  Also, my RubNBuff collection.

post-96596-0-39081400-1449258899_thumb.j

post-96596-0-82556000-1449258970_thumb.j

• Like 1

has anyone ever tried painting glasses??? i would like to get a small paint gun(like an air eraser) and paint instead of etching...not sure if that's possible or not..?