Sign in to follow this  
Pcrat

just started to get into some glass etching..

ok, so i wanted to do some mugs for myself, I bought a 10oz jug of armour etch cream, some mugs, came out great!!

now i have some friends who want some wine glasses and other glasses , i use my vinyl cutter to cut the stencils, but yea, curves on a wine glass and vinyl dont go togather very well, is there any advice anyone has, maybe different vinyl, like car wrap vinyl and adheres better to curves or how do you guys do it ? dont matter if i use cream or sandblast, curves on a glass and vinyl dont like each other :D

Thanks guys

What type or application tape are you using? I've used Oracal 651 on wine glasses before. Make sure to use paper app tape.

Yep paper app tape, i have a few different types of vinyl, some oracle arlon,

Try to keep the designs smaller so they don't wrinkle as you wrap them around. I found some ornaments at Michaels that are flatter on both sides so there isn't as much contour to deal with.

post-1636-0-10077800-1419695743_thumb.pn

yep exactly,, but i have a wine glass , thats gonna be tough wants a rose, and the vines to wrap around the glass, i might be able to swing it if i keep it smaller like ya said.

• Like 1

Do it in a couple of steps. Put the rose closer to the top of the glass where the curvature is mostly in one direction. then do the vine wrapping with a narrow piece of vinyl that will conform to the curvature.

thats what i was thinking, yea it would be impossible to do the whole thing, as a whole..

i will give that shot on on my glasses first that has close the the same curve... 

When cutting a stencil to wrap around a curved object, cut away as much of outside of the stencil as possible.

You're first thought is going to be to want to cut a stencil like the one in red below, but it will be very difficult to wrap smoothly around a curve.

If instead, you cut a stencil like the blue one, you'll find it's much easier to wrap and then you can cover up any exposed areas with scrap vinyl.   You can also manually cut relief lines wherever this is a large portion of extraneous vinyl and overlap it.

Also, use paper tape and a gentle mist of application fluid to allow you to slide it around a bit - but not too much as it will be difficult to put a lot of squeegee pressure on thin glass.

post-24492-0-55645400-1419705787_thumb.j

• Like 4