Sign in to follow this  
Jburns

Has anyone swapped / replaced a main board?

I may need to replace/ purchase main board for a Vinyl express unit that has a known graphtec equivalent.

. Graphtec parts show as available.

Thank you.

I think I need one for my qe60+. According to the manual it basically reads like you have to recalibrate everything after.

Also if you go with the VE motherboard do you have a source for it? SIgnwarehouse said they wouldn't sell me a board or the arms upgrade unless I paid them to install it.

Well i pick up the cutter friday- and i am going to use the graphtec service manual as a reference. But if i determine its a main board, i am going to Look at the connections, and just buy the graphtec one so i can use the drivers, have more down force etc. My power supply for my FC is the same PN as the VE equvalent. So i will test that first

• Like 1

Mine passed all the sensor tests and that's all I can get out of it so I'm thinking mb is bad on mine. I think Im going to sell it or part it out since without the arms I see no point on putting another mb in it.

Also if you go with the VE motherboard do you have a source for it? SIgnwarehouse said they wouldn't sell me a board or the arms upgrade unless I paid them to install it.

Hi jaybird,

No- I don't have a source for VE mainboard. I am betting that I can place a graphtec MB in there (IF specs match for voltage, connections, etc).  The Graphtec manual is very good explaining replacing parts and making electronic (NOVRAM) and dipswitch adjustments, and mechanical (distance) adjustments. In fact,  I downloaded one also for my FC7000  just to have. 

If I am allowed by moderators, I can post pics and progress on how it goes. OR could be a boat anchor when I am done with it!!   :):)

But I work with electronic laboratory equipment for my day job-  i am somewhat comfortable with replacing parts and using service manuals..this just seems like a fun project if successful 

Please do. I agree the graphtec board should work and please post lot of pictures. If my cutter had the arms installed I'd be more willing to replace the motherboard but without arms I'd rather wait for another cutter to come along.

well this project wont happen. So here was what the person said he had.

1. Vinyl Express Q54-that wasn't working. It was bundled with printers, and he told me he would sell it alone for 200.00. WOW right? 200.00 for a non working equivalent of an FC8000-130.

2. So I drive there, and he has a Q75- BIG difference- older (like FC7000) and much smaller. His listing was completely wrong in more that one place!.- and I wont spend 500.00 for a MB in that cutter. For an actual Q54? yes that is worth the effort.

oh well :)