Sign in to follow this  
jarrotto

First Impressions of Cobra Ink CIS and Epson Artisan 1430 - Sublimation

A few days ago i got our newest piece of equipment set up.

I have read many positive reviews and experiences of customers purchasing from Richard and his team at Cobra Ink. There were a few stories of people having issues with their printers, but not many.

I have to say that i am very impressed with Cobra Ink as a whole so far. The videos are very informative and let you follow along step by step. The kit was packaged very well and arrived completely un-damaged with all of the pieces.

Installation of the CIS was straight forward. I also ordered a waste ink tank kit. This was actually the most difficult item to install. The difficulty came from a very tight metal clip that you re use during installation.

All in all i have to say that i am very satisfied with Cobra Ink so far. The print quality has been fantastic. The fact that they provide ICC color profiles and use high quality materials for their kits is what really separates them from others on the market.

I still have half of all 6 bottles of sublimation ink to add to the CIS. Thats about 2 more ounce per color.

Sorry i don't have any photos of any sublimated products yet, all of our initial stock is sold out and we are waiting on more supplies to come in.

Soon i hope to post updates after attempting out first sublimation shirt!

We are probably going to use the Hanes 4820 as they are a reasonable price from Carolina Made and SanMar.

post-78889-0-29694900-1419361755_thumb.j

post-78889-0-02154400-1419361759_thumb.j

post-78889-0-70973800-1419361761_thumb.j

post-78889-0-83389000-1419361764_thumb.j

Oh and i forgot the other big positive! I really like loading paper in the back of the printer adjusting only one slider for width, vs having to mess with 2-3 sliders loading paper in the Ricoh sg3110dn that fed paper from a tray underneath.

• Like 1

Jarrotto, have you done anything yet. Thanks for the pics. I am ready to order my CISS. for my Epson that is still in the box.

• Like 1

theresat yes, everything has came out awesome. Print quality is great. I'm very pleased so far.

I tried a few of the profiles from cobra till I found the one I liked the best and it's been smooth sailing since.

We simply print a cropped image of a 6 channel purge test pattern to keep the head fresh every 4-5 days.

All the nozzle checks I have printed have came out great, haven't had to run a head cleaning yet.

This is basically what we print. It may be overkill but it has worked fine so far. Ink is so cheap I don't worry about the cost of test prints at all.

post-78889-0-69266900-1420865851_thumb.j

• Like 1

thanks Jarrotto,

i didn't know a waste tank was needed. I suppose after i set up i would find out the hard way. 

No problem, glad to help. The waste tank is not required. I opted for an easy to empty waste tank rather than changing the internal waste pad in a year or two.

• Like 1

Is there anything like the CIS that will allow for unlaminated outdoor decal prints (that last)?

Nope. Outdoor w/o lan is still the realm of solvent, latex, etc. All the big boy toys.

• Like 1

Are there any good resources to find a shop in my area that could print stuff for me as a third party so i could still make profit? Looking for thermal, solvent, latex, etc. I was looking into the CIS from cobra thinking it was something fancy, but it's just a larger ink tank for each color right? I think i'm still going to get it for the marketing materials i print for people.

This is basically what we print. It may be overkill but it has worked fine so far. Ink is so cheap I don't worry about the cost of test prints at all.

Have you tried using the Automator app on the mac. I got mine set up and doing similar to what you do but have it set to do it automatically so I don't forget. 

• Like 1

Have you tried using the Automator app on the mac. I got mine set up and doing similar to what you do but have it set to do it automatically so I don't forget. 

No i haven't used it yet.  That is a great idea to make it even easier!  I haven't used Automator before so it looks like i will need to do a bit of research on it. Thanks for the suggestion Wildgoose.

• Like 1

Are there any good resources to find a shop in my area that could print stuff for me as a third party so i could still make profit? Looking for thermal, solvent, latex, etc. I was looking into the CIS from cobra thinking it was something fancy, but it's just a larger ink tank for each color right? I think i'm still going to get it for the marketing materials i print for people.

Well, technically that is correct... However, it means not having to refill tiny cartridges and/or paying exorbitant prices for original OEM cartridges.  For the cost of 30 mL of OEM ink, you can buy 500 mL of Cobra Ink and get equal quality output.

If you're looking to print vinyl decals that you intend to sell, then you really need to look at a system that is $8000+ (just for the printer + ink + laminator + vinyl + laminate + etc.), or outsource the work to one of the people on this forum.  I have used DakotaGrafx (Scott) on a few occasions and have zero complaints with his work.  He is fast to print, fast to ship and very reasonable prices - low enough that you can sell them and still turn a tidy profit.

• Like 1

I have used a local in my area but there was no kind of wholesale help from him at all to the point that I have already determined that Dakota gets my next job. I would much rather help out someone who has similar interest than a local who just see's me as a threat. Can't blame him for that though because I am a threat but I don't have to help his bottom line if he isn't willing to do the same. Seems silly to be inflexible. I used to do a lot of file conversion for an embroidery shop. Over the years they have done less and less with me because they are able to better keep up in-house. The end result of that arrangement falling apart is I no longer have any qualms about accepting work from their former clients who I would normally have tried not to steal out of respect for them feeding me work. Deals off and now I make more money and they make less. Ha ha! I have three shops in the area that evidently have really poor customer service and I evidently have really good service. What you need a walmart shirt that you will bring by built overnight. Yeah I think I can fit that in. Next time it's 10 and I tell them I can probably save them a little or at least get them better quality shirts at the same price as they are paying and the orders grow and grow.... Ok I'm rambling now...I'll shut up and get back to work.

• Like 3