knucklehead

Solid State Hard Drive??

My hard drive, is now making a little clicking noise occasionally, which we know, leads to a larger clicking noise, a lot. Can you just shove a solid state drive in the place of a regular HD? Are most computers compatable with SSHDs? It's a Dell.

Yes, you can switch to a SSD. Desktop or laptop? Make sure to get the right physical size for either a desktop or laptop. It will cost more per GB than a standard HHD.

you'll have to get a bracket with it to accomodate the smaller drive but yes it will work. Just make sure your current HDD is a SATA drive and you can swap them out relatively easy. If your HDD is IDE you'll need an adapter.

I agree with GO-C wraps.  It would be best to have a decent size SSD for your OS and frequently used apps (photoshop, illustrator, etc.), and have a regular spinning HDD for file storage.

In your first post you mentioned Solid State Drive (SSD) and SSHD.  SSHD is different than a SSD.  A SSHD is a hybrid drive which gives a small performance boost over a plain spinning HDD.  It combines a small amount of flash storage (usually 6-12 gb i think) with a regular spinning HDD.  The SSHD then decides which files you access the most and moves them from the spinning disk to the flash storage.  That is where to the performance boost comes from.  I replaced the standard HDD in a macbook pro with an SSHD and it was a decent improvement.  It definitely was no where near as fast as the retina macbook pro i used to own with all flash storage SSD.

OK, I'm just referring to replacing the spinning hard drive, that's making a clicking noise, with solid state hard drive, in a desktop. Not looking for speed, just want to replace it sooner, rather than after the fact. Been there, done that.

• Like 1

OK, I'm just referring to replacing the spinning hard drive, that's making a clicking noise, with solid state hard drive, in a desktop. Not looking for speed, just want to replace it sooner, rather than after the fact. Been there, done that.

Is it the only HD in your computer?

Go-C SSDs can be used just like normal HDs. The only difference is that SSDs have a limited life span. Data can only be written to them x number of times. Now granted that number is pretty high and unlikely a typical user will ever hit the limit, but it is a fact of all solid state devices.