Sign in to follow this  
Silverdirt

Mh-871 mk2 freezing midjob?

Ok, so i have a MH-871 mk2 and im using SCALP4 on windows 7. the cutter keeps locking up in almost the same point on a job. im using a usb connection, and have ordered a serial converter, to see if that helps and have triple checked my grounding and my power supply. It is a bigger job and ive done bigger jobs in the past without problem.  in the mean time is there anything else i can check? maybe something simple im overlooking?  have i outgrown my MH's memory?  im stumped, please any suggestions would be appreciated. 

from  UScutter support   http://www.uscuttersupport.com/kbpage.php

Cutter Stopped Cutting

There are a few possible answers for this question 1.) Static Electrical Interference; 2.) Com port settings not correct  and/or 3.) Memory overload. 

1.) - Static interference can cause your cutter to fail on longer cuts and can potentially cause your motherboard to fail. You'll know static is interfering with your cutter by performing this simple test: Disconnect the cutter from the PC and turn it off for 20 seconds, then reconnect and power on. Remove the vinyl and blade holder from the machine and run a cut job that would typically fail, using only your pen and some paper (or just the vinyl backing). If it completes, run it 2 or 3 more times. Did it fail? If yes, probably not static. Finally, (still w/no blade) run the same job the same way WITH the vinyl. Does it fail? If yes,  Static.

Vinyl is an insulator which is negatively charged; this is where the problem begins. During the process of simply un-rolling, your vinyl gets a strong negative charge. Because it's an insulator you cant simply wipe off the charge (as with anti-static wipes) unless you cut the sheet from the roll. The other point where this is an issue is when the media feeds out of the machine and lays on the floor (ESPECIALLY CARPET!) and then the cutter rolls it back in. Again the peeling away motion creates more static. Grounding the cutter ( or "bonding" to be precise) is your best option for helping to discharge the static that has built up on the cutter. Grounding can be done by running a copper wire/speaker wire from a screw on the base of the cutter to a point on the stand. Contact points should be metal on metal, which might require you to scrape away some paint. You can also try a humidifier to dampen the amount of environmental Static Electricity in the immediate area. The only real solutions: A) Ground the machine.  B.) Get antistatic spray. You can find it at most computer or electronics stores or by simply doing a Bing search. 

2.) Note: This only applies to cutters that DO NOT install as printers, ie: Creation, Refine, Copam etc.
 When you plug your cutter into your computer, the computer gives it a Com port number (if you're using a Windows operating system.) That Com port also has specific settings. Both the Com port and com port settings need to be correct and match in your cutting software and the computer's Device Manager. Open your computer's device manager and locate the "Ports" listing. If you have the cutter connected to the computer via USB and turned on you should see a listing something to the effect of "USB serial port (com3)". You can know for sure which USB com port the computer has assigned to the cutter by disconnecting it from the computer. The com port will disappear. Plug it back in and you'll see the com port reappear. Right click on that com port and select "Properties", then "Port Settings". The values should be 9600,8,None,1, Hardware, and should also be reflected in your Cutting software setup. Once you have verified that these are correct in the Device Manager, you can also click on "advanced settings" (depending on your O/S) and check the box to enable serial printing. This will give the cutter more time to process data that the computer is sending it.

3.) -  The processor on the MH cutters specifically were not designed to effectively handle the data required for cuts beyond 72 inches in length. Additionally, the onboard memory on an MH Cutter is only 8 megabits. This is a very miniscule amount and can be easily overloaded by a large image file. The only real solution is to upgrade the memory by purchasing a 4 megabyte chip from UScutter.com
  • Like 1

ive read every thread that i found before i posted. they said go serial cable and not a one them reported back if it actually solved the problem, mine is in mail, i guess ill sit back and hope that solves my issue then.

ive read every thread that i found before i posted. they said go serial cable and not a one them reported back if it actually solved the problem, mine is in mail, i guess ill sit back and hope that solves my issue then.

I hope you bought a Tripp Lite Keyspan Adapter  or a Belkin...  Those are the only recommended by tech support to work.

If you search Keyspan Adapter, on here,  you will see that it made many people happy.  

Some people have had to use Static Guard also, spray in the air.  wipe vinyl  and vinyl cutter with with dryer sheets.. Static is bad in winter. Run a humidifier.

Look for stray nodes or open paths in your design also.

If you have a pen, see if the job will finish on paper.  you can even use the back of the vinyl to write on.

Maybe even try a different software.  Signblazer is FREE and can be downloaded.

yes i bought the keyspan, and i use static guard. Every time i run this particular job (i have now switched to my pen to save vinyl) it stops at almost the exact same spot so that makes me think its a memory issue.  I can still cut other stuff with no problems still. 

no this design has never been successfully cut. its a fairly basic one, just big for my machine. worst case scenario i might have to tile it? Zoomed in tight and everything looks good...

Could be too big for the small memory in the mh series - some have had better luck with the serial port controlling the output to the cutter  . . . 

I completely abandoned USB with the MH unit and went with the (null modem) serial cable that was included with the cutter, never had an issue afterwards.

I completely abandoned USB with the MH unit and went with the (null modem) serial cable that was included with the cutter, never had an issue afterwards.

thanks i hope it solves my issue. will the usb/serial adapter be ok? or should i install a serial board on my desktop?

You could try playing with the (communication) baud rate, as well. Have read a few cases where it solved similar problems.

scarekrow is correct on the baud rate...  According to UScutter set up.  The baud rate is supposed to be 4800....on the MH  mk2..  Is that what you have?

I have read where a deviation from the 'official' posted rate can correct it as well.

When I first set up my Lylu TC a few years ago, had a problem till I read and opened it up to 57600.

Took care of the issue

I would try it both slower and faster and see if there's any change.

ok the holiday madness is behind me and i can get back to work on cutting vinyl again. install the keyspan, send the quick job to the cutter and freaks out and just does a "test" over and over. try again and it wont comunicate with computer at all anymore.  ive covered my bases with all the basics drivers, static, grounding etc.   

Have you tried a different computer?   Do you have a friend with a desktop with a serial port?  Different cutting software?  Different file?  Have you had tech support remote your computer for problems?

Post the file to look at.

I was having a very similar issue and just wanted to make a quick post to let anybody else having this issue know what worked for me.

While making a fairly large sign (about 100 inches long), my MH-871 MK2 kept freezing in the same place.  I narrowed it down to static because the cutter would cut just fine with no vinyl running through it, but hang up every time with vinyl in it.  I was cutting on carpet using a USB connection and did not have a static wire-rope thing.

I was able to get one piece to cut by using a homemade grounding wire draped across the vinyl and by having a person on both the in-feed side and out-feed side holding the vinyl off the floor.

Things that didn't seem to help:  homemade static wire.  Placing ceramic tile over the carpet so the vinyl avoided contact with the carpet.

Final solution(s):  

1.  I installed the USCutter ground strap, rope thing.  http://www.uscutter.com/Anti-Static-Kit-for-Vinyl-Cutters

2. I installed a serial card in my computer and ran a 25 foot serial cord to another room with a tile floor.

Since those upgrades, the cutter works great, every time.

If you have further static problems I had good luck with using static cling spray like women use for clothing. Cheap and more effective than the ground wires IMO. I would hose down the area around the cutter before large cuts. It's also like you found, helpful to keep the vinyl up off the floor especially carpet. Been there and done that too.

I have since upgraded to a higher end cutter and they don't have those issues so there is a white light at the end of the tunnel if you ever decide to upgrade you can finally be done with all that BS. 

14 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

I have since upgraded to a higher end cutter and they don't have those issues so there is a white light at the end of the tunnel if you ever decide to upgrade you can finally be done with all that BS. 

What 'kit' are you rockin now Wild?

I bought a Summa a few years back and all my problems went away. And that's not a joke, brag or BS. End of issues. I have loaded up a 50 yard roll of HTV and set it to cutting hundreds of copies and went to bed. 

• Like 2