Sign in to follow this  
eddieb378

Glitter questions

Do you guys that do glitter vinyl do you over lay it? I have done some glitter but I have never over layed it. Is it ok to to just lay it on top of each other or do I need to do like punch through so it's not vinyl on top of vinyl

Avoid layering glitter vinyl. It will not adhere correctly to the other layers. If you have to use multiple colors you will need to punch through.

No, I do not but there are some Mfgs. that say you can, but I have not tried them. I think Monkey Grip is one. I always punch it thru.

Hope this helps.

We use Siser glitter, layer all the time. Glitter over glitter, glitter over siser extra, never had a problem... YET. 

• Like 1

If you are using the actual Glitter form sister and not the other glitter-like options I wouldn't layer it. That stuff is gnarly glittered and I can't believe that it would hold together layered for very long. I know they have the video flex glitter that looks like you might be fine layered but the real stuff is like 80 grit sandpaper. 

• Like 1

The Siser Glitter does not hold up when layered. I have tested it and you can easily peel it off the bottom layer. I would not be comfortable giving that to a customer.

From Siser's website:

"Can be used as a top layer on other materials  •  Not recommended to be layered on top of itself"

http://www.siserna.com/glitter

VideoFlex Glitter, on the other hand, can be layered.

I too will layer glitter over regular vinyl....no problems yet.  The manufacture says not to layer glitter on glitter and it makes sense to me so I don't do it.

In your case it has held up, but it is probably best for most users not to risk it. The manufacturer obviously has a reason in recommending not to layer it. If they felt it was a non-issue they would be foolish to intentionally restrict usage of their product.

At the very least I would have the customers sign a release stating you will not warranty the product if they insist on layering glitter over glitter.

Easy, is that Siser or Specialty materials, because  that silver looks pretty translucent to me I can see the red and the silver behind it. I cut a lot of glitter and it just seems easier and safest to just punch it out trim, (what ever term you would like to use) to do it and don't look back or worry, unless it is a small piece like you have there.

Siser glitter. I've noticed it has a translucent look on other items we've pressed. I put done white glitter over pink and black chevron, you could see the black through it v