GraphxNMore

Ok you clipping mask experts......

Here's my dilemma..... I want to make a mask of the hog to be inside the black part of the "S" as shown in the other image. My problem is I can't the rest of the "S", everything that is black in the logo, to be the color of the hog. The final image will be the black part of the logo with the face of the hog surrounded by fill color, with a white shadow layer. I can handle the layering if I could get the mask filled. 

post-37957-0-76955300-1418751514_thumb.j

post-37957-0-77282000-1418751546_thumb.p

post-37957-0-80943300-1418751559_thumb.j

It looks to me that the hog is too small to take up the entire S and the "diamond" shape. The only way it looks like you can do that is to enlarge the hog so that he is larger than the diamond. Once you do that you will need a copy of the diamond shape behind the "s" for the fill color. 

I'd duplicate the S logo, remove the red, change the black to the color you want then put it under the masked hog.

Something like this? I find it easier to use Photoshop for stuff like that.

post-6882-0-90177600-1418754608_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Yes, I have it now, I just can't clip it. It looks perfect, but when I open it with cut software, the complete face is still there in the background. When I make clipping mask, I end up with one very small portion of his left ear.......

post-37957-0-82406300-1418762403_thumb.ppost-37957-0-91182800-1418762396_thumb.j

Yes, I have it now, I just can't clip it. It looks perfect, but when I open it with cut software, the complete face is still there in the background. When I make clipping mask, I end up with one very small portion of his left ear.......

attachicon.gifpoomba4.pngattachicon.gifpoomba3.jpg

Yes the clipping mask will only "mask" the logo. If you want to cut it you will need to contour cut (print and cut) or break the image up using your pathfinder tool in illustrator. I have lots of experience breaking the image down if you have questions or need help.

post-43059-0-55400600-1418770396_thumb.p

SuperPoomba_02b.svg

SuperPoomba_02b.eps

There is an extra (yellow) layer in there for the inner s-man emblem

in case you wanted it for a pattern as well as a layer with the whites of the eyes and the tusks.

For a cut file, no clipping masks are needed.

Still not real sure as to what exactly you are after, easy.

Like Moody said clipping is for print only. If it's a vector path already you might be able to expand appearance but I can't remember if that will work or not. I rarely mess with clips unless printing something, there are just too many better ways to get there. I would use minus front, trim or divide from the pathfinder tools and see what they turn out (assuming all the elements are already vectored). Just remember any complex design will need to be converted to a compound path for AI to work with it properly and most times if it has any outlaying pieces AI will leave it back in a group form after each operation so you have to convert it each time, one of those weird quirks you have to watch for or you'll do a minus front and almost everything will disappear and then your like WTF! Thank goodness for the undo button!