Sign in to follow this  
fustratedinhawaii

Bridge Cutting Plotter (new to me) HELP

OMG!!! Just spent the last hour reading all those posts from the SignBlazer Elements page under the Software Section...yeesh...last thing I want to do is get MAJORLY stuck getting screwed up in that mess :( I wonder if GC Extreme got his running??!!!

I'll play around with Inkscape and the Graphtec Studio a little more and see if I can make it work...or try out the CadworxLive program. I see lots of people using SignBlazer, but don't want to cause too much grief to you guys to help me make it work :wacko:

So....I got talked into getting the Duracal vinyl instead of the Oracal 751. Doesn't seem so bad (not like I had anything to compare it to), but the DURAPRO medium tack transfer tape (looks like masking tape) pretty much sucks...A few seconds after I applied it with the squeegee pretty hard, the end starts lifting up. I just took some scotch tape and held it on both ends. Next time, R-tape or that stuff SKEETER is using now :(

post-89478-0-89303100-1430202092_thumb.j

post-89478-0-66656100-1430202115_thumb.j

Skeeter tapes the ends. rtape 4076 RLA is what you're after if you don't want to tape the ends. The rla is release liner adhesive made specifically to stick to the white backing.

• Like 1

What Jaybird said. 

For stuff you are going to be applying it's no biggie because it's still stuck to what matters but for retail sales they are going to be happier with the tape stuck down. 

I used that R-tape  4050 RLA.  it never stayed down either to the backing. .... Plus I ship all of my items,and many are rolled up. , So YES,  I still used cello tape to tape all  of my ends down.  Never a complaint...

Bert,

I'm not totally up on the Graphtec but I thought you can draw in Inkscape then save as an EPS and open it in Cutting Master (cutting master 2 or 3 not sure which) to cut it. (I had thought there was a plug-in specifically for Inkscape but it looks like only Adobe and Corel).  I see you are using Graphtec Studio which I haven't heard of before. I think Cutting Master is free to use but is proprietary for the Graphtec meaning that no other cutters will run on it. You might do a little experimenting that direction to get running with Inkscape. 

Another option might be downloading the Adobe CS2 that you can get for nothing and use the appropriate Plug-in from Cutting Master for it. CS2 is a little less fun to use than the newer versions but still a decent program. (Adobe is pretty tough form beginners to learn but it's all new to you so it may not be that big a deal)

Well, opened up Inkscape and tried to save a photo I took in .eps and then tried to open it up in Graphtec Studio and it didn't recognize it. Looks like something I'll have to figure out or call Graphtec tomorrow about it and see what can or can not be done. Got a BUNCH of things to do today and tonight. It'll be the first time in over a month where I don't have 4-6 hours to play with it :'( lol....

It's been many many many many years where there was something like this that interested me so much, that I don't mind spending the time to do the research though...But you guys play a HUMONGOUS part of me sticking with this though...and I want to THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do know you can't just cut pictures right? They are raster based and cutters require vector based images. Somebody else posted a link to a tutorial but I don't remember where.

No, I know that....I don't know all the details about raster based and vector files, still learning that...but I just wanted to see if I can save a picture in .eps and see if Graphtec studio could open it. Or am I still screwing up thinking that way? Plus, if anyone could find that tutorial, that would probably help me out a lot...

Thanks Jay :)

You'd be shocked at how many don't know you can't cut a picture when they start out.

Just draw a square or something simple to test with that you will then be assured is a vector. A pic might come through but if it does it will just be the outline of the picture. Are you using Cutting Master or Graphtec Studio? Because I dob't think they are the same thing. I'm just throwing things out there because I don't have a Graphtec or either of those programs. I'll shut up now. 

• Like 1

If you go to the Graphtec America site,  You can also download Cutting Master 2 and 3.  If you use Illustrator or Corel.

• Like 1

So Skeeter are they just plug-ins? That would make sense I guess. I read on another forum that the basic version of Graphtec Studio may not import other file formats. It's that old story with the hook and the worm. 

Yes, they are plug ins...I looked at Cutting Master 2 before,  it is even more basic software than Flexistarter...  I like Flexistarter so much better.

Yes, they are plug ins...I looked at Cutting Master 2 before,  it is even more basic software than Flexistarter...  I like Flexistarter so much better.

I was an AI guy before I even got a cutter so I have just needed a good cutting utility and SignCut has been my favorite for strict cutting. I think some is what you get used to. 

• Like 1

My wife works part time for University of Phoenix. I thought I could get AI REALLY cheap at her price. $30 monthly, not the one time CD's like before, they don't even OFFER the older versions of AI    :angry:

Wild Goose was right :(

You can find pretty good prices on eBay sometimes for CS5 or CS6. They are functionally about the same between the two. CS5 is supposed to trace simple images a little better and CS6 high res multi-color images better. The CC version is probably pretty sweet. I haven't allowed myself the luxury of trying it out because I don't want a payment. I have several plug-ins for SC5 that make my life pretty easy and I'm not 100% that they would transfer up to a newer version. If you want to give adobe a whirl you might try out the CS2 Link. 

https://helpx.adobe....downloads.html#

It is designed for people who have the older (now unsupported) version. There are links in there to download the whole suite or whatever part you want (I only downloaded AI and PS) and a generic serial number. You have to open an Adobe account if you don't already have one. (free)

You may have to run the program in compatibility mode if your computer doesn't automatically deal with the fact that it was written for older operating system. I have it running on windows 7 without too much problem. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to download Cutting Master 2 off the Graphtec website, but all I can find is Cutting Master 3. I got an OLD version of AI (CS2) from my friend and he suggested CM2 might work better since the AI CS2 is such an old version, but what...are they no longer offering CM2 now??

**(the cd's that came with my cutter only has Cutting Master 3 on it).

Here is the page I was looking at:

http://www.graphtecamerica.com/graphtec-america-support-downloads-cutting-plotters-ce6000-series

If you go into the CE5000 downloads it's there. You better talk to support about it to make sure it will run your newer cutter. 

Ok, I found it, thanks...but it says: On driver and software, the file is compressed in the ZIP format. It is required to decompress before use.

Damn...does that mean I have to buy WINZIP for it??!!

Doesn't you computer have an EXTRACT?  If not many FREE sites to extract...  You don't need to buy anything.

New computer...I don't even know how to LOOK for "extract". Can you give me a reputable link to download that on ?

I"ll download the link 1st and see if my computer can't open it up like you said it might....