Sign in to follow this  
fustratedinhawaii

Bridge Cutting Plotter (new to me) HELP

Thanks Wild Goose :) !!! I spent a few hours, up to 3:30am last night looking at youtube and other reviews. Seems like I need $900 - $1,200 for a good heat press. Ok, I think I'll wait on the t-shirts until I make money with the vinyl stickers first.

For now, I'll just concentrate on the vinyl stickers and how to use the software programs.

Oh, btw, I asked my wife and she DOES have a 22"x35" OLFA cutting mat :) !!!!!!!!!!!!

So...I think I'll order the

1) US CUTTER Laser Point II (only because I like the countour feature the SC doesn't have)

2) Hi-tack paper transfer tape

3) 3M squeegees

4) Glossy Black Vinyl

Wild Goose, you mentioned earlier, that the LP2 has limitations if I want to go real small, but if my friend's Cricut machine can do what I want for now, wouldn't the LP2 be even better for that??

I want to start by doing fish vinyl stickers that are 3" long with a lot of detail in them. Appreciate your advice (although I'm little leary, 'cause your signature DOES scare me ;) !!!!).

OUCH!!!! JUST FOUND OUT THE SHIPPING FOR THE LP2 WILL COST ME $350 :wacko::'( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Know of any coupons available??!!!!!

Thanks Wild Goose :) !!! I spent a few hours, up to 3:30am last night looking at youtube and other reviews. Seems like I need $900 - $1,200 for a good heat press. Ok, I think I'll wait on the t-shirts until I make money with the vinyl stickers first.

For now, I'll just concentrate on the vinyl stickers and how to use the software programs.

Oh, btw, I asked my wife and she DOES have a 22"x35" OLFA cutting mat :) !!!!!!!!!!!!

So...I think I'll order the

1) US CUTTER Laser Point II (only because I like the countour feature the SC doesn't have)

2) Hi-tack paper transfer tape

3) 3M squeegees

4) Glossy Black Vinyl

Wild Goose, you mentioned earlier, that the LP2 has limitations if I want to go real small, but if my friend's Cricut machine can do what I want for now, wouldn't the LP2 be even better for that??

I want to start by doing fish vinyl stickers that are 3" long with a lot of detail in them. Appreciate your advice (although I'm little leary, 'cause your signature DOES scare me ;) !!!!).

OUCH!!!! JUST FOUND OUT THE SHIPPING FOR THE LP2 WILL COST ME $350 :wacko::'( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Know of any coupons available??!!!!!

Ouch is right! I guess that's the trade-off to living in a virtual paradise huh? I would be surprised if the LP2 can't do better than a Cricut. You will have to dial in the thing to get there but You'll either figure it out or change your design ideas into things that are more cutter friendly. I can tell you that if you can figure out the heat press you will probably make more money with shirts than decals. 

This is the one (new design but same overall) that I ran. It's a decent machine for starting out with. Clams are cheaper but less versatile and tend to clamp on the back more than the front. 

http://www.uscutter.com/15-x-15-Digital-Swing-arm-Heat-Press

Good luck on your endeavor! 

Thanks for the link WG, I JUST checked out the shipping cost for that heat press: $300 :'(

LP2   =   $400

Shipping = $350

Heat Press = $260

Shipping = $300

Total: $1,350 :blink:

No money to buy any vinyl...d@mn....

Well, I'll get the 4 items listed for now...again, much Mahalos Wild Goose :) !!!!

OH WTH??!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS SKEETER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I'm freaking out.....Looking at the shipping, it said $179 to "United States" (I entered my zip, price didn't change).

Then I checked out US CUTTER:

1) The LaserPoint II 25" is $559 (with $100 stand and extra 1 year warranty = Total 2 year warranty)

2) The LaserPoint II 31.5: is $659 (with $200 stand and extra 1 year warranty = Total 2 year warranty) Why is the stand $100 MORE :huh:? :huh:?

3) Shipping for the 25" is $350 and SHIPPING FOR THE 31.5" is only $216 :huh:!!!!! WHY IS THE BIGGER ONE CHEAPER TO SHIP??!!

**US CUTTER through eBay ONLY offers the normal 1 year warranty, but no option to buy the EXTRA year  :'( 

TOTAL FOR THE 31.5" (with shipping) is: $875

eBay:

1) LaserPoint II 31.5" is $450

2) Shipping $179

TOTAL (with shipping) is $629  **bummed that I can't buy an extra warranty :'(

THAT MAKES IT $246 CHEAPER ON eBay!!!!!!!!!!!!  (I've looke on eBay from time to time, never registered or bought anything, and I don't have PayPal)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, my main concern is the warranty, in case something should break down.

So...what do I do??!!! Call US CUTTER and ask them if I can get 2 years warranty if I buy it from eBay? AND get the same shipping price??!!!

D@MN......what the heck do I do :( !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok..I'll stop ranting :(

Thanks again Skeeter :)

******Ugh oh...on eBay, I just typed in the search bar: "Vinyl Cutter". 3rd one down, they have for $549.99, the LaserPoint II with a HUGE package included (see description). Shipping was $239

TOTAL: $778 (but still no 2 year warranty)

PLEASE look at the description of what comes with the package and tell me if this is a great deal. I don't know about the Green Star vinyl if it's as good as the Oracle that everyone likes....

what the HECK DO I DO NOW :wacko: !!!!!!!!

As for the warranty they will basically send you parts which in reality aren't that expensive anyways and if you have to send it back I believe you pay 2 way shipping which is about the same as buying another new machine anyways. I just shipped a dozen shirts to Hawaii and I checked before the shipping before production because it was an ebay listing and I had lower 48 only listed but I managed to stuff them in a flat rate box so all was good. In the end if it hasn't broke in the first year it'll probably last many years.

• Like 1

Your welcome,,   You can decide what is best for you.. 

I know of someone else that has 48 states checked, and It was a Canada person that bought,  This seller called EBAY,,about it, and Ebay said, what some people do is change their address, before they buy, so that the transaction will go through..THen put their real address on the Details page, before they get to Paypal. .But in the end,  you do not have to accept a transaction that is out side of your selling area .Preferences.   You can just cancel it...  EBAY checked the sellers sites and saw nothing wrong with their 48 States, and no International shipping.

You can go to you EBAY account and check site preferences, and your shipping and make sure it is correct, and that you don't have Global Shipping checked... There is a place called  Buyer Requirements Activity Log, that shows if someone tried to purchase from out side of your preferences.

So as far as the eBay's "WHOLE PACKAGE" thing is concerned, I'm assuming that IS the best to get? Sorry if I"m running around in circles, but I REALLY can't afford to make a mistake! Ran out of stuff to sell to get me this money and I REALLY need to know if I buy the package deal, it'll be fine.

Thanks everyone....

FH

I would purchase Oracal vinyl to sell. If you don't already have some.

Probably sign supply shops there to get materials to save on shipping costs.

Ok, I've been reading more on the forum the past few days and saw a guy (sorry, forgot to save where it was from) and he posted pictures of some detailed work he did with his SC cutter. BUT: in the beginning, that's all I'll be doing. I'm thinking I'll have to sell more stuff and save up form a Graphtec cutter. I want to post a pic here from my computer, but can't find the button here to upload a link without the URL. I tried several searches, but couldn't find it :(

HELP??!!!

FH

THANKS MZ SKEETER :) !!!!!

Ok, so these are 3" stickers, which I'll be doing the most of for now...I think it may be TOO much detail for the SC, ESPECIALLY for the Wahoo (middle picture) around the mouth and the gill plate area.

FEEDBACK PLEASE :) !!!!!!!!

post-89478-0-68448500-1428017504_thumb.j

I don't own a sc but I have seen them cut more detailed than that.

The line for the Wahoo's mouth is like 1/32 and the gill plate area is like 1/64th of an inch!! Well, the gill plate lines are the about the same thickness as the 1/16" mark (line) on my tape measure...

The line for the Wahoo's mouth is like 1/32 and the gill plate area is like 1/64th of an inch!! Well, the gill plate lines are the about the same thickness as the 1/16" mark on my tape measure...

By making those decals so small and thin lines,,,,Your going to run into not enough area to stick.  They may very easily peel off.

You may need to rethink those decals

Cutting is less a problem than actually getting the vinyl to adhere. No surface area = no adhesive to hold it in place. But that is extremely thin

Believe me, I TOTALLY understand at your concern and warning about the surface area. But the custom fishing gaffs I make have 1 layer of resin on them, then I put the sticker on (which seems to adhere very well, but then I put 3 more coats of resin over the sticker. Also, my friends have been sticking these same stickers to their car windows and over a year, they still look good with no peeling. So far, we've been getting them from a local dealer, but want to do my own now. I'm just wondering if the SC Series will cut it well as this and consistently, or do I really HAVE to (or really should)  get the Graphtec CE6000.

Thanks very much for your input...MORE MORE MORE ;) !!!!!!!!

Get the graphtec and be done with it. I have to rebranded graphtecs a ce-5000 and a fc-7000 and I wouldn't downgrade for anything although the lower end cutters can do what you need the consistently part is questionable.

• Like 2

Jaybird, Dakota, Wild Goose, MzSkeeter, Halpain, Slice & Dice, JAY2703 and all you others, this will be that last time I ask for help on which cutter I should get. I went to our BIGGEST Ocean Festival EXPO (small compared to YOUR standards), and I saw the guy that I buy my small fish stickers (page 2 towards the end) is using a "Vinyl Expression Q24" cutter.

I would like to know if anyone used this one AND used a Graphtec 6000-60, which one is better?

Thanks, and I PROMISE this will be the last time I ask about which cutter to buy :-\

FH

Jaybird, Dakota, Wild Goose, MzSkeeter, Halpain, Slice & Dice, JAY2703 and all you others, this will be that last time I ask for help on which cutter I should get. I went to our BIGGEST Ocean Festival EXPO (small compared to YOUR standards), and I saw the guy that I buy my small fish stickers (page 2 towards the end) is using a "Vinyl Expression Q24" cutter.

I would like to know if anyone used this one AND used a Graphtec 6000-60, which one is better?

Thanks, and I PROMISE this will be the last time I ask about which cutter to buy :-\

FH

the q series is the rebranded graphtec fc series  - the qe is the rebranded ce series - I know that jaybird runs rebranded graphtec, skeeter and I run graphtecs, goose I think is a summa fan, - looking like the graphtec fans are the majority and most of the long term users I know by far prefer the graphtec (or rebranded ones) over every other brand by several times over the others)   so in short my answer is the rebranded graphtec is a great choice

So..."rebranded" just means the same machine but rebranded just because someone else is selling it and they wanted to call it something else?

Do they make the software proprietary or something so that you can only use THEIR STUFF?? :(

IMO as long as you are a windows PC man then the rebranded makes monetary sense. It sounds like they are not mac friendly.  I was...this close... to buying am FC8000-75 when I stumbled upon the Summa name over in the big sign forum. They are a little less known in the states and they sell direct so there are no real actual dealers or at least you can't get any better pricing buying through anyone. I would probably say go with either of the Graphtec options as all the reading I do I have yet to hear a bad word from anyone friend or foe about them and they have absolutely the most likelihood of finding parts or supplies easily not that it sounds like they need them very often. Rebranded means that for the most part they are the same thing with a different logo stuck on them. Possibly with a different proprietary motherboard or something internal but it sounds to me like those who run them love them just as much as the actual name brand and saved a few bucks. At least you are thorough and not an impulse buyer huh Bert? 

• Like 1

If you only knew.... :rolleyes:

Been that way all my life, time to do the wise thing and take my time spending this much money :(

1)The q series boasts 400g of force, while the ce says they have 300g of force. I've been looking at so much videos but haven't had enough time do research sandblasting.

Will the extra 100g's of force be THAT much helpful for other media besides sandblasting masks? (I don't know what mm material is good to sandblast with....

2) Is there ANY OTHER differences that is a BIG plus besides the force?

the rebranded ones use a special mb as goose stated, they only run with drivers for that cutter and not the graphtec.  as long as you are using software that has the drivers for those machines that is no problem and the sw version of flexi they offer with them is the cheapest way to legally own flexi pro.    as far as the mask - I have used a ce to cut pretty thick mask used for rhinestones without a problem at all - unless you are doing things like cemetary monuments using a screw type compressor to drive a large gun I don't think you will have a problem but if you are doing something very hard and deep like granite them maybe it will be more important.  most of us on here do glass, plastic, wood, light metal engraving and most of the time use scrap vinyl for mask anyways.  so depends on your needs.  on the metal we had someone on here and vf a while back that used vinyl to mask then did a solution with something like caustic pipe cleaner and batteries to electro etc metals that was pretty cool