Sign in to follow this  
fustratedinhawaii

Bridge Cutting Plotter (new to me) HELP

Aloha Everyone,

Came for help. I spent a lot of hours looking for the right help, but can't find it, so I succumb to join this forum so I can post and ask the stupid question: How do I make this machine work properly?

This is the computer I am using that has Windows 8 on it:

*note: there is no serial or parallel port on this machine, only usb

ASUS ALL-IN-ONE PC SERIES

Processor: Intel ® Core 13-3220 CPU @3.30 GHz 3.30 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB (5.89GB useable)

System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch input is available for this Display

I'm on a kayak forum like this one, so I know when newbies come and ask the same old question that has been answered a thousand times, it gets frustrating for the "old timers". After a lot of hours though, I thought it was time to give it up (register so I can post) as I have 3 part time jobs and don't have 30 more hours to try different "search words or phrases"....Maybe you can send me a link I might have missed or just tell me step by step? Ok now....CAN ANYONE BE MY MENTOR??? I have a brand new (to me) Bridge Cutting Plotter PRO365/720/870/1100/1350 (says on the front page of the instruction manual, but I don't know which one exactly I have. The sticky label came off the machine, though the serial number is: 4078 on the silver label. What I think I need to ask though, is since I think this is a 2005/2006 machine, I think I have to use CorelDraw, but what version? I'm assuming that since this is an older machine, it won't work with a newer version of CorelDraw. I have a friend with an older model Cricut try to help me, but the installation disks didn't work and also, we can't read Chinese. Instruction manual was pretty confusing for me also (at least for us). My All-in-one computer doesn't have a serial or parallel port, only usb (which in the manual, this is the LEAST favorable way to go) :(  The installation disks didn't seem to work as far as the drivers I need for it, or at least if there WERE drivers for it, it didn't work (and then it's proprietary, so after the 2 month eval period, I'd STILL be screwed). To figure out which model I have, the built-in ruler goes from 0-28 inches, but the plotting pen starts at 3 inches, so I'm assuming it's actually a 25 inch cutter/plotter? Does this make it a PRO720 or a PRO870 ?? I got this machine from a girl that bought it brand new some years ago, took it out of the box, and never touched it after that.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

FH (Frustrated in Hawaii)

p.s. On my friend's Cricut, he got an older version, so he tried Inkscape, and he said it was nasty, the graphics and came out really bad and fuzzy when he uploaded images. He found "sure cuts a lot" and it works AWESOME!! SUPER user friendly, etc. but he looked it up and it doesn't work for my machine :(

Is this picture like the back of your computer? if it is, you may have a serial port (#4). If not, you can get a Keyspan Adapter that plugs into your USB port then into the Serial port on the cutter.

post-1636-0-11882300-1418739057_thumb.pn

FH, You may be surprised at the newbie tolerance on this forum. Very little flaming. I had to laugh at your comment "...and also, we can't read Chinese." Ha ha! I hear ya!  Some of those instruction manuals are pretty amazing all in themselves. We call it Engrish around here. LOL!  I don't have a lot of knowledge about your issues but there are several on the forum that are pretty handy so I'm sure they will have some excellent advice. We may or may not get you up and running but at least you've fallen in good company. Aloha and E komo mai. (not sure if I said that correctly but anyway welcome to the forum from Idaho) I have a nephew living out there on one of the islands (I think Oʻahu). Also have some great friends the Vasi family that are from your direction too.

• Like 1

Jay2703, No, it doesn't look like that :( When I can find an image later tonight, I'll post it up.

Dakota,

1) I went through that link/tutorial, and got confused at a lot of it. Maybe it's me (NO...REALLY?:huh:???) or since my disks don't seem to work, that's why it makes it that much harder for me to do what the tutorial says. Is there an aftermarket version of some cd that will work with this cutter/plotter? What would REALLY be awesome, is that I can track my progress from 0-infinity, and help new users with newer computers with old machines like mines....

2) Having an older cutter/plotter like mines (I think it's about 2005/2006), which version of CorelDraw should I use? I see that USCutter has "Sure-Cuts-A-Lot" with their cutter/plotters that my friend uses on his Cricut that works so d@mn well....

3) Wild Goose, I made that "Chinese Comment" because the manual is written by some Chinese guy that doesn't know how to write a manual very well. Pics and all the cd's we put in were in Chinese. Not to mention my last name is Wong, but I don't know any Chinese, except "2hunglow" ;) As far as the Aloha and E Komo Mai, pretty good there buddy :) Your nephew, friends and family are military or civilian? Vasi family living on "my side". Just FYI, I live in Kaneohe, by Windward Mall on Oahu.

Thanks everyone,

Aloha

Aloha.

Over the years, many people have found great success with using SignBlazer software to get their various cutters to work.

The reason is the author of that software, Jerry Bonham (since deceased) understood cutter driver programming, and basically included about every type of machine he could find into the cutting drivers portion of the application.

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/190/24198

Download and install it, and try the Generic DMPL  (the bridgecutter website says use Refine MH721 DMPL)

If that doesn't work, you might have to play around by choosing other drivers (RedSail perhaps) until one gets the cutter to operate.

• Like 1

Thanks Slice,

This weekend I will have time to try everything that people post for the next few days.

Would like to know what version of CorelDraw to download JUST in case this driver works :) !!

You can use most any vector program to make your designs and save as an .eps file and import into Signblazer.  But because Signblazer has not been upgraded for many years, it has to be an older version .eps file like version 8 .eps...  Not just Corel software is available for this...There are other options.  And Signblazer is also a design program...as well as a cutting program.

Inkscape.org is a FREE open source  vector program that many use....

most of the value cutters use usb emulation chips for the usb port - so you  may need to go the manufacturers site and find the drivers for that also - like with the mh and creation machines they use the fti emulation chipset that has to be downloaded in addition to the regular drivers - 

most of the value cutters use usb emulation chips for the usb port - so you  may need to go the manufacturers site and find the drivers for that also - like with the mh and creation machines they use the fti emulation chipset that has to be downloaded in addition to the regular drivers - 

Yep.

The BridgeCutter website suggests CDM driver

http://www.bridgecutters.com/download/CDM_2%5B1%5D.02.04_WHQL_Certified.zip

3) Wild Goose, I made that "Chinese Comment" because the manual is written by some Chinese guy that doesn't know how to write a manual very well. Pics and all the cd's we put in were in Chinese. Not to mention my last name is Wong, but I don't know any Chinese, except "2hunglow" ;) As far as the Aloha and E Komo Mai, pretty good there buddy :) Your nephew, friends and family are military or civilian? Vasi family living on "my side". Just FYI, I live in Kaneohe, by Windward Mall on Oahu.

BWAAAHAAHAAAHAA! You're going into the wrong business. You should do stand-up! Too funny! 

My nephew is an electrician sent over there from the mainland to install new light bulbs in all the federal buildings or something. (No kidding, thanks to the Bush rules about incandescent bulbs) He has had a hard time I guess because the locals don't really like having a "haole" boss. Good news is he's a 6'5" monster with attitude to spare (used to be a bouncer) so he eventually got things squared away and can talk pigeon with the best of them now. I think they are slated to stay another year or two and have made a lot of memories over there but are getting homesick for the Idaho desert. He lives near Ewa Beach? Not sure of the topography over there. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I'll have time to try everything more this weekend, and Jay, I'll try to get the pic of the back of my computer going before then.

WG, Ewa Beach is on the other side of the island from me. I used to work in the union, and some of those guys can be REAL jerks to haoles...so sad, but that's the way feeble minds work :(

Glad he has the personality to deal with it ;)

Everyone else, thanks for the support, I will let you know what happens (if anything)

:)

FH

Hi Jay,

Ok, FINALLY found my model and manual online. But it won't let me copy and paste the photos like you did, I can't even copy and past the darn URL   :(

So, I'll write out the URL by hand   :(

My computer is the ET2411

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/DigitalHome/DAV/ET2411/manual_E7102_ET2411.pdf

Pages 17-20 show all the ports and stuff I have. You spoke of that "Keyspan Adaptor", but I see a LOT of negative comments about that thing not working!!!

Either way, don't matter, as I don't have a serial port :(

I have never seen anything bad about the Trip lite Keyspan Adapter,,  That is the brand name... It is highly recommended by tech support.here.. Either that or a Belkin... Don't buy a Best Buy, Radio Shack..etc..

You don't need a serial port for the  Trip lite Keyspan adapter.  The USB end plugs into your computer,  then a null modem cable to the Keyspan Adapter, then to your vinyl cutter .  It has it's own driver.

Being shown as an example only....  Do some searches of this forum...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyspan-by-Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-Hi-Speed-USB-Serial-Adapter-PC-MAC-supports-Ci-/360859667545?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5404e98c59

Skeeter,

Much Mahalos :) !!!! I downloaded Inkscape tonight and also Signblazer last night.

About the Keyspan adaptor....usb to computer end....yeesh...I forgot about that :(

Do you think that would be better than usb on both the computer to the vinyl cutter??

The one you just had a link to on eBay...why don't I buy that one? You say to search, but I wouldn't know what to look for in that adaptor, unless you mean to search on the forum

to see if someone likes another kind of Keyspan adaptor ??

Thanks again,

FH

You can search different things..  You stated you heard bad things...Do a search and you will hear good things,  The Keyspan has helped many people....   Also search Ebay and others for the BEST PRICE...   This controls the data better... The Refine vinyl cutters are limited on memory also.  Just read the section here on Refine MH cutters ...

A serial connection is always better than a value cutter USB connection. 

Your welcome,  ;D   Hope it helps you....

Side note: Getting a TON of pop up ads from Fast Light. Going to try Google it to get rid of it.

Pray for me please, that I'm successful ;)

If I find the link to do it, I'll post it in this post.

FH

Frustrated?, once you get your cutter going, you will need to change your screen name.

I used the USB to USB connection on my cutter and had nothing but problems. The USB ports on the chinese cutters are usually sub-par is why so many people have problems. A serial connection to your cutter is the best way to go with the chinese cutters. Graphtecs and Rolands do not have the same USB issues so I'm told. The Keyspan adapter emulates the serial port on computers that don't have one and has solved many users issues.

I ordered a Tripp lite Keyspan Adapter about 2 weeks ago from this seller. for my old value cutter.    Great price!!!..Total $12.62 with shipping. ;D   to me. .(I notice they play with the prices back and forth.)..  Came Fast also,  New in Package.   I just put it away, in case I ever want to sell my value cutter or give to my grand kids.   I didn't know about a Tripp Lite  Keyspan Adapter when I started in 2006. LOL   But at this price,,always great to have one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121499967312?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 2

Ok everyone, I'm back. I'm so p!!sed at this machine, I can't find help enough on it that'll do me any good. So....I sold some stuff and the past few months, saved up $1,000. I figure I better get a newer machine, and one that more people like you are more knowledgeable about.  I want to do vinyl lettering, graphics (later as I learn more) and t-shirts (looking at a lot of forums about my machine, it seems like t-shirts are a great money-maker also). So, with my limited budget and have only seeing my friend's cricut machine, I'm wondering to do smaller graphics (3" vinyl detailed pics of fish such as Wahoo), what should I get? A MH 28", a SC 25", or a TITAN 1,2 or 3. I want to start asap, but want your people's opinions 1st. Is it worth the extra money I'll have to save up more? I know the Graphtec is WAYYY out of the question now, so please, be nice :) !!!

I just noticed the "specials." In the boatload section, they have the Titan 2 for $995. How much worth it is the Titan 3?? It boasts contour cutting, but does it really? Is this THAT important for me??

If you recommend the Titan 3, then I could only afford the 15" model for now :(

I'd like to get a heat press at the same time, and I saw a lot of comments, not to get the small one, but at least a 15x19 clamshell. They have it in the boatload section for $299.99.9999999

Thanks again for  your patience and understanding :-\

Aloha,

FH

MH I would never recommend. The SC has a good following on here and I have  a laserpoint 2 as a backup cutter but the Titans seem to be having some bugs to work out yet as far as long term durabilityand of course my personal favorite if you can swing it is a Graphtec.

I ran a P-Cut for several years (no longer offered by USCutter but similar in the line-up to the Laser Point 2) While it definitely had it's limitations it was still a surprisingly good machine and I was able to do just about everything I wanted, IMO the biggest downer for the SC or LP2 is that if you are trying to do mass production you will be severely limited and the accuracy is definitely a factor although mostly when going real big or real small. I would recommend either of those two to get you up and running with minimal upfront expense and a fairly quick ROI if you are producing shirts and decals. 

Thanks you two :) !!!!!!!!!!! I think I appreciate the feedback. Glad to hear the Titan's has issues, save me some money :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The more I look at stuff, that $1,000 isn't going to go very far :(

I can't really see myself getting the starter kit, because I'm not needing any color except for glossy black for now (famous last words, I know.... ;) )

So, what do I REALLY NEED??

1) Heat Press Machine for T-shirts: A) Brand? B) Size? (I hear the 15x15 is too small, but how big do I really have to go to do a XXXL comfortably??

2) X-acto Blade = got one

3) Cutting Mat? How big do I need one?

and like I said above, what do I REALLY NEED?

Thank you in advance :)

FH

I got by with a 15"x 15" for many years and it works ok. It's rare that you will do designs much wider than that and if you do vinyl can be applied in more than one press cycle, just do one and scoot it over and finish the rest. I used the swing-out press (Not the multi-application version) from USCutter and still have it as a back-up machine. The heat was off quite a ways but I figured that out with an infrared temperature gun. 

You can get by with a smaller cutting mat too but I use a 37"x 25" green mat that my wife got me for Christmas a couple years back. 

Don't buy the starter kit IMO. 

Get some real transfer tape (Hi-tack paper is best) I have tried using contact paper and it sucks comparatively. You are going to want a few squeegee's too. I like the 3M gold. I also keep a 3M blue around, it's softer than the gold but they wear out quicker too. USCutter has some real hard white ones that work fine for app tape and what not.