GraphxNMore

Question about mugs

When doing mugs, is there a downside to printing fronts and backs separately? I'd like to utilize as much space on the paper as possible. It just seems like a waste of space to leave all that blank between both sides. Will the tape that is in direct contact with the heat leave a mark? 

ok re read the post and think I know what you are saying - you can tape each side on but I try to cover the entire mug so in my case it didn't matter - but I get what you are saying.  

Yes, like the one on the far right in your bottom picture..... Say you want to put a date or name on the opposite side. I've read on here that tape will leave a stain.

I was told by conde years ago you can go back an add more later -just never tried it - never had a problem with tape  leaving mark either - I have cut apart a printed page I misjudged by a smidge from one side to the other and taped it back together so the images came out perfect

• Like 1

I have done it several times with no problem and I have NEVER seen any signs of where the tape was. I have also added something different to the other side the next day and didn't see any difference. I will say that mug sized paper (9.5"x4") is only about $7 for a pack of 100 so at .07 per page its worth it to me to print both sides at the same time and not have to fool with lining anything up. At most you are going to save 1/2 sheet, the aggravation isn't worth that .035 cents to me LOL

• Like 6

What is your preferred printer?  My needs are simple.  Just mostly black text on one side of the mug.  Other colors if the buyer chooses but I don't think I'll be putting actual photos on.

I prefer the ricohs with sublimaiton ink - they are more forgiving when not used for a couple months at a time.  if you think you will be making sublimation items every other day then a epson with cobra inks - or if you want to remember to print every other day when you aren't using it.  I tend to turn mine off for a couple months at a time so I pay more for the gel ink ricoh sublimation printer like usc sells

• Like 1

are you using a mug press or wrap. This question is for all who do mugs. ? 

One of the few who uses a press happily. I made a template so when I design I stay out of the areas close to the handles and the very bottom where the press never seems to get the mugs hot enough. If I did a ton of mugs I'd upgrade to wraps but I do less than a case a year so this works for me.

• Like 1

are you using a mug press or wrap. This question is for all who do mugs. ? 

I have both. The wraps are good for edge to edge designs, but for the quick picture or text mug that is inside the "cold" zone of the press I use my press. I also bought a small convection oven from Wally World to keep in my office to use with my wraps.

What is your preferred printer?  My needs are simple.  Just mostly black text on one side of the mug.  Other colors if the buyer chooses but I don't think I'll be putting actual photos on.

I have the Epson WF30 from Cobra and have been very happy with it. When I have no work for customers, I either do a full color print or make a Sub sample for my sample case

• Like 2

I just did 4 cases (144) mugs for a wedding, almost all the mugs were with an image on one side. However a couple of them needed special stuff on the back like mother and father of he bride and groom and so on. I mistakenly forgot to put one of the additions on the back side of the mug and added it to a mug i had already pressed i just covered the image from the first press with a piece of blank copy paper folded over with no issues. As far as tape residue everything was fine until like the last 3 mugs, ran out of heat tape and used some very very small pieces of blue painters tape and yes those left little light grey marks on the mugs that you really wouldn't see from a foot a way but looking at the mugs closely you can see were the tape was.