Sign in to follow this  
Wildgoose

Riddle me this Sublimators

I have been researching sublimation. My main inroad will be high performance apparel. I am leaning toward an epson due to start-up cost for wide format being so much cheaper that direction. So far I have not seen any negatives associated with the epson version of printer and ink if any have some feedback I would sure listen. Anyway, as I have been reading up and watching videos I have a couple probably dumb questions for the experienced users:

#1. I have watched several shirts being made and they pretty much all just flop the shirt out there and stick the sublimation print on top and press it without threading the shirt or putting some sort of paper in the middle. I can't understand how that process would not also transfer into/onto the other side of the shirt. Maybe it does and they just don't show it. Please explain.

#2.  Many of the vids show these people pressing the sublimation transfer without any kind of platen protection at all. This too seems silly. Am I missing something on either of these two points?

Thanks

sometimes i use a cover but if its already been sub.the reason i think it dont sub the other side is cause the bottom platen is not hot.

As for threading you dont need to but its better if u do have a threadable platen

• Like 1

I Thread when I can but I've never had it blow through to the other side of the shirt. As far as sacrificial paper covering I learnt the hard way and always cover up what I'm sublimating, especially dark prints. They tend to bleed into the blowout paper more than lighter prints.

Parchment paper is cheaper than throwing away any type of substrate...... just sayin.

The only knock I've heard about the Epson is nozzle cleaning after it sets a few days. Don't know how true it is.... I got lucky and got a Ricoh from Conde, with Sublijet inks and $50+ worth of freebies for $295 on Black Friday; or I would own an Epson with Cobra inks.

• Like 1

Parchment paper is cheaper than throwing away any type of substrate...... just sayin.

The only knock I've heard about the Epson is nozzle cleaning after it sets a few days. Don't know how true it is.... I got lucky and got a Ricoh from Conde, with Sublijet inks and $50+ worth of freebies for $295 on Black Friday; or I would own an Epson with Cobra inks.

That's for the smaller paper though isn't it? After going through this with transfer papers I already know I want the ability to go up to the 11"x 17" and 13"x 19" sizes for larger shirt prints and to be able to have enough room print registration marks and utilize my cutter to contour cut. 

• Like 1

That's for the smaller paper though isn't it? After going through this with transfer papers I already know I want the ability to go up to the 11"x 17" and 13"x 19" sizes for larger shirt prints and to be able to have enough room print registration marks and utilize my cutter to contour cut. 

Yes, 8 1/2X11. The wide format Ricoh wasn't worth the extra half million. LOL

• Like 1

The big ricoh is around a grand which is why I went epson for my large format sublimation. Mine is working equally as well as my ricoh at this point in time but I run a print twice a week just to reduce chance of clogs

• Like 3

I have the big richo and I love it. I do always use cover paper on bottom and top when I press. I sometimes use the thread paper but not always.

I had epsons before I got my small Ricoh so I knew all about the potential for clogs but the price difference was just too much for me to justify the big Ricoh although it is always reassuring knowing that no matter what when I hit print on the Ricoh it prints perfect every time.

• Like 1

I have an Epson that doesn't get used that much. I have problems with clogs all the time. I waste more ink cleaning clogs than actually printing.

I've never had a problem with my richoh I think its worth the extra not to have to worry about clogs. Like jaybiid says just hit print and a perfect picture every time.

• Like 1

Jay, just print a test page a couple times a week. Easier than clearing clogs.

My regular printer died so I using my Sublimation printer for everything. No clogs for a while but the ink is expensive.

• Like 1

Ricoh printers are good till they die and thats it trash. they run a auto nozzle clean so they dont clog. epson all you have to do is run one or twice a week or 2 but sub ink is so cheap now. I have refillable carts and if I dont use it I run a clean. my printer is always looking at me so its easy to run.