lablover

Nesting?

So, I got "for me" a big job..sort off.  Big Family tree thing for in the house.  Bigger than my cutter so looks like I get to use the Tile function in Cutmaster3.  My Vinyl is oracal 631 24" wide  I also have a smaller job for some sandblasting glasses and need to cut myself some stencils out of 631 for the glasses.  See where I'm going here.  I've gone into TIGHT A$$ mode and was wondering if there is a way to nest my stencils in what will be the waste from the tree and cut it all at once.  

I can see that there will be some big pieces going in the trash because of weeding.  I was hoping to get some of those stencils in the same cut job.

Using Illustrator and Cutmaster 3.  Graphtec CE6000

If not no biggie, I was just trying to be thrifty and save my self a few bucks.

Oh yea, I cut into my cutting strip today just a tiny bit!!! I want to puke...LOL

If I can add as well.

Should I leave the tile ing up to cut master?  Never did a tile job yet.  I don't have to install it but I don't want to leave the customer a freakin crazy hard puzzle.  its only 50x50.  Big for me.

I think I'll try a mini version and see how the tile works out

I'm all ears for any advice.  

Not sure about "nesting" but I do what your talking about a lot.  I have  a couple smaller items I use a lot.  When doing bigger projects if I have large areas that are going to be wast and I can't cut them off to save them or anything I will import my littler designs (if colors work out) and just cut them with it.

Yea, I don't think there is a way to do it in cut master but I guess I could copy and paste one cut job into another cut job in illustrator.  Bad thing is there is really no way to cut out my stencils without messing up the backing from the tree cut

OK Joe, stop being a tight A$$

I use SignBlazer for cutting (it's free) and I can import all the files I want into one project!

• Like 1

if you have left over backing cut your stencils, then use application tape to remove it from the original backing and stick it to your scrape backing from another job.

• Like 1

if you have left over backing cut your stencils, then use application tape to remove it from the original backing and stick it to your scrape backing from another job.

Brilliant

After you cut your family tree design, can't you just cut out the large wasted area with scissors and then cut the smaller items using it?

You can do it as mentioned by darkshadow however IMO you will over time end up with WAY more smaller scraps than you can probably utilize and I do most of my stencils from the scrap bin. I do a lot of space using with HTV vinyl but there it no need to keep a nice squared up carrier with HTV so I just chop off the little extras that I squeeze in the open space and save them for later. I would recommend using the tiling feature in your cutting software. I am not familiar with cut master but the program I use (SignCut) does a fantastic worry free job of chopping things up and allowing some overlap. I use 1/4" overlap, this should be user defined somewhere in your cutting program. 

• Like 1