darcshadow

Wet Install question

So I've read up and watched who knows how many videos but I have not been able to get the wet install method to work as well as I feel it should.

I'm using 651, paper tape, and Action Tac fluid and applying to glass. I spray a light misting onto the back of the decal as well as the glass, position the graphic and squeegee the hell out of it. I then let it dry, over night in some cases, but when I go to pull the application tape off I find that there is till some fluid under the graphic preventing it from sticking and it wants to peel up as I pull the tape off. I've tried pealing the tape off both dry and after rewetting but get the same results there is enough fluid under the vinyl that it prevents it from sticking to the glass.

As I said, I squeegeed the hell out of it and can't imagine how I could squeegee any different to get more fluid out. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong, or need to do different? Or is my problem a normal part of the wet application and something you just deal with and be very careful while pulling the app tape off?

The thing that gets me, some parts of the design work great and the vinyl sticks well, but other sections don't and there doesn't seem to be any reason as to why.

Don't spray the back of the graphic until you are completely done. I apply a light mist on the substrate and then carefully squeegee from the center out in nice even controlled stokes. Plenty of pressure but don't just go all different directions. The idea is that you are pushing the fluid and any air out as you go leaving none behind. Once you have a good once over I like to let it sit for 10 minutes or so and then I spray the back of the paper and give it a few seconds to loosen it's hold and carefully pull it just like you would without fluid (with a severe angle to the design as possible). If you have really small lettering or sometimes complicated graphics then it will cause you more problems than a big solid piece. I try not to wet apply unless there is just too much risk of failure due to size or curved surfaces. 

I've never used Action Tac. Try using distilled water, a cap full of isopropyl alcohol, and a drop of dish soap. That has worked for me with wet installs. I've even used it with clear app tape with no issues.

I use soapy water and have not had a problem one. I never spray the back of the decal or spray the app tape. I will squeege until i do not see anymore water

Next time I'll do it I'll try just a light misting on the glass and see how that works for me. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1

I've never used Action Tac. Try using distilled water, a cap full of isopropyl alcohol, and a drop of dish soap. That has worked for me with wet installs. I've even used it with clear app tape with no issues.

Just curious, what qty of water are you using for this formula, a gallon. The reason I am asking is I have a 3'x10' banner to letter. It just says "for rent" and I'll break the two words apart, but I still doubt I can get it down without some bubbles. Does the wet app. work the same way on a banner?

Thanks, brian

Woodworkingace. it does work the same.. did one not long ago with a wet applcation and it worked good..   

Just curious, what qty of water are you using for this formula, a gallon. The reason I am asking is I have a 3'x10' banner to letter. It just says "for rent" and I'll break the two words apart, but I still doubt I can get it down without some bubbles. Does the wet app. work the same way on a banner? Thanks, brian

In one of those 12" high, or so, spray bottles. Yes, you can apply wet to a banner.

I flood the area of the substrate and the vinyl as I removethe backing to keep the vinyl from sticking to its self. Most of the spray runs off before you get the vinyl down but allows movement to align the vinyl. Small things on glass I do dry.

• Like 2

As a vinyl graphics company for 24 years, we never use wet application on glass or banners. It takes too long to pull the application tape. We tape the graphic in place with 2 verticle pieces of good masking tape, measure from a level point, then tape along the top edge, 1/2 on the glass or banner to make a hinge . Usually, you can take scissors, or carefully use a cut off knife from the bottom up to the tape to end up with smaller areas to squeegee. Your graphic is locked in place with the hinge tape. Lift the bottom the graphic away from the project far enough to be able to pull the backing paper down. Hold the bottom edge about 3" away from the project, then start at the top and squeegee down evenly along the hinge tape to the bottom. Do not lay the whole grapic down at 1 time! Let the squeegee do the work! Move on to the next section and repeat. Easy peasy...There is no reason to have to slide graphics around to install. Good even pressure on a good ( GOLD 3-M ) is the answer.

Cheap squeeges of any other color will cup from using them on pre-mask. The 2 ridges on squeeges can be used to straighten the edge on a worn one. For fun, if you have anything but gold ones, stand one on edge on s straight edge to see if the whole length touches. If not, you're putting bubbles under the vinyl.

• Like 3