xhydro

Anyone got a good home brew for wet app fluid?

Being a rookie at this vinyl cutting, I want to try wet application, but I don't know what to use for fluid.

Is there somthing I can mix up at home?

Thanks Tom

for 1 quart:

75% water

25% Rubbing alcohol NOT denatured)

3-4 drops dishwashing liquid.

If you make a gallon at a time like I do, 4-5 drops of dishwashing liquid will do.

Thanks.  Also I just saw I posted this in the wrong spot, sorry my bad.

Tom

for 1 quart:

75% water

25% Rubbing alcohol NOT denatured)

3-4 drops dishwashing liquid.

If you make a gallon at a time like I do, 4-5 drops of dishwashing liquid will do.

Same here without the alcohol. Clear ivory liquid.

Working for over 20 years.

i have tried to use 75% water

25% alcohol

3-4 drops soap

and have been having alot of trouble with the decal not sticking to glass. what am i doing wrong? if i use just rubbing alcohol i don't have a problem. but i have a big van job comming up and i think i will have a problem doing it dry.  any help?? please

no idea ...if I squeegie well, glass is the easiest for me. You might try increasing the amount of alcohol. I actually use 50% on some applications.

Make sure the glass is cleaned really good with the same solution, prior to starting the wet app., make sure rain-x wasn't previously used on the glass.

Are you using regular app tape, or clear app tape?

r-tape and i wipe he window clean with alcohol.  must have to squeggie more.

Need to squeegee real good when applying wet.  Once you squeegee all the app solution out, it does help to wet the backing of the tape (which will loosen the backing from the vinyl).

Also, helps if it is still warm outside to help in the overall evaporation.  I pushed a job too far into the evening, once, and it cooled down enough that it took a while before I could remove the app tape on the last part of the job.  The part I did when it was warmer outside took much less time before I could remove the tape.

i have tried to use 75% water

25% alcohol

3-4 drops soap

and have been having alot of trouble with the decal not sticking to glass. what am i doing wrong? if i use just rubbing alcohol i don't have a problem. but i have a big van job comming up and i think i will have a problem doing it dry.  any help?? please

Small suggestion.  I became more frustrated with doing wet installs so I forced myself to learn to do dry installs. I then met someone who told me to use less liquid.  I never really went back and tried it, but maybe if you try using 1/2 as much liquid as you're using, and still squeegie the daylights out of it, it might help.

Coincidentally, are you hinging it?

Guest Terry

I only use Rapid Tac..... But was thinking of trying windshield washer fluid.

Guest Terry

Well if it does I won't use it, but there are different brand mixes, all have alky I think so it won't freeze.

I use the same thing I use when I tint windows.... Baby shampoo and water. 32 oz spray bottle with 3 squeezes of the baby shampoo.. Not an exact science but I have filled millions of bottles so I have a good feel for the proper squeeze. Don't use medicated shampoo just buy the cheapest baby shampoo you can find.

• Like 2

I use the same thing I use when I tint windows.... Baby shampoo and water. 32 oz spray bottle with 3 squeezes of the baby shampoo.. Not an exact science but I have filled millions of bottles so I have a good feel for the proper squeeze. Don't use medicated shampoo just buy the cheapest baby shampoo you can find.

this is what i use also B)

• Like 1

Someone recommended using a few drops of Johnsons Baby Shampoo in water. Has anyone ever tried this?

Bruce

Someone recommended using a few drops of Johnsons Baby Shampoo in water. Has anyone ever tried this?

Bruce

it works fine.Soap is soap as long as it doesn't have any additives in it that will degrade the adhesive.

use the cheap baby shampoo make sure it DOES NOT have an hypoallergenic or anything like that... I buy a huge bottle from the local $1 store its the same thing I use for tinting windows works great just let the customer know they may see a white foggy look for a few hours until it dries all the way...

baby shampoo + water + vinegar = result    ;D   ;D

how long do you leave the app tape on in general. I did a cutting board - of course, in the house with controlled temp- and had to leave it all nite so the vinyl wouldn'l lift.  So, for outside windows, what is a reasonable timeframe. ?

Seconds after squeegeeing it should peel if done slowly. Were you using paper tape or clear plastic tape? Plastic tape is a definite no-no with wet app.