VinylRevamp

newbie ?

.EPS is short for Encapsulated Postscript - its a classic vector file format that I believe (and feel free to correct me) was developed by Adobe and is sort of the de facto standard for vector graphics

.SVG is short for Scalable Vector Graphics is a more open source type file format that is commonly used for graphics online.

They are both vector graphic formats, just one is more "professional" (.EPS) than the other (.SVG).

Most modern software packages can support at least one of these two formats.

QUOTE> "...one is more "professional" (.EPS) than the other (.SVG)."

Really? Please explain how you arrived at this conclusion.

• Like 1

Here is a good link about the various advantages of each file type. svg is just newer and has some advantages that are probably over my head. I know that svg files tend to be much smaller in file size which is nice. I have had some size related issues when I go to cut so I have switched back to my old standby .ai version 8 for cut files. 

http://designer-info.com/Photo/advanced_file_formats.htm

• Like 1

This is what I've noticed in inkscape.

When I save as a .svg it saves the text as text and I can edited it as text when I open the file back up.

If I save as an .eps it converts text to a path and I can no long edit the text when I open them up. 

That's an inkscape thing. Inkscape doesn't really support eps so it converts everything to simple paths when it saves stuff as an eps.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, goose. Good info in there.

You should have a look at it, OW.

Here is a good link about the various advantages of each file type. svg is just newer and has some advantages that are probably over my head. I know that svg files tend to be much smaller in file size which is nice. I have had some size related issues when I go to cut so I have switched back to my old standby .ai version 8 for cut files. 

http://designer-info.com/Photo/advanced_file_formats.htm

great read - would be interesting to see a new version that was written more recently - since 2000 i am sure a lot has changed as it seams every couple years things keep changing

great read - would be interesting to see a new version that was written more recently - since 2000 i am sure a lot has changed as it seams every couple years things keep changing

There is probably a better article but I was hurrying out. I have a similar one broken down into sections at home that I occasionally give out with logo design packages so the clients better understand all the formats that come in my pack. 

• Like 1