Sign in to follow this  
GraphxNMore

"ghost" image

First sub item, figured I'd start small to make sure everything was ready to go. Colors look great, I just have a ghost image above the actual design. Barely visible, but it's there. More pressure?post-37957-0-39626800-1417712161_thumb.j

Ghosting usually means the paper shifted. Try either high temp tape or high temp spray adhesive to hold from shifting. I've had this happen while opening the press and the paper shifted slightly which is why I secure them now.

• Like 1

If it lifted with the press and fell back down that much distance can happen. Can't think of any other reason for ghosting like that and the faintness means it didn't spend a lot of time hot either.

that is part of the ink sublimating, once turned to gas it will attach to anything near it  - shifted or not - they hit it right on the head above!

You are using a cover sheet of some sort, right?  Parchment paper, Teflon sheet, etc?  If you didn't, then sublimation ink can end up on the press platen and leave ghost images - look at the back side of the sublimation transfer and see if you see anything there...

True ,  you want to use butcher paper Sam's sells like a huge roll ,  I think its a 1,000 feet for twenty dollars.  Always use a fresh piece if you dont as said it can be on the press and you will go to do a shirt after that dog tag and can end up with the image of the dog tag on the shirt.

I know because I have done it ... ;D

• Like 1

You are using a cover sheet of some sort, right?  Parchment paper, Teflon sheet, etc?  If you didn't, then sublimation ink can end up on the press platen and leave ghost images - look at the back side of the sublimation transfer and see if you see anything there...

"first sub item"...... definitely wasn't anything on the platen.  lol  I placed a teflon sheet on bottom, then my paper on it, then the tag, then another teflon sheet and pressed. There was nothing to secure it as I was mainly checking the color profile. My heat tape didn't arrive with the setup and I'm too damn impatient to wait. LOLI do know that everything was as it was exactly where it was after opening press. 

You put the tag on top of the transfer when you pressed?  It should be other way around - dog tag facing up - transfer (on top) facing down - and then protective paper on top of that...

• Like 2

"first sub item"...... definitely wasn't anything on the platen.  lol  I placed a teflon sheet on bottom, then my paper on it, then the tag, then another teflon sheet and pressed. There was nothing to secure it as I was mainly checking the color profile. My heat tape didn't arrive with the setup and I'm too damn impatient to wait. LOLI do know that everything was as it was exactly where it was after opening press. 

If it wasn't taped or adhesived down then it wasn't in the same place when you lifted the top platen back up, not on a hard substrate. The force and wind if you so wish to call it will move the paper when you lift the top platen backup.  You may not see it but it will and with dye sub even a small tiny micro movement can leave the ghost print. 

• Like 1

Not sure where the little red mark came from either?  What DPI was the image, it doesn't look all that clear unless its the photo.  Everything with sublimation has to be super clean and paper also used on top of whatever you are pressing.

Some tags have protective plastic on them that you want to remove first before pressing.  I have also noticed if you press to long yo will get a blurred look.  Its just a matter of trying different things until you figure out the time temp and pressure.  Every press is different when it comes to results...

post-2057-0-79892800-1417783894_thumb.jp

The little red spot is the very bottom tip of the USA Flag. That's how off it was. 

And OWJ, per Conde's instructions and theor video tutorial, lay the paper down and the tag on top. This would also prevent the afore mentioned whisp of wind blowing the paper around.

http://www.dyetrans.com/instructions.php?webmaincat=sub_prods&websubcat=dog_tags&product=%201-Sided%20White%20Tag

Oh, and that black speck on the flag is actually a spot where the white was scratched off upon arrival at my house. LOL

You will catch on real quick,   we have all made the mistakes we are trying to help people avoid.  I have also seen an image (sublimation) transfer to a Teflon sheet and then when you press something different such as a white shirt,   see a ghost image of the previous image.  Thatch why we are saying always use a fresh piece of paper...

• Like 2

And OWJ, per Conde's instructions and theor video tutorial, lay the paper down and the tag on top. This would also prevent the afore mentioned whisp of wind blowing the paper around.

I've done a ton of dog tags and always done them with the transfer on top - facing down.  There are other Conde videos that show it that way and it has always worked for me.

Paper on top for me too. I wish I had thought to take a picture yesterday because I had an ornament ghost om me, not enough spray glue.