Sign in to follow this  
wetstuff

Vinyl in the microwave..

A lady who does embroidery for me asked if I could  ..so I quickly thru a sticker (Oracal 651) on a glazed coffee cup, filled with water and put it in for 1min.  ..not hot enough to make a tea, so I did another 1min.  'With exception' of some truly, micro bubbles - it worked great.  I didn't even bother to prep the cup like the suggestions in the topic below about glass...   A friend has this massive oven and a fancy silkscreen setup to do cup/glass screening but this takes 2 seconds!  

So the question is: is there a better vinyl for things that go into the microwave?  

Thanks.    Jim

3M makes a high heat brake caliper wrap....dont think a microwave will make the cup 100+ degrees lol but hey at least you know it will hold up. 

Microwave ovens can't heat anything above 100°C as they work by exciting water molecules and at 100°C water boils and becomes steam - so you could boil the water in the microwave long enough for the heat from the water to migrate into the ceramic, but I'm pretty sure you would boil all the water away before you ever got the mug close to that hot...

Next time you test, be sure to thoroughly clean the surface before applying and then let it sit for 2-3 days for the adhesive to fully cure before heating - any residual moisture under the vinyl is going to boil and expand and form bubbles, so you want it clean, dry and fully cured before heating.

• Like 3

I've used 651 on tons of mugs with no ill effects and they have been in the microwave dozens of time. Like OW said just make sure your prep is done right.

Never tried mugs with vinyl.

So, how long does the vinyl hold up and still look good?

Can they go through the dishwasher heat cycles too?

Sue2

Don't own a dishwasher but from what I saw I'd think they'd be fine. I stopped doing them when I got into sublimation.

curious on the microwave thing since buying special mugs for work (when i worked in the prison) is do any chemicals come out of vinyl when heated that might contaminate.  seams like it was bpa or something like that  - that at that time was leaching into drinks from plastic (if I remember correctly).  Now I know on a mug it wouldn't be in contact with the food item but heating the vinyl - would it give off anything that might be toxic - especially in a confined space?  just thinking out loud again
back then I was getting camobak drink holders that made it more difficult to drop anything in my drink as I was in a hallway with 600+ prisoners coming to med lines that didn't necessarily like the guy keeping order all the time :\

Don't own a dishwasher but from what I saw I'd think they'd be fine. I stopped doing them when I got into sublimation.

Sublimination...LOL

I don't need another avenue to learn/explore right now!

:huh: 

Sue2

Sublimination...LOL

I don't need another avenue to learn/explore right now!

:huh: 

Sue2

Come on you know you want to. Just try one, you can quit any time...

• Like 1

I've run SignGold on beer mugs, through the microwave, and dishwasher, numerous times, just testing. Don't know if it outgassed anything, or not.